New Toy

agent-x

So I've been thinking about getting a new toy and i have it narrowed down to two options. option number one, 2007 Nissan 350Z. Option number two 2007 Jeep Wrangler unlimited four door 4x4. What are everyones thoughts. I'm trying to come up with pro's and cons for both. I will list a few of my own pros and cons Pros: 350Z, fast and sharp looking. Jeep, 4x4 and no top on nice days. Cons: 350Z, only two seats and limited cargo space. Jeep, half doors are not available yet and terrible gas milage. Thanks in advance for your help. also I've driven both in the last few days, so If you have any questions let me know.

bayside

look into the infiniti G35 2 door, just like the Z but a lot sharper. im not positive so dont quote me on it but i dont think the prices are a huge huge difference.
i have one and love it. tons of power and you can still get most of the nissan nismo aftermarket add ons for it. next to my M3 it is my favorite car i have.
if you are set on those two choices the decision is what you are looking for in a car, if you need to have enough room in the ******** and have toys that you will need to haul the choice is obvious. but if you want a fun car to tool around in the Z is pretty fun but i must say the G35 is a lot more fun

agent-x

Originally Posted by bayside
look into the infiniti G35 2 door, just like the Z but a lot sharper. im not positive so dont quote me on it but i dont think the prices are a huge huge difference.
i have one and love it. tons of power and you can still get most of the nissan nismo aftermarket add ons for it. next to my M3 it is my favorite car i have.
if you are set on those two choices the decision is what you are looking for in a car, if you need to have enough room in the ******** and have toys that you will need to haul the choice is obvious. but if you want a fun car to tool around in the Z is pretty fun but i must say the G35 is a lot more fun
I have a car i use to haul things, like my dogs or dirty stuff. this purchase will be mostly for fun.

catawaba

Go for the Jeep. Lots of 'flexibility' i.e. you have more 'choices'---can have more occupants/luggage, can go off road, rides better than expected on highway, can take top off, better road traction, sit up higher so better visibility, less insurance costs, American made, good warranty, can go to Camp Jeep, still has enough zip to get around--I recommend the standard transmission, not the automatic. Police may not be as likely to pull you over for speeding---especially since you'll be less 'tempted' as in a Z.
Gas mileage will be better than posted on window and not all Jeep's "require" super unleaded. 4x4 provides good resale value. Put some nerf bars on it and it looks pretty sharp too.
I've owned 3 diff. Wranglers.....and if I could have a third car, I'd get another one.

agent-x

the only thing i worry about with the jeep in 1.) The two my brother in law had both had bad transmissions and 2.) the half door ones are not out yet. I guess those are my only real compaints other than it seems slugish on the highway.

catawaba

drop a gear and go
they are geared toward higher rpm's for peak performance.
If I want more torque/giddyup in my Audi, I shift at about 3500, but in my Wranglers, I'd have to get around 4200.
If you have the brochures, you can look at the graphs for horsepower/torque and see they are meant to be driven this way.
"Back in the day" it would be frowned upon to let the engine 'rev' so high.....NONSENSE
Engines these days are meant to be driven---that's why 'red line' is up over 6000 on most now....
Just my 0.02.

agent-x

they have an auto though, or is the auto not worth it. how does the auto handle in 4x4. I've only had manual 4x4's and always wondered how well an auto would do.

bayside

if its going to be just for fun id get the Z or if you have the means check out the G35. i have owned one jeep and i will never have one again. something is always going wrong and if you do the things they are supposed to do you end up just breaking things and buying new parts.
so why dont you you just got a fun little car that you can tool around in and tinker with. i think that is more fun but hey thats just my opinion

seannmelly

me personally instead of the 350z i would go buy a wrx sti. they are fast, all wheel drive, 4 door. they dont look the greatest but for performance its a a+

tangman99

+1 on the G35. I'm looking at getting one but probably the 4 door because of the reason I'm wanting one is it is more practical with kids. I love my Corvette but I've had it for over 5 years and I'm just really getting tired of it and want something a little more practical.

breineach1

C'mon guys- the answer is obvious... Wrangler! Waterproof ******** for hauling salt water, cured live rock, wet buckets, etc. What more could a fish lover ask for!

tangman99

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Tang man. If I was 16 id take that vette so fast. I gotta wait 2 yrs though...
If I was to give it to you for free and you were 16, you'd be hard pressed to afford the insurance on it. My son will be 19 this year and he would love to have it but the insurance is way too much even with a clean record.

triga22

Yea I know insurance is bad. I know a way out of it though. If its a collectors you get money off.

seannmelly

for performance and money the wrx sti is the way to go. 30 grand for the sti, what 60 for the vette and im guessing what mabye 40+ for the g35? yea the vet might be 1 sec faster in the 1/4 stock but with a little tuning the sti will be much faster and still saving you 20+

agent-x

Originally Posted by seannmelly
for performance and money the wrx sti is the way to go. 30 grand for the sti, what 60 for the vette and im guessing what mabye 40+ for the g35? yea the vet might be 1 sec faster in the 1/4 stock but with a little tuning the sti will be much faster and still saving you 20+
I looked at the sti's it was about $36k for the one they had, plus I didn't really like it that much. The g35's start at around $34k. And the 350z I was looking at was $29k. I even looked at the evo's, but they didn't have any and I couldn't get the Evo 10 until next year, they said they could get me an Evo 9 but it would be around $36k.