New 300 gallon In-Wall tank build

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edat http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/220#post_3527689
So after looking at many of the tanks on here and other forums.... then looking at my tank, as much as the scape is growing on me it is no where close to what I envisioned when I decided to upgrade. So I will be taking all of the rock out of this tank and selling most of it.
I really want to go with the look of 3 islands in the tank. 2 taller and narrow on either side in front of the overflows maybe around 18" tall and a longer shorter island in the center maybe 3 1/2'-4' long and 14" tall. The center island will be 3-4 inches off the back wall but will be on the average of 1' to 1.5' wide. All would be staked to allow even big tangs to swim through.
I've been looking at several places to get good dry rock.... nice sized pcs at a good price. Please PM me if you have any suggestions. (I've already PM a few of you) Any guesstimates on to how much I would need?
I like the idea of a three island look!!
I think it was Lubeck that purchased some real nice dry rock that had the bottoms of the rock cut flat (so you can place on the bottom of the glass and it sits perfectly). He got some real nice looking pieces, some pretty big. So, maybe it is three different big pieces to make the nice big center island, instead of 10-12 smaller pieces. That would look super clean (bonsai esque) and should give you lots of swimming room and plenty of room for corals to grow.

2quills

I put approximately 100# of dry in my tank if you want to use for refference. Pics on the last page of my build thread.

acrylic51

The pic you were referring to in my thread is roughly 120lbs. At Marcorocks if you shoot him an email and explain the look your after and the sizes they do a pretty darn good job.... some you just have to take a chisel to but pricing isnt bad. You might lool for select pieces local to build around as well. I bought 150lbs and have the excess sitting around. I was going to buy another 50lbs but my buddy suggested holding off a bit. Glad I listened.... less is better IMHO!!!

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/240#post_3527726
The pic you were referring to in my thread is roughly 120lbs. At Marcorocks if you shoot him an email and explain the look your after and the sizes they do a pretty darn good job.... some you just have to take a chisel to but pricing isnt bad. You might lool for select pieces local to build around as well. I bought 150lbs and have the excess sitting around. I was going to buy another 50lbs but my buddy suggested holding off a bit. Glad I listened.... less is better IMHO!!!
Thanks,
I was hoping that you wouldn't say that it was 200+ lbs in the tank
I shot them an email earlier this morning and have been waiting on a response.

edat

Reply from Marco rocks.... I think I will go with 150# to start and mostly large pieces.
I'm going to have to hold off on ordering until I get some of the rock in the tank sold. I'm really close the budget I set for myself and I haven't even bought any fish yet.
So I'm going to put the rock on Craigslist and see what happens.
Thanks for your interest.
I would go with about 200Lbs for this, also you may want to consider using our mortar
especially on those taller structures so that they stay in place.
The larger pieces are no problem, we are happy to ship what you like.
Let me know if you have other questions
Thanks
Marc

acrylic51

Same email I roughly got.... go with the smaller amount and if you need more than add later....as far as the mortar I wouldn't want my pieces permanently bonded.....

edat

I got the new AquaIlumination Director in the mail today.
I will get it online sometime this evening and start the whole Beta Testing thing. I've been keeping up with a thread over on the big site.... Should be interesting, apparently there are a lot of bugs to work out.

sparty059

Please like all of my bug posts!!! Haha. It's very cool being able to control from a remote location. However, there are a ton of bugs as you are already aware. My lights go out when they should be on and on when they should be off. The clock still is glitchy too.

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty059 http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/240#post_3527961
Please like all of my bug posts!!! Haha. It's very cool being able to control from a remote location. However, there are a ton of bugs as you are already aware. My lights go out when they should be on and on when they should be off. The clock still is glitchy too.
I have had no problems with my Vegas at all. The only problems that I am seeing is with the Director itself.
But I have had no need to adjust the Vegas to much more than the original power settings. I decreased the whites from 80 to 60 percent and tweaked the blues a little.

edat

So not a lot going on with the tank. I did get a couple of small clowns a couple weeks ago but everything else is on hold for a little while longer......
Either my 16 year old or my 4 year old let the garage door down on the back of the van.....(older garage door without the sensors) cracked the garage door, burned out the motor dented the van, dishwasher and fridge both stopped working, 16 year olds car has transmission issues and my truck developed a coolant leak.......
All things considered I'm kinda happy about the garage door issues..... I didn't realize that it would not stop running until it hit the van.... better the van than someone....
Anyway will put the tank on the backburner until I get everything squared away.

E

eric b 125

Sorry to hear about the cars and garage door! Funny how life just shows up sometimes, eh?
I use Marco Rocks in my tank and I am very happy with them. The thing about it is that it's dry rock. When you buy live rock, you're paying for a lot of water weight. A 10 lb marco rock, once it becomes LR, would be like a 15 lb rock. One thing I noticed when I first got them is that they were pretty salty; when I added them to my water the salinity went up. Just something to keep in mind for if/when you order them. When I am able to upgrade my tank I will most likely be ordering from them again.

E

eric b 125

I do remember reading somewhere that Marco Rocks had a tendency to leach phosphates into the water column, but I have not had a similar experience.

acrylic51

Marco Rocks don't have the same tendency as others to leach.....I can't remember the other provider that is infamous, but Marco if it does is very minimal.......

edat

Time to get this build moving again!!!!

I found a guy 10 minuets from my house selling pukani rock so I was able to go and cherry pick around 170 pounds!!!!!
I am very pleased with the size and shape..... this is defiantly more like what I envisioned the rock would look like in the new setup.
I just need to do a little research and see if it just can be rinsed and soaked for a few days or if I have to do something a little more involved before I put it into the display