New 65 up and running

meowzer

it's diatoms.....a perfectly normal part of the beginning tank progress...just let it do its thing....if it gets on the glass, you can clean that off though..and when you do get a CUC....YUP....they will dig right in

rickyh24

The nano Koralia worked out great. I actually just ordered another one to put on the other side of the tank. I'm thinking that I will point it straight across to give the back of the tank some flow. I have some debris from the live rock that has settled back there and I can't get to it. So hopefully a power head will stir it up and the skimmer will get rid of it.
I tested my water today and it looks like my nitrites and ammonia have gone down a little not much though. These color card things suck.
I feel like my cycle is taking forever.

rickyh24

Does and outbreak of lime green algae usually indicate that you are getting close to the end of you cycle?

meowzer

Originally Posted by RickyH24
http:///forum/post/3294640
Does and outbreak of lime green algae usually indicate that you are getting close to the end of you cycle?
test results will tell you when you are nearing the end......is this algae on the glass???

rickyh24

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3294644
test results will tell you when you are nearing the end......is this algae on the glass???
Nah its on the rock mostly. Brown algae went away now its green. I still have detectable ammonia its going down though. The Marine Aquarium book I have says that the green algae should be the last algae outbreak of the cycle. Well it says something along those lines. I'm too tired to go look now. Was just checking if anyone had the same experience.

rickyh24

Something I found on the web real quick
As the cycling process nears an end, many hobbyists notice an improvement in the appetite and overall deportment of their fish. In addition, a small green algae bloom will often accompany the drop in nitrites and rise of nitrates. The cycle is over and the tank ready for additional fish when both the ammonia and nitrite are zero and the nitrate has begun to rise. This is an appropriate time for a first routine partial water change.

rickyh24

I had a few little cotton ball type things with hairs sprouting out of them growing on my rock. I sucked them up with a turkey baster. After some research I have found out they are a type of sponge. Should I have left them?
You can see a pic here
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchsponge.html
I honestly didn't like the way they looked
Maybe I should have let them be.

rickyh24

A few pics. Picked up a few corals a clown and a hippo tang over the past couple weeks. Not the best camera. sorry.

meowzer

The tank is looking great, BUT....that type of tang does not belong in a 65G tank.....sorry it needs a minimum of 100G if not bigger

addicted2

Very nice! Aaaahhh...I miss the excitement of starting a new tank...mine is almost 3 yrs old. A little advice?? ONLY put in there what you absolutely LOVE! Mine had a few additions with the good hearted intent of "rescuing"...you know....people getting rid of their tanks and if nobody takes the livestock "I'm going to throw it out" ads. And me being the soft heart...I get them...well, now I have what seems like hundreds of brown mushrooms that aren't exactly beautiful along side my *prettier things....so be choosy! It pays off!

rickyh24

Yeah I plan on being really picky with what I get. I'm starting off with some easy corals. I want to eventually move onto some SPS. My plan is to have a mixed reef. Bottom full of softies and some SPS in the middle of the rock and the top. I probably wont get much for LPS other than what I have now.

jaxfishgirl

I would love a hippo tang, but I only have a 75 gallon. I believe once full grown they need at least 6 ft of swimming space. I think swf.com said 40 gallons is OK for that size. You should always research the fish before you buy it. I carry a fish species book with me when I go to the LFS. He will be ok in there until it grows.