New in SW. 55 Gal Setup ... help is needed

chingchong

I have witnessed something really weird...
both my anemones are alternating their look.
if one shrunk the other one is "expanding" its tentacles.
i woke up this morning with one looking like the picture above ... came back 2hrs later, it's the opposite ... the tentacles have been retracting themselves ...
any advice?

khaotic2

Anemones also shrivel up to expel wastes. Is there a brown stringy substance coming from the mouth? This could be the cause for the change.

edwar050

Man I sounded just like you when starting, and you are still a good ways ahead of me now. I just got three damsels in my 30 gallon, and have a 10 gallon hospital. I have two velvets :( and a blue. I made my own rock which kicks but was wondering where you got the anemonie and if you have clownfish that host it? I will have to quarintine the damsels though I believe in the 10 while acclimating the clowns to the anemonie> what do you guys think?
thanks brad

edwar050

Thanks carp, good advice!!! AAA+ I have enough lighting but I am going to wait on the anemonie. I heard that when acclimating the percs its a good idea to place them in the same bag as the anemonie so they can become accostomed to each other? I am getting rid of both of the velvet damsels bc they are def to aggressive "i got them for free" or am going to let them duke it out in the 10 gallon :nope: I was thinking about getting a blenny, royal gramma, and two pers while keeping the blue devil damsel bc he appears to be less aggressive than the velvets what do you think magic? U the man and have helped me make some good decisions before.
brad

chingchong

Well one of my anemones died over the weekend. I was not home to see what was going on... was out of town ... got home ... saw it dead. the other one is apparently fine but sits on the sand, in the right back corner of the tank.
i had brown algae, but i think the cleaning crew has been working on it.
got also my HOB fuge... going to get some LS. it holsds 3 gallons of water.

obarrera

I knew it was gonna die.Like some people say,they need alot of lightning and a mature tank,and you didn't have any of those too right?

chingchong

question
i moved my tank to the living room..
i unplugged my fluval canister
i have now :
2 mj 900 ph's at the top of surface pointing to the top/front/central of the tank
1 aquaclear + surface skimmer
1 cpr bakpak2r
do i need to plug it back in
also, my sand bed is really dirty. and my water not as crystal clear as i could get it on a fw tank.
any idea?

X

xoxox

Your going WAY too fast, you haven't even had the tank up a month? It needs to mature, your going to go through many different stages, not just the cycle. Its not like freshwater where you can just add everything at once. Your water quality will become unstable and sensitive creatures will suffer.
Rule #1 - Patience is a virture with SW...

jag3365

Wow no kidding. I have had my 125 up only a few months and have some snails and hermit crabs in mine. Still got a few damsels in QT, waiting 4 weeks before I think about putting them in. It's great that things have worked out for you so far, but don't push your luck. Just hope it works out.

chingchong

alright ... i am thinking to order some more LR. SWF.com seems to be the deal ....
can i put their LR directly in the tank upon reception?
i don't have a surface skimmer now. my tank isn't drill and i am not into sump ... because if the pump stops i am scared of overflowing the apartment.
now i have a cpr bak 2 w/ a mj1200 ... is there a surface skimmer box availiable or a diy box?
oh i finally got a jebo 220W 4x 55W with 2x 10000K and i am getting 2x actinic blue.
right now the 50/50 replace the future actinic ...
would it be better to have the 50/50 and the actinic ? as opposed to 10000k + actinic?

montidanae

well, yout lighting is doing good, and your progressing good, but you need to cure the LR first, stuff int he LR died while shipment, and causes a minicycle if put right in the tank. it shoudl be cured in a garbage can(brand new) or a differnt tank, with heater/powerhead/skimmer and such, lights arent importants on curring live rock.

montidanae

about a month, its goign to start a whole new cycle in the QT tank, i would scrap off some of the dead sponged if you get mor LR, this si smell very very bad!

dskidmore

Originally posted by chingchong
i don't have a surface skimmer now. my tank isn't drill and i am not into sump ... because if the pump stops i am scared of overflowing the apartment.

If you get an hang-on overflow box, you shouldn't have to worry about the sump overflowing when the power goes out. Overflow boxes only remove water above a certian line. If the water drops below the line, water stops flowing. You just need to leave enough space in the sump for the water in the lines, and if your return line goes under water, you need either a check valve or a siphon break on it. A siphon break can be as simple as a small hole drilled in the return line just under the water surface.

shandoni

Cleaner Clams as like mine will bury themselves down into the sand. Mine will pop out for about 3-10 days then dissapear again... I like to watch it with its little foot... watch your sand... youll see him pop back out...
Nice tnak btw!
Haitians and Pink Tips arent compatible... I have a Oscellerous clown and a long tentacle, carpet, Haitian hes not hosted in any as of yet.. had him about 3 months...been told sometimes they do sometimes they dont... sighs

chingchong

any advice on boosting coraline algae? been 8 weeks almost, my LR have a lot of white patches, and my lace/base rock have not sign of coraline propagation... good thing though ... no more brown algae.
and how long before i can see sign of evolution :notsure: