NEW 29gal Tank - Stocking Questions and Tips - Please Help :)

db9181

haha thanks :) I posted the temp question afew times, just wanted to make sure. Should i tone it down to like 78 as thats what i was seeing the top temp-range for alot of fish, critters, etc

db9181

Nope they're the liquid drops/test tubes -I think they're actually APT. When I bought my 100g tank (currently African cichlids) he tossed in all his stuff/equipment and they were all in there :)

1guydude

i keep my tanks at 78.5deg and a salinity of 1.023 but the coral love it at 80deg and 1.025-1.026....there is just to lil room for error in these areas! Thats why i keep mine toned down for wat its worth...

db9181

I am picking up approximately 35-40 lbs of LR today .... Can it be out of water for say 30mins (prob less) ? Or do I need to make sure it stays submerged?

teresaq

Keep it wet with some wet news paper at least. you dont want it to dry out. if you dont have 5 gal buckets, pick up some - you will need a few for water changes anyway.
T

db9181

I do have some 5 gal buckets as well as a rubbermaid container but obviously having those filled with rock/sw would be alot heavier than w/o the sw. I figured such a short trip (less than 30mins) I could just soak a towel in sw and then put it over the lr

meowzer

LOL...a sw soaked towel will be fine
78 is good too.....I try to keep my tanks around that, 78-80 is my tanks norm

db9181

Haha yea I figured a towel would be enough .... Figured why carry more weight than needed. BUT if it jepordizes the LR, I'll carry it

db9181

"Submerse the new rock into a bucket filled with saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 to 1.040 for one minute. Any invertebrates including mantis shrimp, bristle worms, and crabs will quickly evacuate from the rock and into the bucket of water. "
Good idea since this is someone else's LR.....?

db9181

RO water vs. Tap Water - Obviously Ive done the reading on it, etc. But is tap water still so extremely bad if i use de-clorinator, etc.
Being that its a 29g tank....changes are only approx 3g/week.... And im not sure where to get RO water near me (my NICE LFS is 30+ mins away). Also, approx how much does RO water cost/gal?

db9181

So due to lack of sleep and being so used to FW, and wanting to get the tank filled/running I used Regular tap water then declorinaded it. Since I'm just cycling with live rock is that okay? Then use ro or di water from now on, or do I need to go get 30g of. New water??????

db9181

So due to lack of sleep and being so used to FW, and wanting to get the tank filled/running I used Regular tap water then declorinaded it. Since I'm just cycling with live rock is that okay? Then use ro or di water from now on, or do I need to go get 30g of. New water??????

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/40#post_3409683
It's usually best to start with ro/di if possible
that being said....before I knew better I used tap on my 225G.....for the first 6 months I believe....
It can be done.....and IMO it also depends on how bad (or good) your tap is

db9181

Can you please denfine good vs bad tap water (perameters). Like I said tank is full/running and I'm scheduled to pick my lr up directly after work.....if I have to get ro/di water I wouldn't beable to add in the rock, etc. Again since it's just cycling can I just go with what I have for now and make all water changes with ro/di water?????
Again where is a simple place to get it???? I read that some ppl get a ro unit..... Should I get one????

meowzer

If you have aTDS meter yo ucan test your tap......some peoples are over 500....some are under 100......0 is what we aim for with an ro/di
I would save up for one.....you can buy ro at Walmart by the bottle, or most have those machines where you can fill jugs .....I'm not gonna tell you what to do...LOL...BUT for now on I would use ro/di

db9181

Has anyone tried this before???? I'm picking up my lr shortly and am wondering if I should do this prior to putting it in my dt. Although afterwards I wouldn't know what "good critters" to add back and which to leave out lol