New Seahorse tank Diary

flower

Okay…I have a 30g long tank that has been given the go ahead to keep Fuscus Seahorses in it..YAYYY!
Day #1 Decenber 23 2010
I just put water in it today. For right now I have a HOB penguin style filter which will be replaced with a sump ASAP. I have the tank for the sump but I need to get together the plumbing and set up baffles. Money is tight until after the Holidays.
I built a foam rock wall and used dry aragonite sand, I have seeded the sand with some from my 90g reef and used a gallon of water from the sump. That should be enough bacteria to get things going. I also have a small Korlia power head for movement. I'm not sure if it is safe to use the power head once I have my critters.
At first I was going to try non-photosynthetic corals and sponges but they require strong water flow, and I understand seahorses need a pretty calm tank.…so I guess I have to go with fake corals for hitches. I can add some mushrooms and maybe Kenya tree, I need to do more research on what can go with the horses.
It was pretty cloudy earlier but it has started to clear. I will add some ammonia in there tomorrow and kick start the cycle.
Clearing up but still cloudy..at least I can see the rock wall now.

flower

Thanks, I need all the support I can get!
Oh and I figure why fight the Holiday crowd and go to the store...I tossed a frozen raw shrimp in the tank just now...so I get to spend my days playing chemistry...boy it has it been a LONG time since I started a new tank. I hope I remember all the stages.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340808
Flower looks great, if you need a drawing for the sump I am here.

December 24 2010

Day #2 ...The tank is still cloudy, I'm a little concerned because of the fake wall, so I am running carbon just to be on the safe side. Also the tank is cold which means the cycle will be slow, but I don't want to heat it because I was going to map the temp through the month to see if I need a chiller...LOL..I may need a heater to bring it up to the 70s I haven’t put a thermometer on the tank yet.

Al you are so sweet, you already did, I just have to get some cash and get er done.

TeresaQ, Thanks, I was concerned about the fake decor, some of it is weighted with metal..Is there some way to be sure of what I'm buying? I will trust the site you gave me...but if there is some way to tell I would like to know it.

Also..Falling back on my FW days..Algae on fake stuff is a nightmare, anything I can do to keep it clean or what do I use to clean it up? Also how much of it do I put in the tank for the horses to be happy and can you explain a "feeding station"

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340808

Day #2 ...The tank is still cloudy, I'm a little concerned because of the fake wall, so I am running carbon just to be on the safe side. Also the tank is cold which means the cycle will be slow, but I don't want to heat it because I was going to map the temp through the month to see if I need a chiller...LOL..I may need a heater to bring it up to the 70s I haven’t put a thermometer on the tank yet.

Al you are so sweet, you already did, I just have to get some cash and get er done.

TeresaQ, Thanks, I was concerned about the fake decor, some of it is weighted with metal..Is there some way to be sure of what I'm buying? I will trust the site you gave me...but if there is some way to tell I would like to know it.
milies/wave.gif">
Also..Falling back on my FW days..Algae on fake stuff is a nightmare, anything I can do to keep it clean or what do I use to clean it up? Also how much of it do I put in the tank for the horses to be happy and can you explain a "feeding station"
I think I am loosing it good thing I am not using any 2 part epoxies these days or going out drinking with my buddies, LOL - I already sent you a drawing?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340808

span style="font-size: 10pt">TeresaQ, Thanks, I was concerned about the fake decor, some of it is weighted with metal..Is there some way to be sure of what I'm buying? I will trust the site you gave me...but if there is some way to tell I would like to know it.

I think I am loosing it good thing I am not using any 2 part epoxies these days or going out drinking with my buddies, LOL - I already sent you a drawing?

Yes, when I first got the two 30gs and wanted to make the lower one a sump. I don't think you are loosing it..you have done so much for so many you just lost track.
I noticed everytime someone needs a measure for a sump drawn up...you are right there to help. I know you have been a HUGE help for me. Thank You!

teresaq

there are some plants that will say saltwater safe, just look closely at them for metal.
A feeding station can be a shell, a dish, a plastic feeding cup for bird cage, just something you can put the mysis in and train your horses to go there to eat. You can attach it to a small mag float for easy cleaning. Just search that other site for Ideas.
I use a net. I rinse my shrimp and hang it on the side of the tank. My powerheads are in a switch, and I just turn them off while they eat.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340953

there are some plants that will say saltwater safe, just look closely at them for metal.
A feeding station can be a shell, a dish, a plastic feeding cup for bird cage, just something you can put the mysis in and train your horses to go there to eat. You can attach it to a small mag float for easy cleaning. Just search that other site for Ideas.
I use a net. I rinse my shrimp and hang it on the side of the tank. My powerheads are in a switch, and I just turn them off while they eat.
Oh that was the other thing...I have a small Korlia power head, are they safe? Should a power head be covered like with an anemone? Meowzer said she had no issues but the face of the Koralia looks like a horse could hitch on it and get hurt...

teresaq

I have a nano in my tank, but Fuscus are much smaller and may get a tail in there. It would not hurt to cover with netting or plastic canvas.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340964
I have a nano in my tank, but Fuscus are much smaller and may get a tail in there. It would not hurt to cover with netting or plastic canvas.

Thank you for the good idea! Plastic canvas like what they put over apples and fruit would work perfect and not restrict the flow.

Seahorse source is out of Fuscus (how is that pronounced?) and it looks like they have been for a while. I found another site that claims the horses are captive bred, they want allot more than seahorse source...$115.00 each. You mentioned getting 4 females so that nothing breeds...is there reason to not get 4 males? Hope you don't mind my picking your brain.

teresaq

not really, male may get a little snicky though, lol. id get two of each though, and not worry about breeding, With that other site, you can always find someone in your area looking to raise fry.
PM Dan and ask him if he knows when and if they might get them and also look for private breeders. I would not pay that much.
T

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3340976
not really, male may get a little snicky though, lol. id get two of each though, and not worry about breeding, With that other site, you can always find someone in your area looking to raise fry.
PM Dan and ask him if he knows when and if they might get them and also look for private breeders. I would not pay that much.
T
The horses for $115.00 site ...I can't find it...Oh well. I did e-mail Seahorse source and asked, so fingers crossed for when I am ready for them. If and I do mean IF I were to get babies, can they be put in the refugium...would they be able to eat and live in there? I don't have an extra tank for baby seahorses and I know if I had some I would try and save them.

flower

Well I got disgusted and did partial water change. I can't stand cloudy. The fish lights look so weak after looking at MH lights in the other tank. My little Koralia PH gave out..I will take it apart and see if I can get it back to working. So the only circulation right now is the little HOB filter.
Everything looks pink.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/382639/new-seahorse-tank-diary#post_3341146
Why don't your run your canisters on this tank for now - fill it up with a lot of floss.

The pipes to my canisters were very old and can’t be cleaned, so I tossed them. They are plastic and in the recycle hopper...I could fish them out. I tossed out all the media...you think floss would do?
I want to make the lower tank a sump so I wasn't concerned. Actually I'm even surprised I bothered to put water in it yet. As always nothing goes according to plan.
The hardware store only has glass for windows. I need something thicker for baffles. So I either have to find a glass place or he said try a fish store...I can't see a fish store having glass. Glass places charge more so on Payday I will try and get the glass. Then I have to get a pump and hose and an overflow.
I may not have what I need until the middle of January. Soooo if floss will do, I have plenty of that stuff, oh and some carbon. So maybe I will go that route.