New 10 gal help!

bang guy

The white spots on the fish are not actually the parasite. They are the fish's immune system reacting to the parasite. Once the parasite reproduces they die and the fish heals rapidly.

Thanks Bang Guy and grant778.

I have no clue what is going on. I woke up this morning and he was totally fine, swimming around like normal, not a single spot on him. He even ate more last night, seems to prefer mysis over pellets, don't blame him lol. I don't know what to do, does he have ich or not? I don't want to not set up a quarantine tank and have him die, but I don't want to set up an unnecessary QT tank

I just don't know. I'm going to call my LFS tomorrow and see what they recommend.
Thanks,
-thedragonfish

Algae ID help?
Sorry for the meh pic but does anybody know what kind of algae this is/ how to get rid of it??? It's the long strand thing with the air bubbles in it, right next to my clownfish. I've never seen anything like it.
Thanks,
-thedragonfish

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/396638/new-10-gal-help/40#post_3536687
Hair Algae.

I thought the ling hairs with bubbles are dinoflagellates. OR... is the dinoflagellates (bubbles) attached to the hair algae? I can't get a new picture to load lately...I don't know what's wrong. As long as the was already in my album it's not problem, but I can't add anything new....GGGRRR

Thank you for the algae ID help, still not 100% sure what it is though- I'll try to go to my LFS tomorrow.

So since this is pretty much the only "tank diary" I have, I might as well post an update :)

My sand bed is now basically an algae carpet, hoping to pick up two nassarius snails tomorrow. I hatched half a batch of brine shrimp and fed some to my clown and chromis to see if they liked it- they loved it! Now that I know they will eat it, I'm going to try gut-loading with some phytoplankton, which was recommended to me. Anyway, I'm just very much relieved that my clownfish appears to be eating normally now :)

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted.
-thedragonfish

Weirdly acting astrea snail?

I have two astrea snails, and up until recently, both were all over the glass all the time. Now, however, one has been sitting in the same spot on the sand for a day or so and not moving. I picked him up to see if he was dead, but he responded and pulled even further back into his shell. Anyone know what is going on?

General update: Today I got a six line wrasse! He looks so great in my tank, I got some more LR and made him a tunnel and cave complex. He's swimming through the rock and out in the open with my clown and chromis, they seem to be getting along :) Got a positive ID on the algae: Hair algae like Bang Guy said. My algae is going down after I reduced my amount of lights during the day, and I'm going to get some ChemiPure Elite to run in my filter. All params are good, temp of 77 F, salinity of 1.023 (I'm going to raise it for coral keeping later.) Snails and hermits making progress on my algae. Overall, very happy so far. However, I'm fearing a coming attack of New Tank Syndrome, so I don't want to jinx anything.

Thanks for reading my post!!
-thedragonfish

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonfish http:///t/396638/new-10-gal-help/40#post_3537290

I have two astrea snails, and up until recently, both were all over the glass all the time. Now, however, one has been sitting in the same spot on the sand for a day or so and not moving. I picked him up to see if he was dead, but he responded and pulled even further back into his shell. Anyone know what is going on?

General update: Today I got a six line wrasse! He looks so great in my tank, I got some more LR and made him a tunnel and cave complex. He's swimming through the rock and out in the open with my clown and chromis, they seem to be getting along :) Got a positive ID on the algae: Hair algae like Bang Guy said. My algae is going down after I reduced my amount of lights during the day, and I'm going to get some ChemiPure Elite to run in my filter. All params are good, temp of 77 F, salinity of 1.023 (I'm going to raise it for coral keeping later.) Snails and hermits making progress on my algae. Overall, very happy so far. However, I'm fearing a coming attack of New Tank Syndrome, so I don't want to jinx anything.

Thanks for reading my post!!
-thedragonfish

Hi,

If you already have a hair algae battle going on...Chemipure won't help much, if you are serious about corals...get yourself a GFO reactor, the Two little fishes one, or better yet a BRS (Bulk Reef supply) duel reactor for carbon and GFO. The bottom line is that if you get rid of the phosphates the hair algae will starve out. Keeping carbon running will help curb the chemical warfare the corals produce to attack each other.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonfish http:///t/396638/new-10-gal-help/40#post_3537290

This is a symptom of low salinity, starvation, osmotic shock, excess ammonia, or a few other less common ailments. Apparently we can rule out starvation but without posting water parameters it's impossible to guess further.

Quote:
This is a symptom of low salinity, starvation, osmotic shock, excess ammonia, or a few other less common ailments. Apparently we can rule out starvation but without posting water parameters it's impossible to guess further.
My water parameters as 30 seconds ago:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
ph: 8.4
Salinity: 1.023
(I use the API Saltwater Master Test Kit btw)

He had been a bit odd since I got him, but was acting normal recently :/

Update :)

So except for that one astrea and hermit, all my inverts are lively and eating algae. My reduced lighting schedule is helping a lot with the algae.

My six line is very active, darting amongst the caves and tunnels and also swimming out in the open occasionally too. Nibbled at the mysis when I fed today, I take that as a good sign :)

I will post again soon.
-thedragonfish

My six line died a week ago :( My water params were and are perfect, he had plenty of food and hiding spots. I just woke up one morning and he was skulking under a rock, didn't respond when I fed, moved a bit when i scooted the rock a little to see if he was even alive but then was still again. When I got home, he was dead and my other fish had eaten most of him. I had seen no signs of aggression from my wrasse nor had I seen any signs of aggression towards him. The guy at my LFS thought maybe since he had arrived at the LFS only a short while ago then being moved to my tank was too much stress for him. I really don't know.

Anyway, a few days ago I got a lawnmower blenny, after testing my water three times and having an in-depth discussion about every aspect of my tank with the guy at my LFS. The entire back wall of my tank was covered in diatom and hair algae, and it is 90% gone now thanks to my blenny. He's getting started on my rock now. He has the funniest personality, always perching in various spots and attacking the algae.

I'll update later,
-thedragonfish

Coral ideas?

I have a 20 inch T5HO fixture with one white bulb and one actinic bulb. Tank size: 10 gallons. 1 clown, one chromis, one lawnmower blenny. One astrea, two nerites, four blue-leg hermits. Any coral ideas for a newbie with this set-up?

Thanks in advance!
-thedragonfish

snakeblitz33

sure, I have a few - as long as you are running some carbon.

zooanthids, mushrooms, xenia, anthelia, small toadstool leathers, stylophora histrix, encrusting gorgonians, small nepthia and other small leathers - Kenya, etc. ricordea can be pretty easy - and so can some of the hardier lps corals like trumpet corals and small closed brains.

There are so many different easy corals in this hobby - but with such a small tank, you have to be very careful with everything you add.

Thank you SnakeBlitz33! I decided on a nice rock partially covered with red and green zoas, and a couple of two inch Kenya tree coral frags. The zoas opened up completely within two hours, and the guy at my LFS (who gave me super discounts BTW, about $40 off total!) said it might take the tree coral a couple of days. Here's a pic of the zoas:

Thanks again!
-thedragonfish

Hi! I see that you were looking for a sand sifter for a ten gallon tank. Can I recommend the two spot goby? They only get a few inches long, and are suitable for a ten gallon tank.

EDIT: unless you're not looking at a ten gallon anymore.