New guy with no clue

nysharkbait

Hello. I'm preparing to embark on my first aquarium. I don't know what I want 100%. I know I want to start with a 100g tank. I also know I like vibrant colors. Other then that, I'm drawing a blank. I've read through most of the "newbie stickies" but most of it still seems greek to me. I need help. I'm hoping somebody would be willing to help walk me through the process to get my feet wet. I'm patient about this. I'm not looking to have it completed tomorrow by any means. I want to take my time and do it right. Just wondering if anybody out there could help guide me and translate the goings-on into english. I REALLY want this to be fun and successful. I want to do it right. Anybody willing to help guide this rookie?
Thanks guys. Look forward to posting a great tank.

btldreef

Originally Posted by NySharkBait
http:///forum/post/3172210
Hello. I'm preparing to embark on my first aquarium. I don't know what I want 100%. I know I want to start with a 100g tank. I also know I like vibrant colors. Other then that, I'm drawing a blank. I've read through most of the "newbie stickies" but most of it still seems greek to me. I need help. I'm hoping somebody would be willing to help walk me through the process to get my feet wet. I'm patient about this. I'm not looking to have it completed tomorrow by any means. I want to take my time and do it right. Just wondering if anybody out there could help guide me and translate the goings-on into english. I REALLY want this to be fun and successful. I want to do it right. Anybody willing to help guide this rookie?
Thanks guys. Look forward to posting a great tank.
Welcome to the forum. I wish there were more people like you that did research before making a train wreck and then asking for help!
Some questions:
1) How much are you willing to spend?
2) Reef tank, fish only, or fish and reef?
3) Have you seen anything definite that you really want to have in your tank if possible? (corals, fish, etc)
4) Why are you set on the 100G tank? (Really just curious)
5) Have you purchased anything towards this adventure yet?

geoj

Take a look at some of these books...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/368853/know-any-good-books

nysharkbait

Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/post/3172216
Welcome to the forum. I wish there were more people like you that did research before making a train wreck and then asking for help!
Some questions:
1) How much are you willing to spend?
2) Reef tank, fish only, or fish and reef?
3) Have you seen anything definite that you really want to have in your tank if possible? (corals, fish, etc)
4) Why are you set on the 100G tank? (Really just curious)
5) Have you purchased anything towards this adventure yet?
Thanks for the quick response.
1. I'm not working on a budget
per say. I'm not dropping $100 grand on a 5 gallon-1 fish tank, but if there are superior benefits to a product that's a little more expensive, I'll pay the extra money.
2. I love DeMartini's tank. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/323017/demartini-is-the-may-photography-contest-winner Absolutely amazing. I think, that's fish and reef. If so, that would be what I want.
3. Nothing that I'm hell bent on having. Some fish I like, but not set on anything in particular at the moment. I need to learn more about what can be in a tank with what before cementing my decisions on particular fish.
4. I honestly don't know. I think it allows me to have more options fish wise (types and quanity) as well as "ease" chemical balances in the water. I was told more water is easier to control then less. Could be bad info though, I don't know.
5. Nothing yet. Like I said, I want to do it right. I want to make sure every item is right for what I want. I don't want to get close to being finished only to say "gosh, I wish I got this instead of this."
Hope this helps. Again, thanks for your help.

btldreef

That tank is only a 14 gallon. LOL
It is beautiful though. You should see her ADA tank!
So what are the fish/coral that you like, even if you're not set on anything? Just curious, because especially the coral will help me see what route you should take.
In all honesty, you should go with metal halides. Save yourself the aggravation down the road. I have T5HO's and although they're great, I had to upgrade the bulbs and now I want more lights so have to buy another fixture, etc. It's just a hassle, doable, but a hassle.

btldreef

Where in NY are you exactly?
Manhattanreefs.com is a great site for used equipment for people in the hobby and will save you a bundle.

nysharkbait

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3172234
So what are the fish/coral that you like, even if you're not set on anything? Just curious, because especially the coral will help me see what route you should take.
In all honesty, you should go with metal halides. Save yourself the aggravation down the road. I have T5HO's and although they're great, I had to upgrade the bulbs and now I want more lights so have to buy another fixture, etc. It's just a hassle, doable, but a hassle.
It's a beautiful tank. I want to do that, just on a larger scale. I'd have to search through all the fish and coral to answer that. I know I'd like to have 1 or 2 clown fish as well as anenomie (sp?). But coral...I'm clueless. I don't know the difference.

geoj

DeMartini's tank is a good looking reef, and a good goal to set that is not as hard to do as some think.
Another book for new saltwater hobbyists
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta

geoj

I did the same as you but one further. I had all T5HO's then all metal halides. Now I see that a combo T5HO's and Metal Halides seem to work best for me.

geoj

I did the same as you but one further. I had all T5HO's then all metal halides. Now I see that a combo T5HO's and Metal Halides seem to work best for me.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3172243
I found the same type of combo only its halides and vho's for me. I ran all vho's then pure halides and found a mix was the best of both worlds. for me.

Your attitude is gonna make you successful in this hobby, the only thing I'm gonna add right now is that since your wanting a large scale tank go ahead and get a 6 foot tank, this is really going to make a huge differance when it comes to fish selection. IMO some of the most desirable fish in the hobby need a tank atleast that long.

J

jstdv8

agreed on the 6' tank. you can really expand your horizons by doing that.
Here are some basic guidlines that are helpfull but not always 100% acurate, just something to start on.
1.) you want at least 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon of water in your tank.
2.) If you want to go crazy with your corals you will need a fair amount of light. The general rule is 3-5 watts per gallon, some hard corals and thing require more than that and a few corals dont require any light at all because they don't take from the sun, they take from the water instead. Also the watts per gallon isnt allways accurate becasue different types of lights put out more sunny goodness than other types. The t-5's and metal halides are very popular.
3.) get some good flow in your tank with powerheads or some sort of water movement
4.) alot of people go with a sump/refugium, which is anotehr area to house water that usually goes below the tank and the water out of your tank flows by gravity down to the partitioned tank below that generally has more item in it that help naurally filter out thing you don't want like phosphates and nitrates and add things you do want like oxygen. you can put more live rock in here with some more live sand or mud as well as some plants that absorb bad and give off good, just like trees outside. then you have a pump in the final chamber that brings this water back up to your dispaly tank.
5.) protien skimmers are also very popular as they are fairly inexpensive and can do alot for your tank in teh way of getting rid of gunk and some nasties you don't want
6.) get allt he test kits you can. the basics are ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, alkalinity and PH, but you can also get them for calcium, phosphates copper and iodine and even more if you are doing a nice reef setup. corals can be very touchy about thier water conditions.
7.) when setting up a new tank you have to go through whats called a cycle
this means that the first water you make up fro the tank won't have much in the way of bacteria, bacteria eats ammonia and ammonia will come from you live rocks and sand so it takes a bit for that bacteria to grow enought to consume your ammonia, and when they do they turn it to nitrites and tehn into nitrites and alstly into nitrogen which leaves your tank and dissipates into the air. This cycle is maybe the hardest part because it can take a few weeks to a few months for this to take palce and its hell waiting to stock your investment full of corals and fish. But you can't rush this part if you want it to be really good, jsut let mother nature take its course and you'll have a fine set up afterwards.
8.) you will definatley want an RO/DI filter system. Reverse osmosis. this is pure water for your top off from evaporation and for freshwater to mix your salt with to make saltwater.
9.) make sure you get your livestock from someplace that is reputable for taking care of their stuff. you don't want to buy a fish or rock that has a bunch or nasty stuff on them that may never leave your tank. Specialty fish stores if you have them in your area are usually pretty good because they know what they are doing when it comes to fish (Usually)
10.) dont forget to make drip loops in your electrical wiring so if you get a leak of some sort it doesnt run down your wiring and into the socket and fry your whole hobby.
Good luck hope this helps for starters.

raymond2688

welcome
i have to say you came to the right place for advice...+ on the attitude.
i did research before i started mine but i was miss guided along the way by LFS cost me alot of extra money. since i found this site i have a wonderful tank. my cycle process took 3 months or better and that was the toughest part. i almost gave up a bunch of times. good luck if done right and with the advice of the fine folks on this site it will all be worth it.

NYSharkbait,
I don't mean to hijack you thread, but I am in the same exact boat as you. I am in week four of my cycle and am itching to add some fish.
My question is, when putting rock in your tank, how much of a gap between your tank and rock formation do you want? I figured I would ask this question here b/c it might help you out too...
Thanks everyone...
~grace

nysharkbait

Thanks for all of your advice. I agree with you all, I was thinking about the 6'. Thanks for cementing that.
Who is a reputible dealer in tanks online? I don't have a LFS.

quiltingmom

I'm still considering myself a newbie. Probably will for another year or so or even longer.
The best advice I can give is this(and that's what I did):
Read everything you can get your hands on, forums are a great resource, BEFORE you buy anything.
Patience, Patience, Patience! How many times was I itching to buy fish because my empty tank 'looked' ready. Fish are live creatures and I wanted to give them the best start possible.
Test your water daily in the beginning, it really helps to figure out what's going on and if you need to fix it.
Don't skimp on equipment because it may be a little cheaper. So far, before I bought and will buy anything I do my research and read the reviews on that particular kind of equipment before I place my order.
Find a high quality fish supplier that takes care of their fish so you don't end up with diseases and such.
Hope this helps from one newbie to another.