NEW 29gal Tank - Stocking Questions and Tips - Please Help :)

teresaq

the purple is coralline algae. It can also be green and reddish.
The flow you have will be fine until you get your filter fixed.
T

1guydude

I never even did FW! I was like i want a aquarium...dunno wat i was thinkin but i went straight for the SW! I love it and i dont think FW would compare at all....maybe a pirahana tank or something idk?!?! LOL
I dont even know how i got the idea. I just plunged right in!
my gf says i said the fish were prettier!
As for the "coraline algae"...if u want it to spread, take out a rock and take all the coraline off with a razor blade in the tank and it will release the spores in the tank!
it will spread as time goes on though and the CUC u get later will pick at the rocks....

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/80#post_3409785
I never even did FW! I was like i want a aquarium...dunno wat i was thinkin but i went straight for the SW! I love it and i dont think FW would compare at all....maybe a pirahana tank or something idk?!?! LOL
I dont even know how i got the idea. I just plunged right in!
my gf says i said the fish were prettier!
As for the "coraline algae"...if u want it to spread, take out a rock and take all the coraline off with a razor blade in the tank and it will release the spores in the tank!
it will spread as time goes on though and the CUC u get later will pick at the rocks....
Do you recommend "releasing the spores" of the coaline algae?

db9181

Lighting: As previously mentioned, I have a 20W Power-Glo 24'' light....
As a "quick fix" I read that I could add a "Marine-Glo" light, another 20W
http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=112&PROD_ID=01016030020101
Doing this, I would run 2 hood units (I have another one for one of my other 29g tanks) until I upgrade to a T5 Unit.
Power-Glo: http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=112&PROD_ID=01016260020101
If I ran a Power-Glo & a Marine-Glo if and/or what type of coral, etc could survive?

db9181

Alright, you guys are going to start hating me w/ all the questions i keep asking.... Got to more pics, can anyone identify these? Sry for the poor pics, camera was completely washing them out, so I took it w/ my iPhone.

kiefers

cool to have tho. Just keep an eye on some of your corals. I have to dig some out of my zoa sometimes. It's kinda like picking your toes, geting inbetween the zoas can be difficult sometimes.

teresaq

Not much will live with those lights. They are fine for a fish only tank.
I wouldnt bother scrbbing the coralline. it will spred on its own, and need a little more light then you have anyway. It will come and go, no worries.
oh and ya, I agree with meow - sponges.

db9181

Darn, I was hoping that additional light would allow me to keep at least something :( guess Ill just have to wait for a T5.
So today I saw this "Ammonia Alert" made by Seachem to alert for ammonia immediately (along w/ regular testing), thought it was decent up to a year for about $5.

I was also able to pick up a new AquaClear PH 30 for $9 (normally $40) giving me 175gph which probably should be enough w/ that plus my fluval output, correct?

db9181

Reminder: 29gal currently cycling w/ LR. I have a fluval 305, a AquaClear 30 Powerhead, and another random PH.
Currently, it is going to be a FOWLR, but eventually I want to make it a Reef Tank (once I get new lights).
That being said (29g w/ 305 fluval) what type of Protein Skimmer to people recommend??? Acouple different brand recommendations would be great as I have a large LFS that I get a discount at, thus I would like to buy from there.
Also, I would like an exterior / HOB unit, being that its a nano-tank and i have no sump/ref/etc.

db9181

Back to lighting: Coralife 24" Aqualight 130 watt power compact fixture.... Do me any good coral wise before T5 unit .... I can get the 130w unit for $30

teresaq

dont know much about the alerts, I know some seahorse breeders use them on thier fry tanks.
small hangon skimmer to look at is a aqua-c urchin, there are also a couple others but have never used one. on such a small tank you prob be ok with out one for a while.
The light would allow you to keep most softies. - mushrooms, leathers, zoas, xenia, colts

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/80#post_3410057
dont know much about the alerts, I know some seahorse breeders use them on thier fry tanks.
small hangon skimmer to look at is a aqua-c urchin, there are also a couple others but have never used one. on such a small tank you prob be ok with out one for a while.
The light would allow you to keep most softies. - mushrooms, leathers, zoas, xenia, colts
Im going to check on the condition, etc of the light unit, but if all is good I'll probably go for it, for $30 I can eventually start getting afew corals :) and later down the road i can up it to a T5.

db9181

OK - Made a "browsing trip" to my LFS: Advise please....
Protein Skimmers:
Oceanic Bio-Cube (29g)
Aquatic-Life Internal Mini 115 (30g)
**Or should I order one online?
Sand:
Carib-Sea Arag-live Reef Sand ... or... Fiji Pink ... or Bahamas Oolite.
**Personal Thoughts on best?
Also, Im thinking about 30lbs? That would give me 2in sand-bed.
Test kits:
API SW Master Kit - I basically have all of these tests from doing FW, I think i just need to pick up 1 of the 4
API SW Reef Master Kit - Worth getting now?
I also picked up a Kent Marine RO/DI Unit (30gpd) retail about $270 for.... $75 (guy had to get rid of it asap/moving). Stated Membrane was just changed (good for 3-4yrs), one filter clearly was brand new, the others had at least another 800g left. If i take a sample of RO water to my LFS can they test the TDS?
I will also have them check my Salinity since I have a hydrometer ... That way I can find out how much mine is actually off by, and therefore have a correct reading from now on :)

meowzer

get the aquaticlife skimmer....it's a great skimmer
get aragonit sand....get dead and a small amount of live to seed it
API master.....if you go reef salifert makes better kits for calcium and alk
YES..they should be able to test it...BUT GET Your own tds meter asap
get a refractometer so yo ucan check your own salinity accurately

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/80#post_3410267
get the aquaticlife skimmer....it's a great skimmer
get aragonit sand....get dead and a small amount of live to seed it
API master.....if you go reef salifert makes better kits for calcium and alk
YES..they should be able to test it...BUT GET Your own tds meter asap
get a refractometer so yo ucan check your own salinity accurately
Ok, Ill lean towards the AquaticLife PK.
Sand: would it be horrible if i just got all live sand? I get a very large discount, so I thought since its so 'benefical' I minus well get it live.
Tests: I just wanted to get a reading on everything for the time being.... will get own eventually lol

db9181

Thoughts on CUC...?
Below is some of what my LFS had.... then obviously hermits/crabs/etc.

Zebra Turbo Snail

Cerith Snail

Nassarius Snail

Astrea Snail

Nerite Snail

Estimate of which/how many?

meowzer

If money is no concern get all live sand then
You have plenty of time to pick out a cuc...LOL....to start though maybe 2 cerith, 2 nass, 2 nerites....IDK HAHA

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/80#post_3410279
If money is no concern get all live sand then
You have plenty of time to pick out a cuc...LOL....to start though maybe 2 cerith, 2 nass, 2 nerites....IDK HAHA
Haha, its not that money isn't a concern (im a 23 yr old recent college grad) BUT, I get an employee discount and being that its only 30lb the difference wont be too much between LS and DS. Worse case Ill get 10lb LS and 20 DS.
And I know i have plenty of time for CUC, Stocking, etc - Just doing all my research now and getting others opinions - got several books on order as well. I want to do this RIGHT the FIRST time lol

db9181

Also, (I guess the pic didnt post earlier today) but i woke up this morning and my tank was somewhat cloudy....was clear lastnight - normal?