Nissan new 29 bio cube Diary

nissan577

oh ok. well i was thinking about it and ima keep the softies in the 29 just move some. but the main corals will be sps lps and some few softies. and the 24 lps and softies

nissan577

guys i got bad news and good news. bad news is i have a major diatom problem. good news is no more algae!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woohoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got 2 cerith snails yesterday but they arent doing anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2888044
guys i got bad news and good news. bad news is i have a major diatom problem. good news is no more algae!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woohoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got 2 cerith snails yesterday but they arent doing anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel your pain my ceriths just plow everything over and dont seem to do much else.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2888044
Can you take a pic of these ceriths? I have a feeling they aren't actually ceriths... ceriths are small and harmless lol and 2 is far from enough.
a conch will definitely cure any diatoms..

nissan577

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2888442
Can you take a pic of these ceriths? I have a feeling they aren't actually ceriths... ceriths are small and harmless lol and 2 is far from enough.
a conch will definitely cure any diatoms..
i would take a few pics. tomorrow they will go up. and i might get a conch

subielover

Hey buddy. Wanted to give you a piece of advice since you seem to be having algae and/or diatoms. Start mixing your own water. I know you buy it premade, so I thought that it might be what is causing your issues. Just a thought

nissan577

ima try to get one today! the cerith dont work for nothing. thankgod i only got 2. guys something is wrong with my xenias. like 4 stalks are the normal pinkish color except the other ones. they are really dark purple and look all wrinkle (spelling). and i wanna get more Koralia. if i get 2 Knano will that be good with the K1 i have?

nissan577

thanks subie. i took care of the algae problem. but now the diatom is here. for some odd reason. i would make my own salt but it to much work for me. what do i have to do in order to make my own salt? also subie or anyone else can i do a 10 gallon water change? will that help

nissan577

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2889612
Hey buddy. Wanted to give you a piece of advice since you seem to be having algae and/or diatoms. Start mixing your own water. I know you buy it premade, so I thought that it might be what is causing your issues. Just a thought

thanks subie
. i took care of the algae problem. but now the diatom is here. for some odd reason. i would make my own salt but it to much work for me. what do i have to do in order to make my own salt? also subie or anyone else can i do a 10 gallon water change? will that help

subielover

You are fine to do a 10 gallon water change. Just make sure all water is up to temperature. When doing a big one, I usually shut the light off for a bit to reduce the stress on the fish.
To mix your water. Buy a 5 gallon bucket. Buy either ro/di water from the fish store (or you could buy your own ro/di unit, to save money in the long run,) or distilled water. Buy a quality salt, such as Oceanic, Tropic Marin Pro Reef, Reef Crystals, etc. Buy a small pump to mix the water, I think I use a Rio 90 or something like that(it was $10.) Also buy a 25 or 50 watt heater, I prefer the stealth heaters. Add the correct amount of salt to the 5 gallons of water, which is usually about 1/2 cup per gallon. Let it mix for at least 24 hours, and when it is matching temperature, specific gravity, and ph you are good to perform the change.
In the long run, it will save you money. More importantly, you will know what exactly your water is made of