NEW 29gal Tank - Stocking Questions and Tips - Please Help :)

db9181

I am currently thinking about converting one of my 29 gallon tanks to saltwater. I am very familar with freshwater tanks as I currenlty have a 100gal, 3 29gal, and 2 10gal. I was going to start with a fish only tank.
Filtration: I can either use A) 305 fluval, or B) Penguin Bio-wheel 350. Which would be better? I also have air-stones, small power-heads, etc that I can add-in.
Lighting: I've read that a fish only tank can use regular lighting....is that true? I may also put a T-5 on for later upgrades.
Stocking: I did some research on good "starter fish" for min. 20-30 gal tanks. Below is what I'm interested in. "***" notes fish I am very interested in having. Please advise other good additions, fish that can not go together, and the best way to stock based on my list.
-Dwarf (or Fuzzy Dwarf) Lionfish ******
-Elegant (or 4 / 8 lined) Wrasse ***
-Flame Angelfish ***
-Yellow Tail Blue Damsel ***
-Clown Fish ***
-Green Clown Goby
-Firefish Goby
-Lawnmower Goby
-Longnose Hawkfish
Additionally, suggestions for "cleaning crews" would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance - all comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As previously stated, I have not begun...just want to do some research and plan ahead :)
DB

gemmy

Before even thinking about a stocklist, I would purchase these 3 books 101 Marine Fishes, 101 Marine Invertebrates and the Conscientious Marine Aquarist. I would not consider adding a dwarf lionfish (too big), flame angel (too big), or damsel (just evil) in that size tank.

db9181

Thanks, I will look into those books.
I've read that a Dwarf (fuzzy) lionfish can work in a 30gal... still a no even if I get him at 1.5-2in? Also, I've now seen that damsels are 'evil'.
Thanks for the advise.

db9181

Please any/all suggestions for how 'you' would stock a 29gal FO or FOWLR tank .... I would like any many fish/coloration as possible. Thanks :)

teresaq

I would do small peaceful fish.
pair of clowns, either percula or ocellaris. (you could do black, or mis bar or naked)
yellow clown goby or firefish goby
bi-color blenny or black sailfin blenny or tail spot (lots of color)
Small fairy wrasse
Thats about it for fish as far as number of fish. I would not do any more then 4 or 5 small fish.

db9181

Thank you for your input Teresa, It is greatly appreciated. What would you suggest as a CUC for a 29g build? Also, If i put a T5 light on the tank, could I do some coral, etc? or zoos? Any suggestions on easier to maintain set ups?

teresaq

I would do several differant kinds of snails, they all have differant jobs. once established, maybe an emeral crab, brittle star.
t5s with individual reflectors work better then just one full reflector. A 4 bulb unit would let you keep quite a bit of corals. mushrooms, leathers, zoas, colt and kenya, ricordias, starpolyps, xenia, and might even suport duncans, and some lps like candycanes, hammers ect

db9181

Thanks again Teresa :) Im pumped to get this started. I found some live rock on CL for $3-6/lb, from what i read this is a decent price, so I want to get started. Simply put, what do i need to do. The tank is currently set up as freshwater (with acouple tiny fish that i can move to another tank) obviously clean it out.....fill it back up w/ a salt mixture....any recommendations (im assuming directions etc are on the bucket lol) and then can i add sand/live rock to start the cycling? As previously mentioned i can either put a HOB Penguin 350 or a fluval 305......both are rated for 70g so i figure either would be plenty.....im assuming the fluval would be better??

db9181

Would a Coralife T-5 HO Double Bulb (30'') unit be enough to do some coral as well. Or other recommendations? The 4 bulb unit is 3x as much, so i was hoping the first unit would work......

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help#post_3409438
Would a Coralife T-5 HO Double Bulb (30'') unit be enough to do some coral as well. Or other recommendations? The 4 bulb unit is 3x as much, so i was hoping the first unit would work......
I don;t think so....I have a Sundial T5HO unit on my 29G and keep everytihing....including 2 clams

Current USA Sundial T5HO
Lighting System - 4 x 24W - 24 in.

I have upgraded the bulbs too though...BUT not until it was necessary to replace the ones that came with it

db9181

But if i only did a FOWLR i could technically use my regular light unit that i was using for freshwater correct? Coral would be alil down the road, but def something id like to do..... so itd be best to go w/ lets say a Coralife T-5 HO Four Bulb unit? M
meowzer: Did you say you have a 24" unit on your 29g? I measured my reg unit and its a 30in...

1guydude

+1 no coralife fixtures imo....4 bulb system is better!
as far as cleaning out ur FW tank....soak vinegar and water in it at about 50/50 ratio and use ur hand to rub down the sides! Soak for 4-8hrs and rinse really well! Go with the fluval imo and make sure to do all the maintence on it!

db9181

Okay thanks :) as for cleaning 50/50 mix to wash it down/soak....or fill the whole tank up 50/50? (that'd be alot of vinegar)
I found a guy on CL in my town breaking down his tank(quickly) and has LR for $2/lb and sand for .50/lb so I'd like to jump on that deal :)

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help#post_3409445
meowzer: Did you say you have a 24" unit on your 29g? I measured my reg unit and its a 30in...
OOPS./....I just showed you that for reference...wasn't really paying attention to the size...LOL
If you have a fowlr....you do not need any special lighting
When I cleaned my 29G....I filled it up and soaked it overnight with bleach water....then drained and washed well......then filled up with water and a dechlorinator and let that soak for a few hours......then drained and washed well
HTH
$2/lb is a very good price if the rock is not pest infested....LOL...I'd SKIP THE SAND

1guydude

u want it full but if u dont wanna use that much....id say one of those larger jug types of heinz vinegar and use bout half the jug!
I wouldnt buy the sand off the guy from CL...imo!
Get usself a larger bag of dry aragonite sand and a smaller package of the carib live sand!
U can seed the dry stuff with the LS!
Its really personal prefrence on LR and LS but i say the more the marrier! On a real reef out in the ocean their is no sand...its all mostly rock! We do it for are eyes lol! Well unless its a lagoon than their is some sand! Anywho id say about 2in would be good! ....you can go up to 4-6in but than u risk it being not oxygenated and nitrates love no oxygen!

db9181

As far as sand: I have about 20lbs of African Cichlid Mix (CaribSea" laying around.....could I use that and then some LS to start it ? Since sand doesnt really "matter"....?