New 100g tank diary!! Will need help along the way

just ordered a new 100 gallon tank. Haven't started cycling, will start sat. Needed help withh the stock list :) here are SOME of the fish I am considering. Of course these all couldn't go in the same tank.
Pink tail trigger
Sailfin tang or desjardini (would probably be ONLY tang)
Marine betta
Copperband butterfly
Moorish idol? (just a suggestion might be too big)
Undulatus trigger
Emperor angel (I know this would probably NOT work, but if at all possible would love)
Bicolor angel
Majestic angel (?)
Some type of anthias that you think?
Pair of mocha clowns
Blue spot puffer
Orange tail blenny
I know this is WAY too much for my tank, these are just fish I liked. I know half of these are probably going to be narrowed out, just wanted to see what you think. Please don't get mad at me, these will NOT all go in the same tank!

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mus1cizmythang http:///forum/thread/386986/new-100g-tank-diary-will-need-help-along-the-way#post_3401727
just ordered a new 100 gallon tank. Haven't started cycling, will start sat. Needed help withh the stock list :) here are SOME of the fish I am considering. Of course these all couldn't go in the same tank.
Pink tail trigger Needs at min 180G tank
Sailfin tang or desjardini (would probably be ONLY tang) Tangs are open swimmers these both should not be in less that 180G Pick a smaller tang, Powder Brown, Kole, Scopas, Yellow Tang
Marine betta
Copperband butterfly Very Fragile Fish and very hard to keep and hard to get eating not for a Beginner
Moorish idol? (just a suggestion might be too big) Expert Fish and should be left in the Ocean where it belongs not in a tank.
Undulatus trigger Also no less than 180G tank
Emperor angel (I know this would probably NOT work, but if at all possible would love) Can reach upto 1 foot or more so shouldn't be in anything less than a 225G tank
Bicolor angel Dwarf Angel would work in the tank
Majestic angel (?) Again a Large Angel that should not be housed in anything less than 180g tank
Some type of anthias that you think? These would work just make sure to add them all at the same time if you go with more that one of them and only one male in the tank with multi females
Pair of mocha clowns These should also work but remember on 2 of them and not other clowns in the tank get them small and young so they will pair up
Blue spot puffer Can be come aggressive and nip at the fins of other tank mates just be careful and watch to make sure they are not harming the other fish
Orange tail blenny This would work in the tank also
I know this is WAY too much for my tank, these are just fish I liked. I know half of these are probably going to be narrowed out, just wanted to see what you think. Please don't get mad at me, these will NOT all go in the same tank!
I hope this helps, and make sure you do research on all the fish and other inhabitants that you want to put in the tank to see the compatibility of them with others.
Scott

Other, I live in the Denton area. And thanks! No offense to the people that do have all those common fish, but I just see them in EVERY dang tank. I want something original, and not as usual as those fish :)
Scott- I dont know that I would call myself a beginner. I did my dues on my first 2 small tanks and now I'm going bigger. My dad has a degree in marine biology and has kept tanks all his life, so if I need any help I can go to him. Thanks for all that information, I jus think some of those tank sizes are exaggerated/controversial. I've seen many ranges of tank sizes and have researched almost every fish on my list and I haven't come across some of those sizes. Where did you get them? And yes, I don't know why I put the moorish idol and emperor on here. Duh. Just love them alot :)

Also, I read multiple websites that said a sailfin could go in a little bit smaller of a tank such as 90-100 gallons. I know Tangs are open swimmers but I thought just ONE sailfin might be okay? Maybe not, not trying to argue just saying what I read.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mus1cizmythang http:///forum/thread/386986/new-100g-tank-diary-will-need-help-along-the-way#post_3401745
Other, I live in the Denton area. And thanks! No offense to the people that do have all those common fish, but I just see them in EVERY dang tank. I want something original, and not as usual as those fish :)
Scott- I dont know that I would call myself a beginner. I did my dues on my first 2 small tanks and now I'm going bigger. My dad has a degree in marine biology and has kept tanks all his life, so if I need any help I can go to him. Thanks for all that information, I jus think some of those tank sizes are exaggerated/controversial. I've seen many ranges of tank sizes and have researched almost every fish on my list and I haven't come across some of those sizes. Where did you get them? And yes, I don't know why I put the moorish idol and emperor on here. Duh. Just love them alot :)
Yes, I have also seen tank sizes that range on the fish also, but I have taken the tank sizes and used an average of what the fish should be in. I am by no means an expert on SWF, but I have been researching the hobby and fish for as you can see by my join date for over 2 years now. One thing you have to remember about tangs they are open swimmers and they can swim miles a day. With the Angels if you keep them in to small of a tank they can become very aggressive towards other fish. You are free to choose what ever fish you want for your tank, that is the wonderful thing in this hobby. There are many people that keep those fish in smaller tanks that what I have quoted with no problems, But does it mean that they should be subjected to that confinement when they should be in a bigger tank? Is it for me to say they should or should not be? The answer for me to both of those questions is No. I think all the fish that you have listed are beautiful fish and would love to have them in a tank. Someday I will have a larger tank then the 75G that I am currently setting up, then I will be able to enjoy them then.
Scott

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mus1cizmythang http:///forum/thread/386986/new-100g-tank-diary-will-need-help-along-the-way#post_3401750
Also, I read multiple websites that said a sailfin could go in a little bit smaller of a tank such as 90-100 gallons. I know Tangs are open swimmers but I thought just ONE sailfin might be okay? Maybe not, not trying to argue just saying what I read.
Yes, I have also read that, also read that you could keep a Yellow or a Powder Brown, in a 50G tank. I have also read that you could keep a Blue Hippo tang in a 90G tank. Would I do it NO, I plan on putting a Powder Brown in my 75G yes, but within the next 18 months I plan on upgrading. If I do not get the upgrade done and no matter how sad it makes me I will sell the fish to someone with a bigger tank that is more suited for it..
I am not taking it as you are arguing with me. We are discussing what we have read. I agree to disagree!!!

so basically, the only fish out of those I could do would be the dwarf angel, anthias, blenny, and mocha pair? What would you say about a longfin banner? Lemon peel angel?
And so NO Tangs in a 100 gallon basically?

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mus1cizmythang http:///forum/thread/386986/new-100g-tank-diary-will-need-help-along-the-way#post_3401759
so basically, the only fish out of those I could do would be the dwarf angel, anthias, blenny, and mocha pair? What would you say about a longfin banner? Lemon peel angel?
And so NO Tangs in a 100 gallon basically?
I didnt say no tangs in the 100G there are the ones that I mentioned Powder Brown, Scopas, Yellow, Yellow Eye Kole,, Whitecheek, that would work in the tank. Or if you planned on upgrading to a bigger tank in 12 to 18 months to a 180 or larger you could go with one of the Sailfins if you got it small.
Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish (Long Fin Bannefish) would work in the tank and you could also do 2 of them if they are added at the same time. Lemon Peel Angle would work also seeing that it is a Dwarf Angel. People have keep 2 Dwarf Angels in a large tank with no Issues.

mproctor4

A sailfin tang will outgrow a 100g tank. I have a sailfin in my 120g and will eventually have to get a larger tank or give him to someone with a larger tank. If your willing to do that, you could start with a small one that would be okay for a while. A smaller tang would be fine in your tank. Yellow, purple, scolpa, or a Kole tang would probably be fine.

Thanks! So you think a powder brown would still be fine? Is there a diff between powder brown and blue in tank requirements?
And I'm guessing I could only have like 1 tang? Also, any medium angel I could have in there? Just wanted to know all the possibilities.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mus1cizmythang http:///forum/thread/386986/new-100g-tank-diary-will-need-help-along-the-way#post_3401774
Thanks! So you think a powder brown would still be fine? Is there a diff between powder brown and blue in tank requirements?
And I'm guessing I could only have like 1 tang? Also, any medium angel I could have in there? Just wanted to know all the possibilities.
I would say yes, if you keep the tank stocking lite. Tangs are a very big bio load on a tank, and I would say only one in the 100G. As for the difference in the Powder Brown and Powder Blue, I really dont know because I like the Powder Brown better because I think it stands out more. Though the Powder Blue is a beautiful fish. As for angles I would stick with the Dwarfs because of the size of your tank and the bio load that is already going to be put on it with the tang. Check out the Flame Angel, Coral Beauty, Red Stripe, Half Black, Lemon Peel they are all Beautiful fish...

scott t

I don't see why you can not have that combo. Just make sure that the Tang is the last one you add because of the aggression issue. Also remember that most butterfiies are not reef safe including Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish.

scott t

Well from your list that you have the Tang, the Dwarf Angel (with Caution many people dont have problems with them, but you never know), the Blenny, Anthias, and the Clowns! there are many other reef safe fish out there.. Gobies are nice and there are many different kind. There are also reef safe Wrasses also and Chromis. It all depends on what you are looking for in the way of fish!!

Ok those all look awesome :)
Update: I am going to get the tank tomorrow. I just bought 100 pounds of tonga and Fuji live rock and 100 lbs of live sand which will come Sunday.
Should I put all my life rock and sand in there for it to cycle it? It does have some living third such as snails starfish some anemones etc.

travelerjp98

But let me warn you- the marine betta is hard to get to feed at first. I would try live foods first. They LOVE live black worms.
I absolutely love marine bettas. I am thinking of getting one for my tank.