Nike's 34g DSA Neo-Nano

nikesb

the stand i built is much higher than stand that DSA has and the 9.5 should be perfect with a ball valve. I am thinking about a mag7 though. i need to find out the specs of the overflow first. cause a mag 7 at the height i'm at should still be close to a 10x turnover rate. The frame of the stand is completed finally. now to skin it

nikesb

changed my mind to get the mag 7 instead. ordered my bulkheads and some fittings. Got my votech mp10 today as well :] eager to put it in the 10g but i'll just wait

rballjunkie

here are some pictures of my DSA setup, in case you want to borrow some ideas, or have some questiions. I personally would still dial down the pump, to something in the 600 or less gpm range............. best of luck on your build bro.

nikesb

i calculated the headloss after the pipe work i'm doing and its just right under 600 for an extra 6" in height. well done on yours! cant wait to get mine started. I've been thinking about going mh as well. you think a 150w should handle it just fine?

rballjunkie

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3236350
i calculated the headloss after the pipe work i'm doing and its just right under 600 for an extra 6" in height. well done on yours! cant wait to get mine started. I've been thinking about going mh as well. you think a 150w should handle it just fine?
a 250 would be better, and get a 14K bulb with a nice hue to it and you will have complete coverage.
if you are going to run the mag7, i suggest you tee off and run as much as you can off of it. i run my sulfur denitrator feed as well as my TLF reactor
even with doing this, you need to make concessions to be able to throttle back the flow, as the return waterfall tower is finicky on how much it can take, and still maintain cascading.

nikesb

for sure man, i will be probably adding a small gfo reactor as well and will still use a ball valve i just wanted to make sure i had enough flow to match the overflow gph. btw do you know what the gph of the ovrflow is? i noticed you're running the foam blocks but im not running those so i imagine its a little bit a faster flow in my case.
I went to nextwave today and was able to pick up alot of nice frags for cheap. I mean cheap, heres a couple teaser shots of whats gonna come

nikesb

thanks!
rballjunkie, how many lbs of live rock and live sand did you use for your setup. I'm trying to go for a minimalistic look and i dont want to clutter the tank

nikesb

thank you nissan. the frame was waterproofed today with latex paint. got the plywood for the skin cut already. got my shelves. waiting on sand and other stuff.

nissan577

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3237363
thank you nissan. the frame was waterproofed today with latex paint. got the plywood for the skin cut already. got my shelves. waiting on sand and other stuff.
pics
lol bro i just cant wait! if your 10g was like woah! imagine this one!

luvmyreef

I think it's an interesting tank. I'm kind of sick of the traditional looking ones anymore. And like you said, its what you wanted and thats all that matters. Thanks for sharing it with us. And I am loving the coral!!!!!!! I want some of those colors too!!!

nikesb

haha man i got lucky over this past weekend with the nextwave convention in dallas. i got 9 frags total and all of them were under 20 each. for ultra grade corals it wasnt bad at all. though, it did kind of slow me down for this project hahahaha. need to wait an extra week so that i can buy the rest of my stuff.
as for the tank, i know the tall back seems a little weird, but its just one of those things you have to see in person. before i jumped on this i was looking at the same sized tank without the tall back and it just didnt look the same.
heres one of the tanks thats inspiring the way im doing this build