Newest Addition to My Tank.

d12monkey

Here's a picture of my lastest addition to my tank. It's the only known Goniaster tesselatus in captivity. I was able to aquire it while on a dive today. Anyone ever heard of this starfish? I only found 13 hits of it on the internet. And supposedly there's only 2 picture of this starfish known to exist.
:hilarious :D
:happy: Mine happens to be the third.

gilpil

pretty starfish, but there is probably a reason why they are not kept in captivity. I would say do some extensive research on it, and if it is not keepable, try to return it if it is not too late.

d12monkey

Originally posted by Gilpil
pretty starfish, but there is probably a reason why they are not kept in captivity. I would say do some extensive research on it, and if it is not keepable, try to return it if it is not too late.

The reason I've found on the web for it, is because no-one can find them to study. The Mississippi-Alambama Sea Grant Consortium (MASGC) attempted to study it in 98-99 but were never able to aquire any for their research.
Link to their paperwork. http://www.masgc.org/communications/...8-99%20apr.pdf
:thinking: Good research opportunity.

fishy411

That is the absolute coolest starfish i have ever seen! And i only found 1 other picture of it!:cheer: :cheer:
:cheer: How long have u had it for? keep us updated. Also can u shrink one down 100 by 100 so i can use it as my avattar? If u can can u post it here. My email is down.

d12monkey

I got it today while diving out of Miami, Fl. I might sell/donate to some research facility for further research on this extremely rare starfish.

d12monkey

Any comments as to whether I should sell/donate? You thoughts? :notsure: Would rather sell but should I consider donating? Or just keep this extremely valuble find for myself? Again your thoughts on the topic?

blemmy_guy

Well to start its Freakin Awesome looking!!!! And Heck ya sell it if ya can!!
And if its as rare as you say it should bring a nice price! if not i would keep it, but definately i would read up as much as possible, i would hate to see it die! Best wishes. todd P.S. I want one!!!!

fmarini

Awesome looking starfish, there are a number of cool photos in Julian sprungs book on keeping inverts. This star looks like one in the book.
Also I'm not sure from your photos where your keeping this guy but a number of these cool looking stars aren't really reefsafe.
guess you'll find out. Nice catch

viet-tin

Id say sell it so they can study it. This way maybe sometime in the future if they know enough about this star maybe everyone else can start buying these cool looking stars.

bboersma79

That is awesome...although I must say I would make sure it makes it to a research facility to learn more about the species...like a trophy fish they are often best released...take your pics and you have a great story! I would also redive that area and see if there are more!

d12monkey

The starfish is doing grand. Name it Coney... will attempt to feed tomorrow, as it would not eat yesterday due to stress of capture. Coney has been moving around the aquarium since I got home and seems to be adjusting fairly well... LOL my chocolate chip starfish seems to be afraid of it. Moves away everytime it get near. Anyone in the Davie area wants a chocolate ship starfish?

blemmy_guy

I was reading up on your star fish. It sounds like you eally need to let someone know you have it!! thats an extremely rare find from what it says!!! Let us know how it goes!! Todd

d12monkey

Originally posted by Blemmy_Guy
I was reading up on your star fish. It sounds like you eally need to let someone know you have it!! thats an extremely rare find from what it says!!! Let us know how it goes!! Todd

The Smithsonian Marine Institute, the University of Miami Marine dept, Florida International University Marine Bio dept, as well as the British Institute of Marine biology have all been contacted yesterday morning. :D Just waiting on a response.

d12monkey

Apparantly this species of starfish was discovered in 1816 and over on the mexican yucatan coast only 24 have been found since 1816 with the last one being in 1973.

fishfood

If it is that rare there is a possibility that it is on an endangers species list of some sort. I'm not sure. Owning it could get you in trouble if it was. I'm not saying it is though. Its a great opportunity for you to make some nice contacts and get it to someone who could help put it to good use. I didn't see you mention the Mote marine lab. Thats in Tampa I believe.

d12monkey

Originally posted by Fishfood
If it is that rare there is a possibility that it is on an endangers species list of some sort. I'm not sure. Owning it could get you in trouble if it was. I'm not saying it is though. Its a great opportunity for you to make some nice contacts and get it to someone who could help put it to good use. I didn't see you mention the Mote marine lab. Thats in Tampa I believe.

True I forgot about MOTE marine... will be contacting shortly :notsure: don't know why I didn't think to contact them I used to volunteer for them.

darknes

I was just curious how you were able to ID this starfish if there were only two pictures that exist of it?
How long did it take to ID?