new fish wobbegong

walleye

the pet store had him for 8months and its about the same size as when they got him. they had him in a 350 by himself. has not grown much. iam setting up a tank just for him.

psusocr1

DAMN im not tryin to star this thread off wrong but how big is your tank?? and WHAT species wobbie is that?
i ask because Orectolobus japinicus(japenese wobbie) reaches 3.3 feet which is the smallest of them but IMPOSSIBLE to find!
if it is either Orectolobus maculatus(spotted wobbie) or orectolobus ornatus(ornate wobbie) both very available int he aquarium trade your in for a shock because they get well over 10 feet and they do it QUICK!
also they have HUGE mouths as you know so theres no way you can keep any fish inthat tankw ith him, basically it would become a species only tank real quick as they are ambush predetors and will just wait till the right moment when that fish swims by and BAM bye bye fishes!
im not flaming you im sure you knwo most of this stuff as you did all of your research but i was in the market for a wobbie for about 4 months. And as the 4 months went on and i read every night and researched wobbies every night in those 4 months i realized it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep one , and if i did ever find the japanese wobbie i would have to put it in a species only tank so thats why i voted no against the wobbie..And beleive me if one was out there i would have found him!
goos luck with him can i see more pictures please so i can get a good i.d on him?

unleashed

drop me an email, addi above. i have some pics of your sharks teeth you might want to see.let me just say huge ouch if he gets you by mistake.and that shark grows up to 3 meters=9.842 519 685 feet
oh yeh just a heads up on growth rate never use the lfs growth rate while in the store as a guide to how fast any species will grow .they feed minimal amounts of foods just enough to keep fish alive and slow growth rates down you will find it may grow much faster in your tank than in theirs.

psusocr1

now that i look closer thats DEF. a spotted wobbie
i hope you have plans for him cause his max length is 10.5 feet!
you should have researched this oen a bit more!! their predetory beasts!

unleashed

The Spotted Wobbegong can be recognised by the skin flaps around the snout margin and the distinctive colour pattern of dark saddles and white rings on a yellow to greenish-brown background.
This species is about 20cm in length when born and reaches a maximum size of about 3m.
Feeding occurs mainly at night and includes large prey such as fishes, crayfish, crabs and octopuses.
Spotted Wobbegongs live in shallow coastal waters down to about 100m. They often lie on sand or rocky reef bottoms and are frequently seen by divers.
This species occurs along the southern coastline of Australia from southern Queensland to south-western Western Australia. It is possibly endemic to (only found in) Australia. Records from Japan and the South China Sea are probably errors.
The genus name Orectolobus comes from the Greek words orectos, meaning stretched out, and lobos meaning a rounded projection or protuberance. The genus name most likely refers to the barbels on the head. The species name maculatus comes from the Latin word macula which means spot, and refers to the shark's spotted colouration. The common name is an Australian aboriginal word.

unleashed

The Ornate Wobbegong can be recognised by its body shape and colouration. It has a broad, flattened head with skin flaps around the snout margin. The eyes are small and oval (see bottom image). This species has two dorsal fins which are positioned posteriorly on the body. The caudal fin has a long upper lobe. The anal fin is positioned so far posteriorly, it almost looks like a lower caudal fin lobe (more details).
This species is usually golden-brown with broad dark areas, and blueish-grey spots above. It is pale below. The margins of the fins often have dark spots. This can be seen on the leading edge of the pectoral fin in the upper image.
It is recorded from all Australian coasts and from Papua New Guinea. The similar Spotted Wobbegong O.maculatus is most commonly found in temperate Australian coastal waters from southern Queensland to south-western Western Australia. It can be distinguished from the Ornate Wobbegong by its colour pattern which consists of broad dark saddles and distinct circles formed by groupings of small white dots.
The Ornate Wobbegong is usually seen in clear water on inshore reefs and offshore islands to depths of at least 50m. Divers most often see the Ornate Wobbegong lying on the bottom during daylight hours. It is generally not aggressive, however it should be considered as potentially dangerous due to its large size (up to 3m in length) and sharp teeth (image).

psusocr1

Walleye,
dont take offense to what is aid or unleashed for that matter were just trying to make you realize this is NOT the shark for you.. IF you have a 3-500 gallon tank you can keep him for MAYBE 8 months if fed properly but then what are you going to do with him?? Go talk to your lfs and take him back
its like putting nurse sharks or blacktips etc in a 300 gallon tank...its just not right!

tony detroit

Tropicorium in town here had two that were about 10'' about 2 years ago.
It is probably 8'' wide now and close to 2 1/2-3' long.

unleashed

Originally Posted by tony detroit
Tropicorium in town here had two that were about 10'' about 2 years ago.
It is probably 8'' wide now and close to 2 1/2-3' long.
i was just in there a couple weeks ago i didnt see them but i did see alot of eppelette sharks and bamboos spotted and banded.most of there larger sharks arent for sale they basicly use those for breeding purposes.but in some of the tanks its hard to see all of them i might have just missed them due to them hiding.

tony detroit

They used to be in the middle room, the tub with the screening up around it. They're really wide, but not that long.

aw2

Originally Posted by walleye
iam going to get a farm pool for him this spring
That still will not be sufficient.

psusocr1

anythign in his tank is DEAD especially that tang i see swimming!! once he gets comfotable in his new surrounding it will be a species only tank in no time! then the wobbie will be smiling like this

walleye

well i see what happens. everyone likes to bash people. i know what iam doing i have been doing this for alot of years. i know what i got and i know what he can do. i ask for help about a wolfe eel and nobody knows anything. i show a pic of a shark i got and everyone knows everything. so iam done and you will never see or hear from me again. thanks, bye

jon321

Originally Posted by walleye
i ask for help about a wolfe eel and nobody knows anything. i show a pic of a shark i got and everyone knows everything.
Amen. Same thing with octopus, everyone and their dog "knows" octopus are impossible to keep
...but they really are far from. Do let us know how it goes down the road, for interests sake.
Jon

sharkguy22

Originally Posted by psusocr1
anythign in his tank is DEAD especially that tang i see swimming!! once he gets comfotable in his new surrounding it will be a species only tank in no time! then the wobbie will be smiling like this

People who have had wobbies know how they are. I had one and she did not need a big tank. She only would move when it was feeding time. Also need arent that fast in growth(at least mine wasnt. I had her with other sharks and fish. The only problem with trying to eat another fish which was a sfe and I cant see why not cuz it was small.I think in his tank eveything is fine except for maybe the rays cuz they could be accidently nip by the wobbie, the leading to bacterial infections than death.