New guy with no clue

reefkprz

Originally Posted by NySharkBait
http:///forum/post/3172304
Lets pretend I've decided on a Volitan Lionfish, what can go in the tank with it?
just about anything thats not nippy and wont fit in its mouth. volitans are actually very peacefull. avoid triggers etc as they will vork over the volitans fins. but between the two requirements it actually limits you a lot.

nysharkbait

Damn it! Now I like Mandarin Dragonet. But they're little. I just can't win. Maybe I should stick with the smaller fish....

louti

If you like lionfish, look into fuzzy dwarfs, zebras, and foo Manchus. All of these are dwarf species. They'll still eat anything that fits in their mouths, but their mouths are much smaller.

small triggers

I agree with Louti, if you like the lions,, go with a dwarf version maybe a fuzzy or something, you still cant get the mandarin as the need a mature tank with lots of pods anyways, but you could def. have some color with maybe a flasher wrasse, an anthias or 2,,,you have alot of combos with a dwarf lion..

nysharkbait

Ok. I've found some fish I like. Any suggestions or input on compatability?
Spotted Mandarin
Green Mandarin
Royal Gramma
Lawnmower Blenny
Shrimpgoby
False Percula Clownfish

small triggers

they will all do fine in a tank that big, you will have to wait until you have a large noticeable copepod population before adding the mandarins, could take 6 months to a year,,,Have a very large sump/refugium to help out with places for the pods to multiply...

J

jstdv8

Firefighter,
you can have as little or as much room as you want. Probably what will decide this factor is weather you are going to be cleaning the abck glass or letting the good the bad and the ugly grow all over it so you cant see out, makinga natural backdrop. Quite a few people do this. So if you go that route you can put the rock right on the back glass and let it buck. Side glass, same concept. Front glass is your viewing area so leave some room for the cool fishies to swim by and prbbaly a little sand so the stuff that lives in there might want to come to the front of your tank so you can see them once in a while

quiltingmom

Copepods are tiny crustaceans that live in liverock and in the sandbed.
I believe that is mostly what the mandarin gobies eat. That's why they are hard to keep.
You can buy a colony of live copepods at the LFS to replenish the stock; at least mine sells them, anyhow.
There is also a way to raise them yourself, might be more beneficial if you're thinking of getting a mandarin goby.
I'm sure there are threads here in this forum about it.

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3172362
Firefighter,
you can have as little or as much room as you want. Probably what will decide this factor is weather you are going to be cleaning the abck glass or letting the good the bad and the ugly grow all over it so you cant see out, makinga natural backdrop. Quite a few people do this. So if you go that route you can put the rock right on the back glass and let it buck. Side glass, same concept. Front glass is your viewing area so leave some room for the cool fishies to swim by and prbbaly a little sand so the stuff that lives in there might want to come to the front of your tank so you can see them once in a while
Thank you....
~grace

E

eric b 125

i would pick one of the two mandarins you like and go with that one. having one mandarin puts a big enough strain on pod populations. the sixline will also compete with the mandarin for pods. are you going to put a sump/refugium on your tank? i would really recommend it if you plan on a mandarin. i've heard of people 'training' their mandarins to eat frozen foods, so you could also try that, but i wouldnt try it until my pod population was big enough (just in case)

fretfreak13

Sixlines eat pods, so really if you want a mandarin you should nix the sixline because they'll compete for food. Catalina is kinda out too, they prefer colder waters than pretty much everything else.

E

eric b 125

also, youre attitude toward this is awesome and will take you a long way. the fact you decided to ask questions and do some research is pretty big. my suggestion as far as tank size would be a 125. i think they are great starter tanks and they allow a lot as far as fish selection goes while also being easy to clean.

nysharkbait

I can do with out the catalina...and even the sixline if need be. But I can't part with one of the mandarines. Could I raise pods? Or how about establishing a healthy colony of them in the tank prior to adding fish? I have no problem setting this tank up for a year before my first fish sets fin in the tank. Maybe I could establish a nice population of pods prior to stocking the tank...

egill

Originally Posted by NySharkBait
http:///forum/post/3173651
Question...there is a guy selling a 125G tank on craigs list and said it hold water. That a good deal?
Depends on how much he wants for it and if it comes with a stand or any other equipment.