Nfl Playoffs

puffer24/7

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
They did not shut down the USC offense. I actually thought they would do a better job and hold them to 20 points or less . Sorry, 38 points does not equal a shut down performane IMO. 20 points are fewer given the capbility of the USC offense would have been a pretty impressive performance.
Some may agree with you due to one fourth down stop in the fourth quarter. 41-38 does not equal a strong defensive performance by either team. It was an offensive shoot out in the second half.
ok i will rephrase this, they shut down the most important player on usc, and no one can dispute that

madman133

Originally Posted by PFitz44

hmmm this doesnt look right. I do believe denver will be close to the superbowl if not in it but will most likely not win. And instead of the patiots beating the colts i think the colts will win and then go on to beat denver. i think your pick of seatle being in the super bowl is correct though.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by puffer24/7
ok i will rephrase this, they shut down the most important player on usc, and no one can dispute that
You have to shut down an entire offense to claim the defense won the championship. It is not a fact that TX shut Bush down....he was shut down by the USC coaching staff. The USC staff seemed more committed to throwing the football then running it. Even on their last possession, when conventional wisdom dictates you run, they decided to throw on second down (incomplete) stopping the clock and allowing TX to save a timeout. Run on that down and again on third and perhaps they would have picked up a first down.
Much like the national media , the game had already been won in their minds. The trophy belonged to USC and all they needed to do was show up and recieve the holy grail. I guess thay beleived they were actually playing for their third BCS trophy....yet history shows the Trophy was won by LSU two years ago. The media tried to elevate USC as possibly the best team ever....not even close. History will show USC played in two natinal championships games in a row over their so-called threepeat run ...their record 1-1.
Did the best team from a talent standpoint win? Maybe not. Much like I have said on the nba thread....talent may get you to the big game or playoffs....but coaching and talent combined win championships. USC may have had one piece on Wed night......but perhaps the other on that night was missing?
Was that a great overall defensive performance by TX? By football definition not even close.
The fact that the so-called best team ever had no answer in stopping one man possibly proves my point on the coaching or lack thereof that night by USC.
TX obviously had a game plan that played to their strength on offense. Look at USC and ask yourself did their gameplan play to their strnegth...especially when they were up in the fourth quarter by double digits?
It was the offensive TX game plan that won the championship. They didn't need to deviate from their plan...Pete Carroll much like a deer is still stuck frozen in the headlights.

puffer24/7

you gotta be kidding, texas shut down reggie, end of story, your telling me his own team shut him down, give me a freaking break, no offense but come on

ruaround

you gotta be kidding, texas shut down reggie, end of story, your telling me his own team shut him down, give me a freaking break, no offense but come on
actually USC did kind of shut down Reggie...he was spread out as a wide receiver ALOT, and White was being used in the back field more... I wouldnt say Reggie was shut down though...89 yds rushing 1 rushing TD and 96 yds receiving...sounds like a decent day at the office to me...

puffer24/7

i hoe your kidding to, thats way below average for him, he is a big 3 threat type of person and had nothing going for him bc once again texas shut him down

darth tang

This is why I hate discussions with youngsters that think they know it all. You are wrong. I will show you why in a simple fashion.
Reggie Bush stats from the game
13 carries
82 yards
6.3 yard per carry average
6 receptions
95 yards
15.8 yards per catch
one touchdown
If allowing a guy to get over 175 yards combined is shutting him down, I know you have no future as a defensive coach at any level of play. Even the peewee leagues.

ruaround

although it is way below his average this is still a good day at the office...there are NFL backs that cant do this...besides to rack up those stats on one of the top defenses in the nation as a decoy is pretty darn good...

ruaround

yup yup...Darth has a solid point!!! oh wait, its the truth... Reggie was not shut down, just not used to the capacity he usually is...

puffer24/7

omg you guys are nuts, he even said in an interview he felt traped all the time and could not perform to his best

puffer24/7

LenDale White had a way better game than reggie, why because texas could not shut him down but could shut reggie down, when a guy admits that he got shutdown, it means he got shut down

puffer24/7

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
This is why I hate discussions with youngsters that think they know it all. You are wrong. I will show you why in a simple fashion.
Reggie Bush stats from the game
13 carries
82 yards
6 receptions
95 yards
15.8 yards per catch
one touchdown
If allowing a guy to get over 175 yards combined is shutting him down, I know you have no future as a defensive coach at any level of play. Even the peewee leagues.
ha youngster, i probably know more about football than you will ever know, and iam not being mean as you were in this quote

ruaround

perhaps his saying he fekt trapped, he was implying the play calling sucked...did you watch the game..did you see where he lined up???
Still, 80+ yards rushing and 90+ yds receiving and a TD is a great day for most!!!

darth tang

Ok let's try this a different way. By concentrating all efforts on Bush to "only" hold him to 175 total yards, they allowed the other back to rush for 121 yards on 20 carries. a 6.2 yard per carry average. They also allowed Lienart to throw for 365 yards.
So the "great" defensive plan allowed the "back up" to rush for over 120 yards on 20 carries and gave up another 365 yards passing......Yeah, that defense is awesome!!!!!!!!!
(There is sarcasm in this post)

darth tang

ha youngster, i probably know more about football than you will ever know, and iam not being mean as you were in this quote
Ok I am game for a challenge...try me.

J

jcrim

13 carries
82 yards
13 carries is nothing for a heisman trophy winner. 6.3 yards per carry is pretty good. Why the hell didn't they run him more, especially when they had the lead for most of the 4th quarter?
If he had 25 carries like he should have, he would have had 157 yards.

puffer24/7

Ok let's try this a different way. By concentrating all efforts on Bush to "only" hold him to 175 total yards, they allowed the other back to rush for 121 yards on 20 carries. a 6.2 yard per carry average. They also allowed Lienart to throw for 365 yards.
So the "great" defensive plan allowed the "back up" to rush for over 120 yards on 20 carries and gave up another 365 yards passing......Yeah, that defense is awesome!!!!!!!!!
(There is sarcasm in this post)
just to let you know, he is not the everyday back up running back, both of them could start in the nfl, hell white had more touchdowns in the regular season than bush, so please dont go there by saying he is a back up, please dont bc you will just get killed in this debate

darth tang

Originally Posted by jcrim
13 carries is nothing for a heisman trophy winner. 6.3 yards per carry is pretty good. Why the hell didn't they run him more, especially when they had the lead for most of the 4th quarter?

That was my thoughts.......