NEW 29gal Tank - Stocking Questions and Tips - Please Help :)

db9181

"Submerse the new rock into a bucket filled with saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 to 1.040 for one minute. Any invertebrates including mantis shrimp, bristle worms, and crabs will quickly evacuate from the rock and into the bucket of water. "

Good idea since this is someone else's LR.....?
Sound I do this????

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/40#post_3409736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181
http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/40#post_3409629
"Submerse the new rock into a bucket filled with saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 to 1.040 for one minute. Any invertebrates including mantis shrimp, bristle worms, and crabs will quickly evacuate from the rock and into the bucket of water. "
Good idea since this is someone else's LR.....?
Sound I do this????
It's not a terribly bad idea if you have no clue what pests may be in the rock

teresaq

Thats up to you. did you see the rock in the tank. if its from an established tank, then its prob fine.
For your RO unit - is it also DI ???
For the price of that unit, and having to replace all the filters - you can get a brand new TYPHOON 5 Stage RODI Reefkeeper 75 or 100 GPD
They run about 149.00 - they are nice units and easy to maintain and set up.

db9181

He had a BEAUTIFUL custom 150gal tank, LED lights, etc.
The LR I got looked pretty good, some pieces have purple-coloration growth.
Also, I could get a Koralia 4 PH that hes not using for $35....they retail for $60.... Thought maybe Id pick it up to sell/trade for acouple smaller ones OR just save it for afew years down the road when i convert my 100gal tank

teresaq

Hey, on this site, Pictures are a must. lol
The purple is coraline and good. Cant wait to see what ya got going
T

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/60#post_3409741
Thats up to you. did you see the rock in the tank. if its from an established tank, then its prob fine.
For your RO unit - is it also DI ???
For the price of that unit, and having to replace all the filters - you can get a brand new TYPHOON 5 Stage RODI Reefkeeper 75 or 100 GPD
They run about 149.00 - they are nice units and easy to maintain and set up.
He replied saying "Membrane changed a year ago, should be good for 3-4 years, the individual filters should be good for at least a year, then only one should need to be changed."
Again its for $75, but I need to decide like tonight/pick up tomorrow as he has 4 ppl replying and its whoever gets there w/ cash first.
I tried looking on the Kent Marine website but couldnt see if its RO/DI..... looks like replacement filters are $40-45. Thoughts? would love the input as i need to decide asap.... I figure that stops me from having to BUY r/o water which in 6mths will pay for itself. Or should i get a new one. I dont need a high output....Id just set up acouple 5gal buckets, use 'em up, and then refill as im doing small water changes ~3 gal every 1-2 weeks.

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/60#post_3409745
Hey, on this site, Pictures are a must. lol
The purple is coraline and good. Cant wait to see what ya got going
T
Haha I know I know... just about to go down and add the rock in - My fluval is leaking like crazy for some reason so while i fix that I just have multiple powerheads going. No sand as of yet, next weekend for that (as i get an employee-discount at a huge LPS "Aquarium Adventure"). Ill try to get pics posted tonight or in the morning.

meowzer

I bought my 75gpd unit for $139.95...and filters are $39.99.....it's an air water ice unit ....I really like it and it was very simple to install (at least for my husband LOL)
Look it up

teresaq

its really up to you about the ro unit. The membrane should be fine, but I replace all my filters at once. They are like 39.99 for all including the DI. Not sure about the unit you are looking at. If the filters are good then go for it.
T

db9181

Ok! Pictures are to follow - water is alittle cloudy from placement and again no sand yet (next week) Im not sure if i Like it yet, but Its got alot of caves, etc for critters & Fish.

This last pic is w/ 2 mini LED Moonlights i had laying around - looks darker than it really is.
Let me know about the rock placement. As you can kind of see some rocks have alot of Purple-stuff :)

1guydude

Quote:
OR just save it for afew years down the road when i convert my 100gal tank

Hes already addicted everbody! LOL
I have a similar RO/DI unit as meowzer from air, water, and ice....they make some of the nicer units and the customer support it great as well!
I havent heard much about the kent units!

meowzer

Looks good....Just make sure it is sturdy.....and you might want to change your background to a solid color.....makes things pop....
where are the air bubbles coming from?

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/60#post_3409750
its really up to you about the ro unit. The membrane should be fine, but I replace all my filters at once. They are like 39.99 for all including the DI. Not sure about the unit you are looking at. If the filters are good then go for it.
T
ahhhhhh! I dont know what to do/decide about the RO Unit.............Membrane should be good for another 3+ years. Filters are still good for a year, then "only one needs to be changed". Retail the unit is $270.... im getting it for $75...Hmm.... Thoughts???????????????
Am i just rushing into things getting a unit so soon? Every other posting i saw on CL was $100+. Or I could go New.

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/60#post_3409758
Hes already addicted everbody! LOL
I have a similar RO/DI unit as meowzer from air, water, and ice....they make some of the nicer units and the customer support it great as well!
I havent heard much about the kent units!
Haha hooked? I already was on FW. My soph. year in college I decided to get a 10gal tank....I just graduated in December and I now have 2 10's, 3 29's and a 100g .... all in one room lol. Ive been wanting to do SW, but I know the initial cost....decided to take the plunge =D

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/60#post_3409760
Looks good....Just make sure it is sturdy.....and you might want to change your background to a solid color.....makes things pop....
where are the air bubbles coming from?
I was planning on changing the background thats just what i had from my FW.... Which would you guys recommend, Blue or Black?A
A few piece are "not quite study" sand will help some, but Ill move it around a bit.
The bubbles were coming from the pump/powerhead-ish thing (had no make/model, got it as a random toss-in from someone) I know its meant for a smaller tank, has alil flow on its own, plug an airtube in and it pumps out more but also throws out the bubbles.

db9181

SOOO... I left thought mini moonlights on the tank w/ the room completely dark for a bit, randomly came back to find this little fellow hanging out on the glass (baby starfish, maybe 1/4in). Im excited about this 'hitch-hiker" regardless if hes good or bad lol he's the first "resident" :)

meowzer

It's an asterina star...you will probably find a lot.....mostly come out at night....and they are good waste eaters

teresaq

looking good. get rid of the air line. you dont want any bubble like that in saltwater. (so differant the FW)
Yes the purple on the rock is a good thing.
T

db9181

Yes i am realizing theres alot different from FW ...things you dont think of like "no air bubbles" RO water, lol etc.I feel stupid calling it "purple stuff on the rock" is there a name for it? (my book should come in tomorrow) and do I want all the rocks to be covered in it eventually?
Since my fluval is currently out of order (trying to fix it tomorrow....dunno whats wrong but leaking) I have 2 aquaflow1000's going from the left and right - tried to set them at different heights and front/back of the rock to get some flow going.