New Stuff!!!! And need a bit of advice...

ryancw01

Well, it has been a while since I splurged on my tank so I decided to go big and get a bunch of stuff this time. I have only ever had PC's for my tank so the first thing I got was 3 LED PAR38 lamps so now I have a few SPS corals that seem to be doing really well so far. I also got a clam. He has moved around quite a bit, but seems to have found the spot he likes now. And finally I got a Votech MP40w ES which I think is awesome so far. It took me forever to get it set up the way I wanted it though. There are just so many different features and I am not that smart so it was a process for sure!
What I need advice about is the red algae growing on the other side of the tank now. I have been using the long pulse mode where it goes strong for 30 seconds and then slows down for 30 seconds. Should I just crank it all the way up you think? My tank is only 65 gallons so I dont want to blow the fish all around too much. Also, the clam is taking quite a bit of current in his spot right now. Shoud I move him or is he good there???

ryancw01

Oh yeah...I forgot about the new mystery wrasse. Had him for a few months now. He is pretty cool. Always looking at everything in the tank hunting around...

al&burke

Hi - I don't know a lot about these PH - but I think your tank looks great. I think the others will ask the standard questions - what are your parameters, how old are your bulbs.

meowzer

I would get the cyano siphoned out....what do you use for filtration, do you have a cuc? do you use tap water?
Is that a crocea clam? If so it should be on the rocks.....I would run the MP40 on Random mode.....How high do you let it run?

ryancw01

I have a refugium underneath with a protein skimmer. Tons of algae growing in it. I upgraded that light to LED also at 4600K. The new Phillips ones that they are selling at the Depot. Those work great if anyone is looking for an awesome refugium light. I only use RO/DI water and have been doing so for about 4 years now. I have it hooked directly into the sump from under the sink on the other side of that wall. Makes life much easier to fill up once a day just by turning the valve.
I let the MP40 run a little more than half power. It is kind of loud any higher than that. Maybe I will try Random mode or Nutrient export mode. As far as the clam, I originally had him up on the rocks and he kept moving himself down to the sand. The LEDs are extremely bright though so I think he is fine where he is.

meowzer

It has nothing to do with the lighting.....a rock boring clam will want to attach to ROCK....LOL....
I have 2 MP40's that make Little to no noise.....make sure you have it aligned perfectly......if not it will make a vibrating sound

1guydude

ya looks sweet
....is the cyano all the green stuff on his overflow? Can u give us a list of the animals ryan at least???

ryancw01

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/385101/new-stuff-and-need-a-bit-of-advice#post_3376084
It has nothing to do with the lighting.....a rock boring clam will want to attach to ROCK....LOL....
I have 2 MP40's that make Little to no noise.....make sure you have it aligned perfectly......if not it will make a vibrating sound
Well, like I said...he was up in the rocks and kept throwing himself down to the sand. According to another website that refers to Daniel Knops book about clams...
"Can be position on the substrate in the bottom of the tank in a moderate water flow area if intense lighting is provided. Otherwise position higher up in the tank in a secure location where it is not in danger of falling (jumping) in order to ensure it gets adequate lighting. "
"""
I do understand that in nature they end up in shallow reefs on rocks, but this little monkey doesnt seem to want to do it that way. He is attached to the rock now that is right behind him and he has not moved. Looks like that is going to be his spot now.
As far as the MP40 noise...it is not vibrating, just the sound of the motor. My tank width is between 1/4th and 3/8ths though and I have the pin spacer set to 1/4th. I am thinking maybe take it up to the 3/8th setting???

1guydude

o yes deff suk that up! im just getting ANOTHER small diatom bloom on some of my sand. I hope this is the last of it! Wheres the list for animals !!!!!! ahahaaaaahhhhaaahhhhhh

meowzer

HMMMM....can't help you on the pin spacer thing.....My tank was at the maximum width, and I did not need to use them
Then again.....it would not hurt to try it....
IF the clam UNattach's, try placing a rock underneath it.....otherwise, with it being attached to something I would NOT move it either

ryancw01

Yeah, that green stuff is Green Star Polyps(I think that is what it is called)...it is a coral that spreads like crazy. Would not recommend it personally. It took over that whole rock in the front and is creeping up the back wall. Need to scrape it off. Not sure if I like the way it looks back there.
Animal list:
Maroon Clown
Yellowtail damsel
Flame Angel
Mystery Wrasse
Starry Blenny
Anthia(Think a Hawaiian something or other)
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Fire shrimp - He killed the other fire shrimp within 35 seconds of being in the tank. $25 down the drain.
Some turbos and small hermits

1guydude

very nice...KOOL lol fire shrimps around here are $40. ya i saw some of that stuff at one of the LFS thx i didnt get any

flower

Awesome power head! Check for phosphates, and I think the cyano is growing in a dead spot. The rock is blocking the power heads flow in that area. Either readjust the position of the power head or add a another small one to move water in that area. Other than that...looking good.

ryancw01

Yes. Good idea. I had a Koralia on that side as well as a Koralia on the other side before the MP40. Maybe I can position one so it just points straight down at that spot at least for a while. Thank you for the compliment also!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/385101/new-stuff-and-need-a-bit-of-advice#post_3376130

Awesome power head! Check for phosphates, and I think the cyano is growing in a dead spot. The rock is blocking the power heads flow in that area. Either readjust the position of the power head or add a another small one to move water in that area. Other than that...looking good.

ryancw01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfish http:///forum/thread/385101/new-stuff-and-need-a-bit-of-advice#post_3376178
Where did you get your Par38 leds and what are they rated at.Oh and how many
They are the Ecoxotic PAR 38 LED's. The site I got them from posted them at 12,000K, but they show 8,000K on the bulbs. Not sure if that is because they are a mixture of 2 blue and 3 whites or what, but I do like them so far. I got 3 of them and because I have a high canopy I was able to suspend them using picture frame wire.
Looks like a mess when you raise up the canopy, but no one looks under there except for me. Here is a pic. I still have the PC's running too. I was thinking I could just use the LED and get rid of the PC's but thier beam is not quite wide enough for this size tank. As you can see, I am using the picture frame wire to point them at certain corals. They will be easy to adjust as the corals grow.

ryancw01

Here are a few more aquarium pics as well as my new refugium light. It is a Philips LED outdoor flood light from the depot. It is only 4600K which is a little lower than what I had, but the algae is responding to it really well and it will last years longer than a typical flood lamp. These were taken from my phone camera so sorry not the best quality...