Nfl Playoffs

darth tang

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
Also, if I were a Dallas fan I'd be slightly ticked that the nfl awarded NY an extra home game. The game against the Saints could have and should have been plyed in San Antonio. IMO, this gave the Giants an unfair advantage over every other team in the division, conference and the nfl in general.
They probably still would have won, but playing on a different field you never know regarding injuries, etc. Either way...no other team in the nfl played 9 home games. Reduced travel, etc all are factors. THe outcome may have been the same, but who knows what would have happened regarding injuries, etc. We never will know....and that IMO is a shame that the nfl would grant a competitive edge to one team.

As a Dallas Fan, I would LOVE to agree with you. But I simply can not. Even with that game as a loss in their record, they still would have made the playoffs and won the division. Dallas still would have not. So it didn't matter to us. Who it may have affected is the Redskins, but they are in, so it really didn't matter.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
As a Dallas Fan, I would LOVE to agree with you. But I simply can not. Even with that game as a loss in their record, they still would have made the playoffs and won the division. Dallas still would have not. So it didn't matter to us. Who it may have affected is the Redskins, but they are in, so it really didn't matter.
You miss my point. if you play that game at a different location you never know what would have happened. Your assumption is that they would have won and would not have sustained any key injuries. Down and distance, etc would have all changed if the game would have been played in San Antonio. My point is from that game forward their season my not have been the same. What would have happend if Tiki Barber sustained a knne injury becuae of the turf or a hit? What about if Eli Manning sustained a season ending injury because the down and distance may not have been the same on every play?
What about one week less of travel? Does that factor in regarding a long season? Extra rest not afforded another team in the nfl?
Bottom line is NO nfl team should be given a competitive edge with an extra home game. The nfl could have avoided this but didn't.
You are focusing in on a win loss situation..and I am also stating more variables are at play and should be considered.

scubadoo

Assuming Dallas would have beaten the Rams the last week because the game actually meant something.,..and if the earlier game the Giants pllayed against the Saints would have been played in SA...what would have happened if the Saints upset NY? All three east teams would be 10-6 along with Carolina assuming the outcomes of all games reamined the same. I am not certain regarding tie breakers if that would mean DAllas would be in and another team out.

ruaround

You miss my point. if you play that game at a different location you never know what would have happened. Your assumption is that they would have won and would not have sustained any key injuries. Down and distance, etc would have all changed if the game would have been played in San Antonio. My point is from that game forward their season my not have been the same. What would have happend if Tiki Barber sustained a knne injury becuae of the turf or a hit? What about if Eli Manning sustained a season ending injury because the down and distance may not have been the same on every play?
What about one week less of travel? Does that factor in regarding a long season? Extra rest not afforded another team in the nfl?
Bottom line is NO nfl team should be given a competitive edge with an extra home game. The nfl could have avoided this but didn't.
You are focusing in on a win loss situation..and I am also stating more variables are at play and should be considered.
What about the Arizona Cardinals Home Game in Mexico City vs. San Fran, what the heck was the NFL thinking? there was NO home field advantage there...besides, the Giants were only playing the Saints... No offense Scuba (i realize nawlens is your team)...

fishboy091

new england, they never lose at home (miami beat them last week but they drop-kicked an extra point so do you really think they wanted that game)
i think carolina will upset ny
steelers will win in cinnci (they beat the bengals earlier this year in cinnci)
i think tampa will beat washington in a close one

darth tang

Assuming Dallas would have beaten the Rams the last week because the game actually meant something.,..and if the earlier game the Giants pllayed against the Saints would have been played in SA...what would have happened if the Saints upset NY? All three east teams would be 10-6 along with Carolina assuming the outcomes of all games reamined the same. I am not certain regarding tie breakers if that would mean DAllas would be in and another team out.

Dallas still would have been the out team.
I understand what you are getting at Scuba, but do to my teams own problems I do not what to contemplate what if's regarding that game as ultimately it did not help my team play better or worse.

puffer24/7

Chris SImms will have to throw in the clutch and he will choke. Washington is beat up so it should be a close game. In the end one big interception, fumble, or mistke by Simms will sink the Bucs boat.
huh, what happend the last time these two teams played, i rest my case, simms was all over their be hins

T

tizzo

The last time I posted who I thought was gonna win, they lost and I think I jinxed them, but if you notice my location you will be able to tell who I'm rootin' for. :jumping: :cheer:
But other than that
NE (Jax is good but I really don't like them!!)
Pitt
Wash

scubadoo

Originally Posted by puffer24/7
huh, what happend the last time these two teams played, i rest my case, simms was all over their be hins
Playoff pressure is differnet...much like Big Ben learned in Pitt last year.

X

xrobbx03

New England BABYYYYY hometown favorite
Giants
Bengals
Redskins

scubadoo

Originally Posted by ruaround
What about the Arizona Cardinals Home Game in Mexico City vs. San Fran, what the heck was the NFL thinking? there was NO home field advantage there...besides, the Giants were only playing the Saints... No offense Scuba (i realize nawlens is your team)...
You are correct...but playing a game in GIants stadium is a direct adavatage. I am simply pointing out how one team was handed an extra home game that never should have happened. The game in MC was known.....and provided no advatage for one team over another IMO. Anounced, agreed and planned well in advacne
It really does not matter I guess.....perhaps things would have ended up as they did in the end.
Change the game site to San Antonio and you never know. I really do not care regarding the Saints...I just am convinced it provided NY an unfair advantge. We simply will never know whether it would have changed anything.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Tizzo
The last time I posted who I thought was gonna win, they lost and I think I jinxed them, but if you notice my location you will be able to tell who I'm rootin' for. :jumping: :cheer:
But other than that
NE (Jax is good but I really don't like them!!)
Pitt
Wash
Your team was my Super Bowl pic back in June before training camp even started to represent the nfc along with Indy from the afc.
Getting to the big game though from a wild card position is tough. IMO...Carolina does have the best overall team talent in the nfc.

scubadoo

Dallas still would have been the out team.
Wrong..if all teams finished 10-6 CArloina would have been out since they lost to Dallas. If two teams from different divisions end up tied for a wild card the first tie-breaker is head to head if applicable. I'm sure you know I looked it up.

ruaround

Wrong..if all teams finished 10-6 CArloina would have been out since they lost to Dallas. If two teams from different divisions end up tied for a wild card the first tie-breaker is head to head if applicable. I'm sure you know I looked it up.

you are right but still no comment on the Arizona home game in Mexico City...
Perhaps that would have been the difference... :notsure:
but ohhh wait the Giants played he Saints...

scubadoo

that is one of THE worst videos/songs ever
...damn that was annoying in 85 and is even more so today!!! recordings have come a long long way!!!
they call me the fridge and im the rookie i may be large but im no dumb cookie...
these guys were full of themselves, they released this at the end of the regular season!!! Do you remember the Patriots come back??? " New England the Patriots are we...We'll beat the Bears just wait and see..." That was weak as well...
Actually the video was made to benefit the homeless/needy. it was quite popular back in 1985 and received national coverage.
Arguably the best nfl team ever put together...at least in that Super Bowl year. Number one offense and defense in the nfl that year. If you can do it or did it it ain't bragging.
I actually like it...but I am easily entertained. :cheer:

scubadoo

you are right but still no comment on the Arizona home game in Mexico City...
Perhaps that would have been the difference... :notsure:
but ohhh wait the Giants played he Saints...

Big difference between a neutral site and a game awarded to a team in their home stadium. Also, the game in MC was annoounced, agreed to, and known well in advance.
I am not a Dallas fan.......just wondering if others feel the nfl gave NY an unfair advantage.
It doesn't matter...they'll lose this weekend.

darth tang

But Dallas didn't finish 10-6......they were 9-7 so they were still the out team no matter what.
In the beginning ofg the season I was mad about it. But as the season went on, I got over it as I became more irritated at my teams drop off in production at the end.

ruaround

Actually the video was made to benefit the homeless/needy. it was quite popular back in 1985 and received national coverage.
Arguably the best nfl team ever put together...at least in that Super Bowl year. Number one offense and defense in the nfl that year. If you can do it or did it it ain't bragging.
I actually like it...but I am easily entertained. :cheer:
Actually They were ranked #1 in Defense and #6 in Offense...They were a good team, but certainly nooo dynasty...Only one year and kapooot...
All I said was that the song was annoying to me, and that the players were full of themselves...JMO

darth tang

Actually They were ranked #1 in Defense and #6 in Offense...They were a good team, but certainly nooo dynasty...Only one year and kapooot...
All I said was that the song was annoying to me, and that the players were full of themselves...JMO

The players were full of themselves, as were the coaches. But that is what made them great that year. They seemed to have lost that attitude after 85 which I believe helped propell them to greatness.
Here is an example of their attitude.
Buddy Ryan Defensive coach to The kicker Butler.
"So you're our Kicker now?"
"yep."
"We wasted a draft pick on you?"
I love that exchange.

oceanists

But Dallas didn't finish 10-6......they were 9-7 so they were still the out team no matter what.
In the beginning ofg the season I was mad about it. But as the season went on, I got over it as I became more irritated at my teams drop off in production at the end.

Darth i know what your saying , I have always been a HUGE cowboy fan , ever since i stood in the middle of the star and looked through the roof when i was 8 and took a tour of the stadium on my way to California with my parents .....................
The plain in simple fact is we dont deserve to be in the playoffs and we are not , we were wAY to inconsistant , Injury Plagued , we didnt play like we wanted it down the stretch ... we were 6-3 then we dropped off 2 - 5 , the redskins wanted it so they went out and took it winning 5 straight and slapping us in the face while doing it 35 -7 , we wouldnt have been in the play offs regardless NY had 9 home games , because we had a series push with them , and not only did they have a better div record they beat more common opponents , The Saints were flat out awfull and if theyu played that game in australia it wouldve had the same outcome ....... I am a cowboy fan and i can admit that we didnt deserve the playoffs , we gave up leads in the forth qaurter thinking the game was over , and it came back and bit us in the butt at the end of the season , granted we beat some tough teams we also lost to some horrible teams , and when your QB cant stand up for more than 3 seconds , nothing good is gonna happen because then you rely on the run which isnt going to do much with the O line that we had .......... If Flozell stayed healthy it may have been a different story ... I also dont agree with people saying parcells has to go , he is a great coach and he brought great players to the team , and he has a good young defense 3-4 defense setup in

[hr]
and ware ...... you can blame our season on kicking and the O line and the long snapper because thats where everything fell apart. Parcells did everything he could to try and fix that , Dump Cortez , sign suisham , dump suisham , sign cundiff , dump cundiff , sign suisham again. .......... Also i dont agree with people saying get a real QB ..... Bledsoe is a great QB he is tough .... one downfall he holds the ball to long ......... he is still the most solid guy weve had since early aikman (which i despise now due to his lack of skill when anouncing on TV i think him and joe buck are butt buddies) Bledsoe was on fire when he had protection .... what can you blame him for when he gets hit 23 times a game. Julius Jones had another Injury PLagued year which leaves me to believe we should be concentrating on Barber and Thompson and use Jones as Trade or Draft Bait , My Main Concerns this coming offseason ..... Keep Keyshawn on the team ........ Keep Parcells ......... Stay away from Owens ........ attack some young proven Lineman ....... Look for a solid kicker in FA ........... Sign Dan Campbell ......... and lose sean payton