No Sump + No Fuge = Successful Reef

S

salt_hobbi

Hey Viper i made mines from a Pitcher cut it in half and used the bottom half mand the slits and everythjing.

viper_930

Mujtba, I don't know if this has already been mentioned already, I just skimmed through the replies and didn't read the entire thing. You can get a hang-on-back refugium that pumps water from your tank to the fuge then gravity feeds back into the tank. Then if the pump breaks the water won't overflow.

viper_930

Originally posted by salt_hobbi
Hey Viper i made mines from a Pitcher cut it in half and used the bottom half mand the slits and everythjing.

Looks great! Did you drill the bottom of the tank? I want an overflow box like the CPR ones that hang on the back so I don't have to drill the tank.

S

salt_hobbi

My tank is glass so i did not drill i drilled holes behind the overflow box and stuck suction cups in it and its held by suction cups.

mujtba

salt_hobbi, why do u have a overflow box if you dont have a sump or fuge?
i want my tank like yours. what can i do to make it like that?

S

salt_hobbi

Well I have an over flow box for my back pak protein skimmer so it can get all the protein from the surface.

S

salt_hobbi

O and A lot of Power heads help a lot i have one in each corner and middle i have 5. And your gonna nead a powerful filter. Because My Canister is rated for hundred something gallons almost 200 but i got it for very cheap at *************.com around 100

sergeant

phipps
Ausome page, great info. It gave some flashbacks of my High school years while studying electronics. Thanks for the tips.

S

salt_hobbi

A canister filter is basicly sucks water from the tank brings it down to a canister and it well you know cleans it then there is a pump thats its top that pumps it back to the tank. And how much lr do you have?

mujtba

i got 85lbs of LR and 40lbs LS and 50lbs of Playsand. i know I have enuf LR, but u seem to have more than average in urs. I dont know if too much LR hurts or only helps.. what do u think?

S

salt_hobbi

Hmmmm.. Well I guess 85 is good but i would go a little more near 100 because since there is no sump and fuge for bacteria your bacteria grows on the live rocks thats why You would need a lot more. and i Have 35 lb's of live sand, what you have is perfect.

mujtba

thanx.. i guess i will try to get to 100lbs. i know my playsand soon will become LS, so that will help out too.
i bought base rock from some guy on ---- but he conned me.. im tryn to get my money back.. his name is ihaverock. dont get from him..

S

salt_hobbi

lol ok, Cant ---- do something about it...
Well Good Luck with the tank
Keep us updated. And If you can post a pic in the pic section of the forums.

mujtba

ya im tryin to get money back...
salti, do you have your rock against your back glass, or did you put it all evenly on the tank floor?
i have my rocks piled on each other towards the back side, allowing the front 5-6inch open for fish to swim...
it seems your rock is all over the place.. how did u do it?
when i get corals, do they need a more leveled place, or would they fall off my pile of rocks?

S

salt_hobbi

Most of the corals would need level places. My base rocks are against the glass and the rest are piled up, its hard to explain.
Viper heres the overflow box i was talking about well my overflow DIY

viper_930

Oh, I see now, it is a surface skimmer for your bakpak. I made one for my bakpak too out of a plastic water bottle. But I want to make an overflow like the CPR ones that siphon water out of the tank and goes down to a sump for filtration.

ohioreef

Originally posted by Sergeant
phipps
Ausome page, great info. It gave some flashbacks of my High school years while studying electronics. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks!! It's not the best looking page, but I tried to document the best I could how I set mine up in the hopes that it would help someone else out.