New 120g Build

rigdon87

Originally Posted by The_Hadleys
http:///forum/post/3175301
Thanks guys
I have totaly redone the plumbing in the tank. Now I am working on my skimmer

So I have both drains coming into the fisrt chaimber in the 40 gallon breeder flowing over the first wall (baffel?) into the secind chamber where the skimmer is (can skimmer be in first chamber?) I got a remora pro.then i think i will have a bubble lock or stop flowing into the next chamber where there will be live rock lice sand and cheato. then flowing into last chamber where the return pump is. So is every wall after the first just slightly smaller than the previous wall? I am sorta stuck on sump design and wall hights. Oh yeah my skimmer is a HOB so the pump can sit on the bottom.
THANKS!

Yes it can be in the first chamber.I have mine in the first chamber but the theory behind it is that if your skimmer is before your fuge it will robb the nutrients that macro algae and other inverts need but the way i look at it is, before or after its gonna remove them anyways and even if this is true then thats a good thing why run macro,dsb or scrubber if you dnt have too right

scubaj

I think the remora pro is rated up to 120 gallon?? I am definately no expert so use this post as you wish but I spent a good deal of time researching skimmers and most things I read stated that you should go big. I got the Aquac ev180 for my 120 and I have small to medium load right now. I have to empty the cup at least every other day if not every day. It pulls tons of stuff. Not pushing this skimmer at all, just thinking about size.

the_hadleys

OK, so after the holidays, family visiting, work, and everything else... I have started to rework on my tank. I got my sump up and running and the tank full of water. Took me a few trips with my six 5g jugs. after cycling the 150 gallons of water through everything for about a day I noticed the water becoming very cloudy. At first I thought it was the sand in the sump. As I continued to watch it I finaly seen one of the bulkheads in the sump MOVE!!! Come to find out the epoxy I bought from The big W-M was only non toxic and pet safe. What I thought i read as water proof realy said... water soluble. So I ripped out everything and started over. Got some Aquarium Silicone from the LFS and went to town. I let it sit for about 5 days. Just got done building my RO/DI stand and holder. The tank is about half full! Come on RO maker MAKE ME SOME WATER!!!

mattfrancis

Nice tank. I am setting up the same exact tank. No mean to hijack your thread. But aren't the returns on the outside? Mine are, I think its sort of stupid. But anyways, I went with a 30 gallon sump with a HOB diy fuge and a HOB Mantis tank. I love this tank, it's sick. I still need LS and LR. But have you seen BRS "Reef Saver" Dry rock? I think I might go with that and seed it with a small piece of actual LR. Its sweet. But anyways, sweet tank, man. I will be checkin in on you. Best of luck.
-Matt

the_hadleys

Thanks Matt! On my tank the returns are in the overflows right next to the drains. Not sure what you mean by on the outside. I have not seen the reef saver dry rock before. Sounds interesting. Good luck setting your tank up too!!!

atrain5851

I would go with a 3 chamber sump, first drain, second fuge, and third return and skimmer. A skimmer rated for 120 will be okay especially if you have a working fuge. In theory tanks should be able to run on one or the other alone. The lighting, i would stick with traditional lighting methods. I have noticed that on tanks that are wider/deeper like yours they dont have the span to light the entire tank. LED's are good for thin tall/short tanks not wide tanks. IMO

the_hadleys

Some pictures to update! We've mixed the salt into the water, added some sand, hooked up part of our LED lights and got 'er running. I think we'll add a bit more sand. At the moment we've got about 90lbs in the DT - 10lbs in the sump.
We're waiting for the shipment of LEDs to come in to hook up the rest. We've got 2 of 8 running at the moment. They're loaners from the LFS and first gen. The ones we'll actually be using are 3rd gen. Nice and bright and pretty, we hope - two year warrenty if they're not.
Maybe next weekend we'll pick up our LR. We shall see. Anyway, some pics!

the_hadleys

Ordered some reef saver rock. Getting 105 pounds of reef saver. We plan on getting about 20 pounds of live rock to "seed it with.
I am working out of town this week so no progress :( . Come on weekend hurry up and get here!!!

the_hadleys

Does anyone know of some good night time LEDs that use 110v? I wanna put some on my sump/refugium just for fun :) and i have a timed outlet for them and everything. OH tank update. We got some live rock from the LFS and put it in our refuge. Expecting a HUGE! shippment of things on monday... That means more pics soon!

the_hadleys

Heh I guess I can post some pics of the 7 pounds of LR in the fuge...
Here they are! (We hope to get our 100+ pounds of dry rock and 25 pounds of LR tomorrow
)