Newest Addition to My Tank.

bustedup21

Great find. I hope you can find his or her mate. Would that be fantastic to tank raise some of those beauties.
Awesome.
Steve

gilpil

yeah, hope that works out. Very beautiful starfish. I am very envious. You should get that guy some lobster!:D

d12monkey

Originally posted by Gilpil
yeah, hope that works out. Very beautiful starfish. I am very envious. You should get that guy some lobster!:D

What say you about this 6 pounder? :D

ophiura

Originally posted by bustedup21
Great find. I hope you can find his or her mate. Would that be fantastic to tank raise some of those beauties.
Awesome.
Steve

Not gonna happen :( I wish it was easier. But you would have to:
- dissect it to know the --- (which might very well kill it)
- find another of the right --- (possibly very unlikely just to find one, let alone, the right ---)
- get them to spawn (extremely unlikely)
- raise planktonic and pretty fragile larvae in an environment with lots of fragile planktonic food
- get them to metamorphose and settle and grow years and years to reach reasonable size
Seastars (except those that readily reproduce asexually)are just difficult that way, LOL! I don't think any, apart from the hitch hiker Asterina and perhaps Linckia multiflora, have much of a chance of ever being tank raised. Sigh :( However, I know of a seastar guy who could use a job, so if anyone wants to put some money behind the project, I am sure he would go for it!! :D
So, I think we'll have to enjoy the one! Fantastic to know he's chowing down. (beautiful lobster too...you just get the coolest stuff!)

d12monkey

Originally posted by Gilpil
Slipper looks like a nice dinner.

You got me.
He's in there till I can get him a date with the frying pan. :hilarious

d12monkey

Originally posted by ophiura
So, I think we'll have to enjoy the one! Fantastic to know he's chowing down. (beautiful lobster too...you just get the coolest stuff!)

By the way. Thanks for the compliments.
You should see what I normal get and sell/or give trade to my local LFS...
But those are just more common stuff... These I had to keep for myself.

C

capschamp

you have officially made me jealous. congrats.

Great finds! I would like to see pics of all the stuff you catch. If you don't mind, and as long as no one gives you crap for catching the stuff.
glad that your starfish is eating. and you really should fry up that lobster. mmmmmm lobster.........:D

goinballde

OMG that is by far one of the most beautiful specimans I have seen..U da man..I hope ole boy stays healthy. Thank you so very much for sharing

d12monkey

Here's a picture of my 29 display tank, will be putting up some of my 55 in a few days. Ohh and it was fried lobster sandwiches for lunch. LOL I fed 3 people with that slipper.

d12monkey

Here's one of an orange sponge, photo taken with actinc light on only. :p I like the affter of it on the color of the sponge.

d12monkey

Here's a picture of the lighting on my little 29 gal. It's a 250W Metal Halide + (4) 24 in 75w super actinic bulbs off of a icecap 430.

d12monkey

Originally posted by JSB
Any updates on the Star or the Labs?

None of the labs that have responded has shown interest in studying this specimen. The Star has been eating and interesting enough for a deep sea star it has shown very contradicting characteristics. It is constantly moving to high lighted areas and high water flow areas. I think it's mainly due to high water flow. But the lighting is also a factor. When I place my temp PC light on an area with high water flow it'll move fairly rapidly to that area.