New Scorpion Fish

hefner413

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/2690179
My girlfriend told me to relay a message, by the way. She said she's never met you and hates you already because she's been hearing me, for the past 3 days, talk non stop about "Hey, I want a Scorpion tank..."..."hey, check this Scorpionfish out..."..."what would you think about setting up the 90gal as such...". lol I think you've given me the bug and I'm brain storming.
My wife hates everything about SWF.com in general.

R

rcreations

Sweet fish! I've always been fascinated by Scorpions but I just don't have a proper tank for them.

hammerhed7

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/2690179
Hopefully, it doesn't come to that. I'd hate for you to lose such a cool, under-appreciated fish.
You said they're both eating frozen...I might have missed it, but I don't remember you saying exactly what kind of frozen foods they're eating.
If, by luck, they're taking silversides, I'd start by unthawing and cutting them in half. Then, soak them in either Garlic Guard (I've had great success with the product made by Kent Marine) or in Selcon and vitamins.
You could do the same with frozen or freeze dried krill, but I just don't think you'd get as much nutritional value as you would with the silversides.
My girlfriend told me to relay a message, by the way. She said she's never met you and hates you already because she's been hearing me, for the past 3 days, talk non stop about "Hey, I want a Scorpion tank..."..."hey, check this Scorpionfish out..."..."what would you think about setting up the 90gal as such...". lol I think you've given me the bug and I'm brain storming.
I am currently feeding fresh squid, scallops, shrimp, clams, and silversides, all soaked in kent garlic extreme, and selcon. His eyes appears to be healing, the wound is closed and his eye is clear it is just very swollen. He is still able to see out of it so I am pretty confident. I am watching him close, and I don't think there is any danger of losing him, I may consider doing a melafix treatment on him to speed healing it the swelling doesn't go down soon.
Please extend my most sincere apologies to your girlfriend, just let her know she is not alone, alot of people who have never met me still have a deep seated hatred for me
Besides you never know when I'll show up with a 12 pack and a bag full of scorpionfish.
Funny you should say that because I remember a similar conversation with my wife a while back when you posted pics of your dragon and had me searching the area for one. Part of me has to think they knew what they were getting into.

aw2x3

Sounds like you've gotten an excellant feeding variety going. When I lived in Chicago, it was SOOOO nice being able to go down the street, to a fresh fish market. I used to buy 4lb, whole frozen octo, on a weekly basis. Now, I'm lucky to find wild caught, sea food at my local grocer...God, I miss Chicago.
My current girlfriend is not a minority in my past relationships...I've only had one girlfriend that really liked my fish. I actually had a girlfriend ask me, one time..."If I asked you to choose between me and your fish, which would you pick?"...my response (and I remember it like it was yesterday)..."You want help packing your stuff?" Needless to say, she wasn't too happy and we broke up not to long after (after 5 years of being together). lol
My current girlfriend shares my love of snakes tho (we have 10...ranging everywhere from 14' to 2'...and we're getting more), so I can't complain. And, she's actually coming around to liking my fish. When my Crosshatch and Golden Puffer died, she actually was teary eyed and said "I really liked the chubby, yellow one...he was cute...I had named him Big Bird". lol
And...any time you want to make the trip down here (I'm about 345 miles south of Chicago), you're more than welcome. But, in my house, you'd better bring more than a 12 pack...we regularly go thru three or four 30 packs, when we have people over at my house. Anything other than "having people over", we usually buy kegs. lol
If you happen to find any other Scorps, up there, please let me know. I still have just about every fish stores phone number, still in my phone(mostly the ones downtown and the surrounding area...Old Town, Aquatic World, Old Orchard Aquarium, etc)...and a few, I still call every once in a while (and, they still remember me), asking if they've gotten anything "interesting" in.

hammerhed7

12 pack won't do it huh? I was just being conservative as to not give away my other favorite hobby, I will keep an eye out for more the guy I got them from said he can get more from his supplier with a little notice, He has sold 10 of them in the last month including mine. They ranged in size from 3"-8", and he just got a very cool white stonefish in that in a tank with crushed coral, it took me a few minutes to find him. I have been thinking about turning my freshwater 75 into a frogfish or stonefish tank. I mentioned it to my wife last night, and got the evil eye. You have a room for rent that isn't filled with snakes yet?

aw2x3

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2692501
12 pack won't do it huh? I was just being conservative as to not give away my other favorite hobby, I will keep an eye out for more the guy I got them from said he can get more from his supplier with a little notice, He has sold 10 of them in the last month including mine. They ranged in size from 3"-8", and he just got a very cool white stonefish in that in a tank with crushed coral, it took me a few minutes to find him. I have been thinking about turning my freshwater 75 into a frogfish or stonefish tank. I mentioned it to my wife last night, and got the evil eye. You have a room for rent that isn't filled with snakes yet?

Can't say that I do.
And, let me know about that Stonefish, if the guy is planning on selling. PM with some pics or something.

beach bum

dont know if mentioned yet, but those are both commonly called "orange barbfish" you can find them in reef fishes vol.1 (which i have misplaced and can't remember scientific name)
I kept them before - easy enough to wean, and they grow quite fast. Do not overfeed them, it is what killed mine - autopsy revealed serious fat deposits around heart. All in all i think they are the most "user-friendly" scorpions - not shy, eat well, and grow quickly.
nice fish

hammerhed7

You are correct they are sometimes called orange barbfish, scientific name is scorpaena Brasiliensis. Their care requirements are very similar to lion fish, and overfeeding is a big problem with lions as well. I think the reason for this is they have great personality, and they always act hungry. Once they identify you as the provider of their food, they beg for food anytime you approach the tank. The key to success is a varied diet with proper portions.