New 240 Tank Diary

clsimons29

Been a long time since I have posted here. I finally broke down and purchased a new tank. Will be picking up the tank on August 11th and will start my stand build and set up.
Here are the specs:
Old acrylic Tank 60"L X 20"D X 36"H
Appox 180 gallon
30 gallon home made sump and skimmer fed by side overflow
2 Little giant pumps
closed loop system w/Nuclear canister filter
3 Maxi 1200 in tank pumps w/mods
PFO dual 400W MH w dual acntic and moonlights
+- 140lbs live rock
agronite and sand mixed deep bed
current tank is a peacful reef tank
New Glass Tank 72"L x 30"D x 25"H 240 gallon
65 Gallon custom sump
35 gallon berlin sump
dual overflows
1 reef flow dart pump
1 supreme classic mod 18 reeflow pump
AquaC EV 240 Skimmer
1/3 HP chiller set up upon coral stocking
turbo twist UV
Same lights right now
all new plumbing done right this time around!
Auto top off on RO/DI system
Planning on adding full monitor system
will move current lr and plan on building a custom rock background insert to give me a reef wall look and to build off on w/lr
going to use oolit or fiji pink for a deep sand bed.
will be peacefull reef tank but with more stuff!
I will be building my own stand and canopy and we will be placing this tank in my wife's veterinary clinic.
Please stay with me as I plan on this taking some time to set up and move stock over but will start posting pics once I recieve tank and will keep everyone updated as I can.

A

arlene1995

Sounds like an awesome system! Good luck with it! I'll be following along with grubsnaek!

C

cmaxwell39

Sounds like an awesome project. You seem to have a good plan. Good luck with it and I will be watching this one progress.

aquaknight

Wow, 30" deep is going to make for a beautiful tank when you get the rocks in there. Glass overflows too, don't see many of those. What's the main glass thickness, 1/2"?

grubsnaek

wow nice tank,,,,,,the glass overflows aren't common. but they are if you order them from a curtain site.....eh eh. i know wut one...hahah.....point of no return now....

Wow finally seen some one from NM here! Nice tank you have there loving the glass over flows! If you need any help let me know!

clsimons29

Thanks everyone, I am very excited to get this going, I have to let the tank cure for another 1 1/2 weeks before any water goes in. Will give me time to get the stand and such going.
AlexKnight: SE NM between the aliens and the bats.
TriGai22: LOL, no that is left over from a presentation I had, I use a full RO/DI system w/ .25 micron filtration.
AquaKnight: Glass is 1/2 thick with full Eurobracing. I have glass covers for the tops but they didn't make it on the truck. I definetily wanted to go w/more depth, my current tank has height but no depth and is a pain to work in so this should fix the prob.
grubsnaek: Thanks and no idea on the last part....?
indigobluetc: Thanks, glass overflows are nice I do have full acrylic covers for them. I am planning on buliding a rock background to cover the back and overflows. Will update with pics once I start.
Thanks All

clsimons29

Originally Posted by indigobluetc
http:///forum/post/2725817
Any updates?
Not to much more to update right now. I have a custom stand being built right now, should be ready this week and we will set the tank up and start the plumbing. I will update with photos when we get this going.
I have made a supply purchase to get things going though here is the starter list that is being shipped to me.
40lbs Carib crushed coral
150lbs Carib sugar sized Aragamax
40lbs Carib aragalive Bah oolite
88lbs Carib Seafloor Aruba
160lbs Carib S. Seas base rock
4 200gal AQSYS instant ocean salt
Brine shrimp factory
some other misc stuff.
Some of the stuff is to make the rock background that I am planning on building. Will update w/ photos once this is in and I start the process. I will add the base rock to my existing and start turning it into LR as time progresses.
Hope to update everyone with pics soon.
Thanks for keeping with me.

Wow sounds like a good start LOL.. Just thought I would check in and see how far you got.. Man I cant wait to start my new tank! Once the money tree starts to grow.. I knew I should of not bought them!

clsimons29

Originally Posted by indigobluetc http:///forum/post/2726706
Wow sounds like a good start LOL.. Just thought I would check in and see how far you got.. Man I cant wait to start my new tank! Once the money tree starts to grow.. I knew I should of not bought them!

I appreciate it! I checked on my stand today and the frame is done just have to make a minor change and then it is off to sandblasting and paint. By the way my stand is being made w/2" square tubing and set up for custom inset doors on euro hinges. We will skin the stand w/1/4 ply once my plumbing is done and trim it out, stain etc. I definetly understand the "money tree" expensive hobby, good think now is I am able to order a lot of my stuff wholesale...I have a good work around with distributors through a business of mine. You would be surprised though that some stuff is not marked up alot on retail sites.
I am starting work on my plumbing design and would appreciate anyone's thoughts and/or experience for it as this is my 1st large tank full plumbing job. I am starting this in a new thread so I don't fill this one up with plumbing talk but sure would appreciate everyone taking a look at it if you can. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/331144/plumbing-set-up-for-new-240-tank
THANKS