NEW Reefer. 180 gallon

detane

IT IS ALMOST DONE. Next step is adding the two 48" T-6 actinic lights I picked up from my LFS for $30. I will do this early tomorrow morning so I can post pics of the finished product by noon.

J

jojo727

D, the hood came out great and the tank made some nice progress. you may have to put a couple of sheets of window screen over the tank for a few weeks when adding the new lights and take a screen off each week for about three weeks, this will acclimate the softies to the new intense lighting. what are T-6 lights...i know of T-5s, T-8 & T-12, but i havent heard of T-6s? reguardless, what type of reflectors are you going to use on those bulbs? i think its cool to have the open top, it'll keep the water cooler since heat rises but it also allows some of the light to escape but that shouldnt matter since you have such intense lighting.
what size sump & skimmer did you end up using? what about the return pump and the type of salt you're using? and are you dosing any supplement?

detane

Originally Posted by JoJo727
http:///forum/post/3020819
D, the hood came out great and the tank made some nice progress. you may have to put a couple of sheets of window screen over the tank for a few weeks when adding the new lights and take a screen off each week for about three weeks, this will acclimate the softies to the new intense lighting. what are T-6 lights...i know of T-5s, T-8 & T-12, but i havent heard of T-6s? reguardless, what type of reflectors are you going to use on those bulbs? i think its cool to have the open top, it'll keep the water cooler since heat rises but it also allows some of the light to escape but that shouldnt matter since you have such intense lighting.
what size sump & skimmer did you end up using? what about the return pump and the type of salt you're using? and are you dosing any supplement?
Thanks fam....
T6 lights are just a step up from T5's. Im not using reflectors since these will not be my main source of lighting. I am addding them to make the coral colors pop out more, so I placed them closer to the bottom of the sides of the canopy.
Im running a 30 gallon sump with about 60 pounds of live rock, Refugium, and I havent desided on a skimmer. My system has been established for 6 years now in a 75 gallon, then I transfered it over to this 180. All the paramaters are in check, just the water isnt as clear as it was when I had my Skimmer in.
Return pump is a RIO 20 HF Hyper Flow, which runs through my 1/4 JbJ Arctica Chiller, then back into my display tank.
The only thing I dose is Kalk and Calcium. For water changes I use OCEAN PURE. I do about 35 gallons of water changes every month if needed since I only have 7 fish in the tank.

J

jojo727

i see what you mean on the lights now. what type of macro are going to be keeping in the fuge? and no wonder things are looking so plushed in the 180, 6yrs in the game you got this down pack. as far as the water not being clear as before, do you mean a yellowish colored water or could it be fine sand particles because of your flow...did try throwing a sack full of carbon in the sump to see if that worked? if you still got the old skimmer put it in for now, anythings better than nothing. i aint to familiar with Rios pumps but i do recall the Hyper flow models being rated as good pumps. i may have to start dosing kalk soon, maybe even magnesium too. how are you liking that salt mix, is it lower in calcium and thats why you dose it or do your softies suck up that much? i thought i saw a Imperator Angel in your tank pics, is he nipping at anything, what other fish do you have?

detane

http:///forum/post/3021682
i see what you mean on the lights now. what type of macro are going to be keeping in the fuge? and no wonder things are looking so plushed in the 180, 6yrs in the game you got this down pack. as far as the water not being clear as before, do you mean a yellowish colored water or could it be fine sand particles because of your flow...did try throwing a sack full of carbon in the sump to see if that worked? if you still got the old skimmer put it in for now, anythings better than nothing. i aint to familiar with Rios pumps but i do recall the Hyper flow models being rated as good pumps. i may have to start dosing kalk soon, maybe even magnesium too. how are you liking that salt mix, is it lower in calcium and thats why you dose it or do your softies suck up that much? i thought i saw a Imperator Angel in your tank pics, is he nipping at anything, what other fish do you have?
The salt is effective and at $60 for a 200 gallon mix, you cant go wrong. I dose to get koraline only.lol
The fuge has cheato and live rock. I run the fuge lights opposite to my display tank lighting.
Angel doest pic at anything, as a matter of fact I found him dead this morning stuck to my koralia pump, sad day in the reef today. I also have a blue jaw trigger who loves to hide, i only see him once in a long while. I also have a couple of anthias, a dart fish, manderin goby, orange Fromia Starfish, sixline wrasse, and a lot of snails and crabs to clean up the place.

J

jojo727

that is a good price on salt, careful with the overdosing of calcium...may cause an outbreak but i hope not. sorry to hear about the angel, i found my diamond goby dead yesterday. you must have a boatload of pods to support a manderin and a wrasse. keep ya head up homie

detane

http:///forum/post/3022172
that is a good price on salt, careful with the overdosing of calcium...may cause an outbreak but i hope not. sorry to hear about the angel, i found my diamond goby dead yesterday. you must have a boatload of pods to support a manderin and a wrasse. keep ya head up homie
Yeah lots of pods in the tank. I just picked up a new sump setup today and found I killed a few during the process. I found a few in my skimmer cup. they were some big suckers. I'll be taking a pic of the canopy on the tank by tue when my new ballast comes in from my LFS.

trikonreef

im totalling lovin the pics!!! we have refinished one of our tanks, our 55 but we dont have it set up right now. we have our 45 gallon up and goin. we just got new stuff, my husband posted pics on one of the threads. but i just wanted to say that i love the tank and the woodwork. looks great!

detane

Originally Posted by trikonreef
http:///forum/post/3023215
im totalling lovin the pics!!! we have refinished one of our tanks, our 55 but we dont have it set up right now. we have our 45 gallon up and goin. we just got new stuff, my husband posted pics on one of the threads. but i just wanted to say that i love the tank and the woodwork. looks great!
Thanks.. I'll keep a look out for your thread to see your tank

J

jojo727

D, whats up? anything new going on with your set up? oh, i got a new pup the other day, well not a pup...he's about 2yrs. i'll have some new pics up by tomorrow night

detane

I picked up some LED lunar lights from IKEA for $50. The are NICE!!
Here is a picture. They change colors with a click of a button. There are two 48" stripps.
Im still waiting on my LFS to call me to pick up my Ballast for my HQI, but other than that everything in my tank is perfect.
DOGS: I was looking for a female blue to breed with my blue stud. I know there are a lot of breeders and that Our dogs end up in the pound, but I am willing to take the responsibility of taking back any pup I sell if the adopting family can no longer care for the pup or Dog.

J

jojo727

nice pic, actnic lit tanks always remind me of the first Pirates of the Caribbean
as promised, here's my new boy, he's about 2yrs old and was found in a field.

detane

Here are some pics I took today after getting my new ballast from Icecap.
I know I get this shadow because I have a stupid middle brace on my tank. SuckS!! Im going to call visio and ask if its ok to remove it, and how to do it safely.

detane

http:///forum/post/3029706
nice pic, actnic lit tanks always remind me of the first Pirates of the Caribbean
as promised, here's my new boy, he's about 2yrs old and was found in a field.

He looks healthy. Congrats.

J

jojo727

thanks homie. the lights look good, the shadow can be a good thing so low light corals can be placed there. how big is that anthias, it looks huge?

detane

http:///forum/post/3031164
thanks homie. the lights look good, the shadow can be a good thing so low light corals can be placed there. how big is that anthias, it looks huge?
Its dead. My trigger killed it today.

Im thinking about trading him for another Box anthias tomorrow if I can catch him and get him out of my tank safely.