newbie needs help

Hi everyone! I am planning on building my first saltwater fish only tank and need some help. This is my first tank ever so be kind with your fish jargons lol. I have a friend that has experience and will help me but I dont want to bother him with every single question. My tank will be 115 gallons and I am on a tight budget. What I need is a list of affordable (but good quality) canister filters and protein skimmers that a newbie can easily maintain.
edit: I forgot to mention the tank will be flushed against the wall so I cant hang anything

mr. limpid

Welcome. Canister I don't know but I recommend the Octopus BH-2000 skimmer. I highly suggest setting up a quarantine tank (QT) the same time you set up your display tank (DT)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by is250sp http:///t/391610/newbie-needs-help#post_3473957
Hi everyone! I am planning on building my first saltwater fish only tank and need some help. This is my first tank ever so be kind with your fish jargons lol. I have a friend that has experience and will help me but I dont want to bother him with every single question. My tank will be 115 gallons and I am on a tight budget. What I need is a list of affordable (but good quality) canister filters and protein skimmers that a newbie can easily maintain.
edit: I forgot to mention the tank will be flushed against the wall so I cant hang anything
Hi, and welcome to the site.
DO NOT PUT THE TANK FLUSH AGAINST THE WALL.
Without a sump you have to hang everything....from a protein skimmer to a refugium and everything in between. Over time folks add phoshate reactors,and auto top off systems to just name a few and NEVER say never that you won't need to. Adding and removing equipment is part of the hobby but moving the tank is EXTREMELY difficult to do.
If you can't leave at least 5 to 8 inches free from the wall choose another place to set up the tank...or go with a sump system where you can place extra equipment...even then leave 2 inches at least, since you need to be able to service the hoses and plumbing and reach the wires.
A very good canister are the Fluval brands. A 305 or 405 would work perfect for your size tank.

sweatervest13

Quote:
DO NOT PUT THE TANK FLUSH AGAINST THE WALL.
+1
You will have a very hard time doing this. How would you hang any of the equipment if it is??? Is doing a sump an option for you??
I also agree with Flower the fluval brand of canister filters are good. But the new ones are the 306, and 406 (305, and 405 are last model).

I have a "tv" nook in the living room that is 52 inches wide and 18.5 inches deep and planning on building an in-wall tank. The tank I plan to get is 18 inches deep which pretty much leaves about 1/2 inch in the back. Yes I am doing a sump (I have no choice). I was told that I can service all of the hoses at the bottom. Is this not true?

snakeblitz33

I personally wouldn't waste money on a canister if you were to go with a sump. Instead of a canister, you could buy a BRS dual reactor and run carbon and GFO - it's a lot more efficient than a canister filter and you get 10x the filtration because the water is actually passing through the media.
I also personally would not have 1/2" clearance behind the tank either - that's crazy! Keep in mind your tank also needs air circulation.

acrylic51

Welcome!!!!!!
I have to agree with some of the earlier posts.....You stated your going to go the sump route and honestly see no need for a canister for whatever the purpose might be....Flow....might be your consideration, but IMHO not worth the cash you'll spend on a decent canister filter and the sole purpose being "flow".....Foolish money spent as you stated your on a tight budget. That money you'd spend on a "decent" canister filter you could wisely spend on decent power heads (PH's) IMHO.......
With that said you are correct, with a sump you can do basically all your servicing from below from the sump area....You'll still need to access the top of the tank for display cleaning though. As far as placing it 1/2" from the wall, I think your definitely leading yourself into a problem down the road......My argument with placing the tank that close to the wall, is that have you ever witnessed what a saltwater tank will do to a wall several inches from a wall over time.....You might tell yourself not a big deal since it's behind the tank, but it could lead to all sorts of issues.....

tirtza

Welcome is25sp! I'm really interested in following your build process. If possible keep a 'build' journal on this site to keep track of your progress. I'm eventually going to be moving on to a bigger tank and I'm interested in learning everything I can :) Good luck!

snakeblitz33

Keeping a tank that close to the wall will lead to a lot of salt creep and a lot of water damage and mold/mildew/fungus over time. I still think it's a bad idea.
What else is on your equipment list?

spanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by is250sp http:///t/391610/newbie-needs-help#post_3474077
I have a "tv" nook in the living room that is 52 inches wide and 18.5 inches deep and planning on building an in-wall tank. The tank I plan to get is 18 inches deep which pretty much leaves about 1/2 inch in the back. Yes I am doing a sump (I have no choice). I was told that I can service all of the hoses at the bottom. Is this not true?
In wall tanks are indeed a great idea. However if you look at some of the build around on forums they most always have some type of access from the back. It sounds like you are not going to have this. You can I would think Prep the wall behind somehow to avoid the degradation of the wall from the moisture and salt creep thay will go on. Howver no matter what you are going to have a build up of moisture in that space and without a good way to evacuate it nothing you do to prep the wall will protect the area from possibilities of mold and such growing.

flower

Adding to Spankos concerns...the hoses from the bottom has to attach someplace and hang inside the tank. The back would be too close to be able to service your system. A sump on the bottom or canister...the same holds true for either one. You could go for a much smaller tank for that spot. A 30g long tank (36 x 18 x 12) looks pretty nice and that would give you more wiggle room in your space. You will still need to seal the area against water and moisture damage.
Here is a picture of mine when I had it. Being shallow tank, the one T5HO unit was plenty for soft corals...the longer tank gave it a bigger look than a 29g cube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///t/391610/newbie-needs-help#post_3474145
In wall tanks are indeed a great idea. However if you look at some of the build around on forums they most always have some type of access from the back. It sounds like you are not going to have this. You can I would think Prep the wall behind somehow to avoid the degradation of the wall from the moisture and salt creep thay will go on. Howver no matter what you are going to have a build up of moisture in that space and without a good way to evacuate it nothing you do to prep the wall will protect the area from possibilities of mold and such growing.
Excellent idea! I can get some sort of sealant to treat the wall, or maybe some stainless steel wall panels. I am thinking of putting a shelf about 10 inches above the tank...however after hearing you guys say that the tank needs room to breathe, what if I dont build any shelf at all? So this means I will have at least 4 foot of airspace above the tank (52" w x 18.5" d x 48" h). Will this work? I am really trying to get as big a tank as possible for that space. If I have to go smaller, I probably wont even build anything at all :(
On the other hand, if I can get away with a shelf, what would be the minimum distance from the tank?
Also, since I wont be doing a canister filter, I still need more recommendations on a good affordable protein skimmer.
Thank you everyone! I may take some pictures of the build and post them later.

snakeblitz33

Depending on the steel, it may rust. Remember that salt is extremely corrosive.
You will need space above tank for lighting! Should be very well ventilated to keep from heating up the tank too much.
It can be done. You just need to consider everything first.

snowfighter

Hello
. I too am new to the hobby. I started a 65 gallon FOWLR tank about 4 weeks ago. All these suggestions of giving yourself adequate space is definitely very good advice. I have mine set up against a wall, but can easily get to the other 3 sides of the tank. I am 3 inches from the wall, but dont really plan on hanging things off the back, but really... you never know. I have learned much through just my own 4 weeks of experience. For one thing... 5 to 6 inches away from the wall might have been better. I have a sump too, which is under the tank in the cabinet that came with the tank. The problem here is that the sump takes up all of the area in the cabinet. It has a stupid 15 inch door for a 36 inch cabinet. This is not adequate, and if I run into problems with hoses it is going to be a real struggle. Please, do yourself a favour and leave as much open space to reach all areas of your sump. There is no doubt in my mind that you will look at it after everything is set up and say to yourself "I should have done that differently". I know because I have thought so already. The problem for us new to the hobby, is that we just don't have enough experience, and while you try to limit your mistakes, you will make them and learn from them. The folks here have been through it all, so their suggestions should be heeded. All I am saying, as a new enthusiast myself, is try to plan ahead if you can, try to plan it out. Think about equipment you might get in the future, where you might place it and how you will install it and how you will maintain it. Good Luck with your build, Have a Great Day.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Also, since I wont be doing a canister filter, I still need more recommendations on a good affordable protein skimmer?
Check out the Reef Octopus skimmers... Pretty darn good for the price IMHO.