New 300 gallon In-Wall tank build

2quills

Nice find on the rock! A short soak and checking phosphate and ph levels wouldn't hurt but you could probably just cure it in the display if you wanted too. Was it formerly live rock or do you know if it's been bleached or acid washed?

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/260#post_3530558
Nice find on the rock! A short soak and checking phosphate and ph levels wouldn't hurt but you could probably just cure it in the display if you wanted too. Was it formerly live rock or do you know if it's been bleached or acid washed?
It has not been bleached or acid washed and it was not formerly live.
The guy that I purchased it from had over 500lbs in his garage. He used to work in some big coral farm and still has a few connections.
Do you think I need to acid wash or bleach it?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by edat http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/260#post_3530563
It has not been bleached or acid washed and it was not formerly live.
The guy that I purchased it from had over 500lbs in his garage. He used to work in some big coral farm and still has a few connections.
Do you think I need to acid wash or bleach it?

I probably wouldn't go that far with fresh dry rock. I acid washed some of mine when I took down my old system but that was more or less because of a personal vendetta between me and some aiptasia (probably wasn't necessary). But I chose to do so in order to rid the rock of all organics so that I could start fresh. I think most folks would typically suggest a simple cure for what you picked up. Odds are there will be a little phosphate the question is just how much.

When I cured mine after the acid wash I had to cure it to make sure the p.h. was near range. Acid drops p.h. I buffered the cure water with sodium bicarbonate in order to neutralize the effects of the acid.

Many will bleach there rock to get the same effect (killing phosphates). I hear it works it just doesn't dissolve or remove all of the organics. But for all I know it may not be a big enough deal even worth worrying about. In that case you'll want to cure for a short time and let dry in the sun for a week or so.

lubeck

I bleached all my macro rock before building. It wouldn't hurt to ensure your starting with clean base rock

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/260#post_3530572
I bleached all my macro rock before building. It wouldn't hurt to ensure your starting with clean base rock

I've been trying to find directions online on how exactly to bleach rock. From what I can tell I should use a 1:10 ratio of bleach to water but for how long.... then do I rinse and put into the tank or let cure in trashcans with saltwater for a few weeks????

E

eric b 125

When I bleached my LR (to kill aiptasia) I used a 1:10 ratio in freshwater for a day then I did several fresh water soaks with de-chlorinator added, changing all of the water every day. I did that until the rocks no longer had a bleach smell to them and then I let them sit in the sun for a day or two. I was really concerned with soaking my rock in bleach but it seems fine. I haven't added any fish to my DT yet but all of the snails, shrimp, and my brittle star seem unaffected.

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/260#post_3530579
When I bleached my LR (to kill aiptasia) I used a 1:10 ratio in freshwater for a day then I did several fresh water soaks with de-chlorinator added, changing all of the water every day. I did that until the rocks no longer had a bleach smell to them and then I let them sit in the sun for a day or two. I was really concerned with soaking my rock in bleach but it seems fine. I haven't added any fish to my DT yet but all of the snails, shrimp, and my brittle star seem unaffected.

Thanks.
Im going to wash them off later today to knock off any loose dust/dirt then soak them in bleach tonight.

edat

Rocks were power washed this morning and are now in the bleach bath. They were actually really clean already, virtually no dust or dirt.

I will let them soak until the morning then rinse sand soak a few times with dechlorinator over the next few days.

Nothing going on with the display. Most of the old rock is out of the tank with the exception of a few pcs that had zoas or mushrooms on them. I did pick up a small sailfin yesterday from a new store that just opened yesterday less than 20 min from my house.

edat

Scape is good but I've decided that it will never look like the vision I have in my head..... I just don't think I'm creative enough

I did pickup this little guy yesterday. I was concerned about how it and my coral beauty would get along but they just chased each other around a little last night and this morning they don't even notice each other.

edat

Just ordered bunch of Turbo, Astrea and Nassarius snails to start off my clean up crew.
I waited because I didn't want them to starve since I did not have rock in the tank for a while. Because of my work schedule I asked that it not be shipped until next Wednesday. I am starting to get diatom on the rocks and sand bed so I figured it was time. I also ordered a small Naso tang. I hope all goes well because I have never ordered fish online, I will definitely put it into the QT and run a round of hypo.

edat

Made a trip to the LFS today.....

This is what happens when you talk tooooo much about your fish list to the store owner. He just happens to get in exactly what I plan on adding to the tank.

edat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394784/new-300-gallon-in-wall-tank-build/260#post_3532616
hahahaha

Beautiful mate. Jealous!
Thanks!

My fish list so far:
6 Green Chromis
3 Yellow Tangs
1 Hippo Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Naso Tang (scheduled delivery on Thursday)
2 Clowns
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Pink and Blue Spot Shrimp Goby
1 Pajama Cardinal
1 Bicolor Dottyback
1 Flame Angel
1 Coral Beauty Angel

Still want 1 Kole Tang, 1 Atlantic Blue Tang,1 Copperband Butterfly, another tang, some other type of tang, maybe a tang.... and did I mention the possibility of a tang

edat

Got my first ever live fish delivery this morning.
Left Florida yesterday at 6:12PM and arrived this morning at 10AM.
Naso has a few white blotches on it but otherwise looks ok. It is dripping in a 5 gallon bucket right now and is already starting to color up and look better. I will get a better look once it goes into the QT. The water that the tang shipped in was colder than I expected it to be. I thought that a heat pack would be shipped as well. I'm dripping the snails too. Looks like a got quite a bit more than I ordered.... there were also a couple of white hermit crabs that I put into the fuge.