new to hobby advise always wanted

lmforbis

I saw pics of those too just none for sale so no info on keeping them. Do your research you want to make sure you find one from tropical waters so it is compatible with your tank. I'd be interested to see how it goes.

Ok so I just got the protein skimmer for my tank. I was wondering if it should go before or after the foam filter I have. This is what the back looks like. Or if any one thinks of a better place in the back

Attachments

20151217_183543.jpg
20151221_194945.jpg
Thought I'd give an update. My tank is finally over the anemone incident. Thank goodness. But I lost my Coral shrimp, and a blenny in the process. And I am so happy I added the the pistol shrimp he and the watchman are dest buds and fun as hell to watch. They have made quite the fort together and are out in view almost all the time. I also added a few clingfish and they are cool to watch when I feed the tank they are vicious little SOBs. But stay to them selves otherwise. I also added a fairy wrasse and every thing is getting along and happy. Also found a little stowaway brittle star

Attachments

Ok so I just got the protein skimmer for my tank. I was wondering if it should go before or after the foam filter I have. This is what the back looks like. Or if any one thinks of a better place in the back
Would help to know the type of skimmer you got but I would remove the foam and place the skimmer there. Also on a side note looking at the rear chambers are you sure thats a bio cube? Bio cubes have 3 chambers that looks more like a aquapod 28. I have the aquapod and probably the best skimmer I could get for it was a reef octo BH1000. It was a hang on back that took water from the first chamber and returned it into the second chamber. then you can leave the foam but you have to cut small slots in the hood to fit the tubing for that skimmer.

I did forget to post when I found out it was the aquapod. And I made my own skimmer but it didn't work because i designed it to be in tank but the water levels didn't alow it so I'm back to the drawing board. And looking to do a hang on the back type. I'm also looking in to a light upgrade as well. I would like to do leds

Well like I said the best skimmer I found for that tank was the reef octo bh1000 but it was a little overkill. If you wanted to do a skimmer that would fit in the rear chamber you would have to do some modding to the rear chambers as the baffle between chamber 1 and 2 does not allow for the water levels to remain consistent and greatly effects skimmer performance. Its easy to do though I just siliconed in a piece of plastic to seal the bottom of the baffle and that will keep the water level consistent in the first chamber. If you went the route you could save some money and go with the reef octo bh50. It has some decent reviews and should fit in the fisrt chamber.

Lighting is tricky if you wish to keep the hood. Rapid leds or steves leds are great choices (or make your own if your good at that kind of stuff). Another option would be panorama pros by exotech. Those with a little thought you can mount them into the hood. Only issue is you would need a bunch of them and at 39.99 per unit along with power supplies and all it will add up quick and in the end you will probably be better off just buying a kit from rapid led or steves led that just screw into your hood and plug it in. Now thats assuming you want corals if not a bunch of options open up

Ok thanks for the advice. I have decided HOB skimmers would be the way to go. And I do want corals that's what I think makes the tank. And I've seen some cool kits for the biocube that I think would fit. My LFS also has one with leds that I could model off of. And the hard part is keeping the hood which i want to do. But hell I like a challenge and retro fiting stuff. Makes it yours.

I agree with retrofitting I am sure some of the kits for the bio can be fitted with a little thought. With HOB skimmers the only issue I have ever seen is sometimes they can go nuts and over flow the cup. This can be a huge issue with a hob skimmer. The one I had it was easily fixed by drilling a hole in the cup in putting a fitting into the skimmer cup that in the case of an over flow would drain it back into the tank. Just something to keep in mind with HOB skimmers they are great as they save room and really is there only true downfall but it can easily be solved for just a few bucks

God luck with your tank I used to love my aqua pod I have since sold it and went to a 92 gallon but I still loved that tank

That was my plan for the overflow issue as well. I do love my pod and it's great for starting and I can't complain as it was free. But I have dreams of a 100+ system on day. Thanks for the advice it's always helpful

So I just got a AI Prime LED and I had some questions. First off is there a certain distance it should be from the surface of the water, and it has Calvin settings so what temp Calvin should I run. Or basically any settings I should set it at. It on a Aquapod 28gal. I have 2frogspawn, a plate coral, a leather thing, several mushrooms, and I just added a Zenia.

bang guy

So I just got a AI Prime LED and I had some questions. First off is there a certain distance it should be from the surface of the water, and it has Calvin settings so what temp Calvin should I run. Or basically any settings I should set it at. It on a Aquapod 28gal. I have 2frogspawn, a plate coral, a leather thing, several mushrooms, and I just added a Zenia.
Set it to the color you like best.