New tank running great, BUT...

mystic7

as usual the water refuses to completely clear up. I added a Yellow Tang and Flame Angel 3 days ago, both are eating and swimming around. I know I'm still not out of the woods yet with them but so far so good. But, as has always been the case in the past, my water is still not crystal clear. I've tried waiting it out in the past and finally gave in and used some type of "water clearing" product in the past. I don't want to do that this time.
Assuming decent water, straight from the tap, how long should it take until the water is sparkling clear? As a reminder I only have the two fish, and a bunch of fake coral in the tank, no LR, LS (Biospira only).
Any opinions?

mystic7

Yes, 180. As I said above, I'm using Biospora. I don't need a lecture on how I should be going natural, I hate myself for taking a shortcut and I know I'll pay for it down the road. My question right now is how long should a tank take for the water to clear up. Whether one has started the cycling process or not shouldn't factor into the equation, should it? We're talking the bacteria in the water that has died and is fogging it up. How long before it's gone? It's been 4 full days so far.
btw, it's not even as clear as it appears in my avatar. That was a bit of photoshop trickery.

dvst8r

id say you got about 2-3 weeks before the fish are dead
about 4-5 weeks for there rotting corpse to deteriate
and about 2 weeks after that for the water to clear
SO TO CLOSE THINGS OUT ABOUT 2.5 MONTHS OR HALF THE TIME IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN YOU TO CYCLE THE TANK
DO THINGS RIGHT=ALOT LESS PROBLEMS

danedodger

Jeez, easy you guys! Ya catch more flies with honey than vinegar and all that jazz

M7, I hope I don't come off as lecturing but you asked and I'll answer in my own personal style as my own conscience dictates soooo... Yes, it does have to do with the cycle! Bacteria doesn't just up and die for no reason and especially in such great numbers that it clouds your water. It could be that your ammonia is through the roof. That would explain the cloudiness perfectly as high ammonia will also kill off beneficial bacteria. There isn't a single product on the market, despite what they claim, that I would count on to instantly cycle my tank or fully populate the needed amount of beneficial bacteria. Some of them may help speed the process by seeding the tank with the necessary bacteria, at best, but the tank still must cycle in order to properly establish a bacteria bed ample enough to handle the waste from livestock. Most of the products out there don't have the right bacteria or, if it's the right bacteria, there's no way of knowing just how much of it has survived.
Do a water test and give us the numbers.

J

jcrim

Everyone has indicated certain problems here... I agree with the above posts. Now on to the solution... placing some carbon in the filter will help clear up the water. Also, now that you have those fish, you have to try to minimize the cycle. Bio spyra won't eliminate the cycle but does help. Contact some LFS by you and see if they have any established crushed coral. If they do they may give/sell it to you. Put the cc in a mesh bag and place in your filter. This should help spread the bacteria quickly.

poiboy

If you don't have a test kit you should go out today and pick some up (Salifert) if you can help it. There's nothing wrong with using a chemical to start your cycle but if you don't monitor it all will be lost and since you used tap water I would also get a copper tester because inverts don't stand a chance with copper in your tank. As far as the tank clarity goes that will be the least of your problems but like the previous states running some carbon shouold take care of it. The test kits should be number one on your list and you should be testing for Ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and copper since you used tap water, all other tests can wait since your tank is in the newbie stage.

poiboy

If you don't have a test kit you should go out today and pick some up (Salifert) if you can help it. There's nothing wrong with using a chemical to start your cycle but if you don't monitor it all will be lost and since you used tap water I would also get a copper tester because inverts don't stand a chance with copper in your tank. As far as the tank clarity goes that will be the least of your problems but like the previous post states running some carbon shouold take care of it. The test kits should be number one on your list and you should be testing for Ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and copper since you used tap water, all other tests can wait since your tank is in the newbie stage.

mystic7

Danedodger, sorry if you thought I was referring to you. I was actually anticipating the DVST8R's of the board chiming in. If he had bothered to READ my post he'd have known that I wasn't too crazy about the quickie method I took, although it seems to be doing ok so far. He also would have noticed that I asked a simple question. How long for the water to clear, which I've found out should be 2 to 3 weeks.
I already have a test kit. A test kit won't tell me how long it will take for the water to clear.
In any event I'm outta here. I don't know why I bother joining message boards, I always end up in flame wars with people who spend more time searching the boards for posts to impose their "wisdom" on than actually enjoying their hobbies!

hot883

Originally Posted by mystic7
as usual the water refuses to completely clear up. I added a Yellow Tang and Flame Angel 3 days ago, both are eating and swimming around. I know I'm still not out of the woods yet with them but so far so good. But, as has always been the case in the past, my water is still not crystal clear. I've tried waiting it out in the past and finally gave in and used some type of "water clearing" product in the past. I don't want to do that this time.
Assuming decent water, straight from the tap, how long should it take until the water is sparkling clear? As a reminder I only have the two fish, and a bunch of fake coral in the tank, no LR, LS (Biospira only).
Any opinions?
Ok, I will give it a shot. The 2 fish should not have been added and certainly not added at the same time. To fix this (yes, I will get to the clearing water), I suggest you take the fish back. Add 100-150 lbs. of live rock and cycle the tank correctly with ro/di water. Tap water will NOT do.
This alone will clear the water up.
I thought it quit amuzing that you say in a few post down that you "don't know why you join message boards you always end up in flame wars" or something to that effect. You self admitted that you shouldn't have taken the short cut route and know that you will pay for it later.
If you knew you started wrong, why did you continue and buy 2 fish and add them at the same time? You are asking for what you are getting.
We are here to help and some people come off all hot and huffy, but can you see why? Ask and then LISTEN, don't get defensive when you know you are wrong. I'm not flaming you, just trying to see if you want the help.

scubadoo

Danedodger, sorry if you thought I was referring to you. I was actually anticipating the DVST8R's of the board chiming in. If he had bothered to READ my post he'd have known that I wasn't too crazy about the quickie method I took, although it seems to be doing ok so far. He also would have noticed that I asked a simple question. How long for the water to clear, which I've found out should be 2 to 3 weeks.
I already have a test kit. A test kit won't tell me how long it will take for the water to clear.
In any event I'm outta here. I don't know why I bother joining message boards, I always end up in flame wars with people who spend more time searching the boards for posts to impose their "wisdom" on than actually enjoying their hobbies!

Many simply want to correct mistakes. There are many paths you can take that will increse the odds for success. I would think that would be the goal of the responsible hobbyist...to be successful.
Cloudy water can be casued by many things including bacteria blooms. You need to test ALL your water parameters and make sure they are within acceptable limits.
Your best plan of action would be to return the two fish to the lfs and allow your tank to cycle/settle.
You also requested for us to ASSUME the tap water was of "decent" quality. Unless you have information stating exactly what is in your tap...this also could be contributing to your problem of cloudy water. Water conditioners do not remove all the undesirables. Also, you stated you had this problem (I assume with other systems) regarding cloudy water. The tap water could be your source. many other contributiors such as overfeeding and also additives which you are using.
Both of the animals you added require mature systems...so taking them back would be the responsible thing to do.
In trying to clear your water, running some carbon will help...but the fact you stated "as usua" l the water is cloudy leads me to beleive there is a constant factor(s) that remain present.
test kits will not tell you how long for the water to clear but it will tell you if the parameters are within acceptable limits. No one can give you an informed opinion if you do not even know your water condtion.......which can be arrived at by using test kits.
I thought enjoying the hobby included taking paths that will increase the odds for success where bith the hobbyist and fish/animals are happy.
Unfortunately, you have selected a path that is not one most likley to succeed.
I do not care if you are still here....but others reading may benefit. This is why many will respond pointing out problems. Some do so in a harsh way. Simply ignore them if you'd like.....but ignoring the advice is a mistake.
But you appear to have the answers and refuse to consider informed views. THere are many people with lots of experience on this board.
Best of luck

tetra9999

id take the fish back and put that money towards a cheaper ro/di unit that might not pump out 180 gallaons a day but with in a few days youd have your tank full. then your set for quite some time on clean water

tim_12

If you cant handle constructive critisizm, then yes, you shouldn't have joined a message board. You're asking a question and expecting everyone to say you'll be fine with what you're doing, which you wont. We're only here to help you. We get nothing out of trying to make you miserable. Good luck with your tank Mystic, you'll need it.

stevil

One suggestion is to find a local aquarium society. I joined on in my area and they have a forum that is much less crowded and has been very useful for getting focused information while I'm getting started up. Since there are fewer people browsing and responding, the amount of noise and flames is reduced dramatically. A quick search for a North Carolina one turned up this: http://www.ashevillemarine.org/
I still come here (obviously) because there's still great information to be found.

whaa...?

Straight from the tap eh? i think you need water that has gone through osmosis. Try your walmart they have some by th beer.

brolik1

Get a good RO/DI unit, the tank is cloudy probably through high ammo,and the bio spira is something to help speed the cycle by seeding the tank with beneficial bacteria. Do frequent water changes and you should see the tank start clearing soon.

dvst8r

SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU but it really,really, really bugs me when people come on here and say how much they really hated or know that what their doing is wrong but doing it anyways the fish that have their gills burning off and their little fishie lungs about to explode probably dont care how sorry you are that you went that route!!!!!!!!!!! Also if you think that all I do is search web pages to start a criticism war ........ well maybe you should look - my posts becase this is the first negative post that i have ever put up. Going into the holiday or CHRISTMAS season (sorry if i offended anybody else) nobody should be playing god and thats about what you are doing with those fish
MERRY XMAS EVERYONE

rberhow

OK, everyone, please take a deep breath. We have all made mistakes and there are many ways to go about things in this hobby. Some are the "accepted" methods, some are people's own beliefs and ideas. Some will argue for one way, some will argue for another. Hopefully, through these boards, we can all learn through everyone's wisdom, trial and error, and find how we want to proceed with our own individual tanks. I don't think any of us can look at our tanks and say that we did everything right. If you can, I bet if you post what you did, someone will find something they would've done different. That's the best thing about this hobby, there is no clear cut answer and there is always so much to learn. That said, I will jump off my soapbox now and hopefully lend some encouragement and a littlle wisdom, as that's all I got, to help M7 out.
I think Jcrim, said it well and thank you Jcrim, for being so eloquent in your words. I would consider adding in some carbon, if you aren't running it already. If you have been running it already, you may consider changing it since it can fill up quickly in the beginning. Otherwise, I know one of the moderators who has a vast amount of knowledge, does suggest doing small water changes during your cycle when you have fish in the system to help them survive. I hope I could help out a little. Let us know how it goes and how your doing.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by DVST8R
SORRY IF I OFFENDED YOU but it really,really, really bugs me when people come on here and say how much they really hated or know that what their doing is wrong but doing it anyways the fish that have their gills burning off and their little fishie lungs about to explode probably dont care how sorry you are that you went that route!!!!!!!!!!! Also if you think that all I do is search web pages to start a criticism war ........ well maybe you should look - my posts becase this is the first negative post that i have ever put up. Going into the holiday or CHRISTMAS season (sorry if i offended anybody else) nobody should be playing god and thats about what you are doing with those fish
MERRY XMAS EVERYONE

You attempted to give him/her some advice...although the method employed was somewhat lacking.

The reason for leaving I would think would be the reason for asking the question...so those with wisdom or expereince would help and point out possible problems in the short and long-term covering all the problems that may occur based on the status of the system and decisions made. :notsure:
I certainly have made ALL the mistakes...which is why I attempt to help others from falling in the same holes.