News flash: the war in Iraq is NOT a war against terror

boalgf

AW2. You remind me of a lot of guys I've come across here at Ft Bragg that try and escelate the importance of their time in the military. Throwing around words like special forces and classified information. I'm not saying right out that you are a liar, just that being in a special operations unit and working with sensetive material daily i feel like you are mostly just full of BS. I know full bird colenels in the 7th (special forces) who haven't seen the kind of action and material you claim to have been privy to. The people who have really seen the action and the documents are schooled to be tiight lipped about it. Our SGT Major never mentions his time in Korea any more than we bring up Bosnia or Afghanistan. Only the braggarts trying to get laid talk about it half as much as you do. Maybe you were just some golden boy and I'm way off though.
Your comment on signing your life away when joining the military is real idiocy, which I totally understand coming from a broken squid (who probably didn't make it through his first enlistment). Nobody ever says they got medically discharged because of tripping over a rock while doing PT. They all got injured in a helicopter crash, or while doing a combat jump. Signing the dotted line does entitle the govt to use me in any way they see fit, but that doesn't mean we soldiers are fodder for a mans personal ambition. Many people who did join for the college money are serving faithfully, it is not a poor reason to have joined.
I made an edit here, because my statement came out wrong and was made while I was still upset over the comments I read earlier. Many of the people in my unit and others I've met joined with patriotism being one of their reasons for joining.

darth tang

Originally Posted by boalgf
Lastly; I have yet to meet a person who really joined to serve their country. That's just a line the green boys use while being self righeous.

I will have to introduce you to my father. Not a braggart, tells very few stories about vietnam and his other service...but when asked why he joined (he wasn't drafted) his response is always "To serve my country". But he believes everyone should have to serve their country at some point in their life. He thinks it would give people a greater respect for things.

boalgf

Doesn't take away from my credibiility, seeing as I've never met the man (your father). Though it sounds like you know what I mean about those other people who talk up a storm about their accomplishments.

darth tang

Doesn't take away from my credibiility, seeing as I've never met the man (your father). Though it sounds like you know what I mean about those other people who talk up a storm about their accomplishments.
I know what you mean. I have met a few. What always bothered me is my dad didn't tell me one story till after I graduated High school....while on base I would here stories from the other dad's all the time. I didn't understand then, but after hearing a few of his experiences, I understand why.....

1journeyman

Lastly; I have yet to meet a person who really joined to serve their country. That's just a line the green boys use while being self righeous.
Fair enough that you've never met them, but I've had three youth graduate HS and join the military in the past 3 years. All three were from families that could afford to put them through college. All 3 said they "wanted to serve".
Have another 2 youth that did it more for financial/discipline reasons.
Anyway, not sure about the rest of your post, but from where I am at to say you've never met anyone that enlisted to serve seems unlikely.

boalgf

Like I said, never met a one. Plenty of people go in saying that to all their friends and family. All the civilians in the world can attest to the military people they know going in to serve and that's wonderful. I'm sure you've met a dozen or so military personell. I've met thousands. When it comes down to it, they have alterior motives. Money, a good start, education, they like the life... About half the guys I met joining said they went in to serve and that was nice. I'm sure it's what they told their teachers. Sure it's a piece of it, but never the whole reason. Doesn't matter how much you argue about their intentions until you've known them "IN THE MILITARY" for a few years and the initial BS of joining wears off.

pblrdom

Originally Posted by AW2
Actually, the only people to blame are those 18 - 23 year olds, who all volunteered to join the military...full active or reserves.
I get so sick and tired when I hear people saying..."Bush is killing our troops!! Bush is killing our troops!!"
Bush isnt doing it, people...it's the Iraqi insurgents, with the AK-47s and RPGs.

I couldnt read anymore of the thread when i got to this comment!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
My brother was killed in Iraq about 4 months ago.........
He didnt join the marines to go off and kill, or to show that he had anything to prove....
He didnt volunteer to die.
He volunteer to show his love and support for the most free and beautiful nation that YOU
live in. I am sick and tired of people saying he is killing our troops as well, but what makes my stomach turn is the people that say its their own fault for joining. If it was for the men and woman of the armed forces and the guards than ur fish would still be in the Fing ocean and you wouldnt bee here!!!

pblrdom

and as far as the people discussing the issue above w/people joining to serve their country.....
My gradfather, father, uncles (3), aunt (1), and brothers (3) are all, or were all in the military, from marines, to airforce, to navy.
The people in my family are proud to serve and protect the freedom that we have!!! I have been around the military my whole life, and met some very important and distinguished people, and for the most part do what they do to serve YOU!!

airforceb2

Originally Posted by jcrim
That's a naive perspective. First of all, the soldiers probably did not join the military to further Bush's personal legacy. They joined because the majority come from working class families and cannot afford education or good jobs without the military.
You don't blame Bush for this war??? You blame the Iraqis??? WE INVADED THEM!!! Remember "Shock and Awe". Now you act surprized that they are actually fighting back. What did you (or Bush) think would happend when we went in?

This post here offended me the most. First of all..."Shock and Awe" was Afghanistan NOT IRAQ after the Al Queda attacked US first. Second of all, Iraq is on our side and always has been. What people don't understand are the multiple governments out there. We are helping the Iraqi government and we are destroying the Al Queda government.
Now for the reason people joined the military...you have no idea what you are talking about. You used the word "probably" which means you are guessing. Working class families can get federal grants and aids to help them get through school. Only about 15% of todays soldiers joined for the sole purpose of schooling. I know I joined because I love this country and I want to keep it the way it is. I want to keep our streets and cities safe for my kids. If any other active or guard/reservists are on this board who have been over to Iraq/Afghanistan/Saudi they can tell you that it is a daily occurance to see a 15 year old child carrying an assault rifle for security, living in a box, and eating stray rabbid dogs for food. Can you imagine seeing that in America?? Can you even imagine total anarchy with no police force and whatever military we had was scared to even come out of their own house??
Before you go and bash on our beloved country and leadership, think about how it feels to be that 15 year old boy!!
P.S. I didn't see your name on the last ballot so Bush is doing a lot more than you are.
Thank you.

jmick

Air, you are wrong about your comment on “Shock and Awe”. It was the first stage of our war in Iraq when we attacked Baghdad (Shock and Awe by military terms is a combination high altitude, precision, air strikes... low altitude precision strikes on mobile units, and overwhelming presence of technology supported mobility... ).

airforceb2

Shock and Awe, developed 7 years ago was first used to support the war on terror in the Oct 2001 bombing of Afghanistan during Operation: Enduring Freedom. 1500+ bombs were dropped over a 72 hour span.
Again in 2003, Operation: Iraqi freedom displayed a shock and awe delivering a more powerful 3000 bombs in a mere 48 hours.
We all refer to the first one...but I will take back my comment as I was corrected.

triga22

I support it. And this here
3) We lost the war on terror when Bush failed to catch Bin Laden in Afghanistan/Pakistan
Um thats all clintons fault. He had his base surrounded and called it off. Get your facts right and quit picking on Bush good lord were building schools over there. You dont need to support them but If you dont support em dont yell at them and protest. An officer from GA was here on a 2 week leave and he cried over the radio because noone supports them or shows any respect.Get it together people and act like adults.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by crimzy
I wonder if any of the people supporting the war have changed their opinions...
Support it now more than ever...
The liberals demanded we pull out of Vietnam and millions died in SE Asia as a result. I, for one, don't want to see history ever repeat itself.
Iraq is the front line for Al Qeada right now. If we withdraw they will move to Afghanistan. How long before we would retreat from Afghanistan? Then what, we give them Pakistan and Malaysia? After that what do we do, give them New York? Maybe all of the northeast hoping to appease them?
Wars should never be fought in the media or on Capital Hill. Wars are won by soldiers and lost by politicians.
Edit: When I saw that this thread had re-surfaced I was sure Darth was responsible, hehe.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by crimzy
I wonder if any of the people supporting the war have changed their opinions...

Don't get me started again Crimzy....lol
Journeyman, I won't start any political threads. I will chime in if one is started, but I wouldn't have dug this up...lol.
I have been doing a lot of research/reading on the political front and historical the past year...so my "chimes" will be even more fact based than before.

triga22

Well said. I say we stay because if we leave the 2000 dead would of been pointless. If we dont stay they will multiply. We HAVE to fight them off now. If we wait for another attack millions could die.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Well said. I say we stay because if we leave the 2000 dead would of been pointless. If we dont stay they will multiply. We HAVE to fight them off now. If we wait for another attack millions could die.

I disagree with the pointless part. We removed an evil dictator and prevented his "line" from continueing and taking the country over in the future. We shown that region how to use democracy. We have helped set up a democratic government. and The most significant thing we have done......We have shown the Muslims of that Region AL Queda truly doesn't care for the people (muslim or not). We have shown Al Queda has no qualms of killing Innocent Muslims...That is the biggest thing right there.
So the lives lost if we pulled out tomorrow WERE NOT lost for nothing.