Novahobbies' 37g Seahorse Tank Journal

novahobbies

Just a literary update tonight....I still want to place those gorgonia before I break out the camera again.
I've begun to regret not taking more accurate pictures of the tank during the past months. I mentioned before that the camera only captures what the operator wishes, and naturally this operator didn't wish to show off the algae problem. The trouble with that is obvious to me now: I won't be able to photographically document the progress I've made with hair algae battle. However, since I tend to use this thread as my own little seahorse diary, I shall endeavor to describe to you the events that led me down this dark, algae-covered path...and the steps I have taken that will perhaps lead me back out again.
I suspect that nuisance algae starts in a similar fashion for many people: Excess nutrients, not quite enough tank maintenance, that sort of thing. I've written before on what I believe caused my outbreak: An increase in lighting (the new MH kit), but with poor spectral output on what I believe to be sub-par Odyssea bulbs. Lack of proper maintenance on my part was also definitely a causative factor. Increasing the bioload by adding my favorite two fish from the 110g brakdown certainly played a hand in it, but in my opinion, it all comes down to simple maintenance. Sure, I knew the algae was kicking in. I saw the algae back when it was starting....and did little to stop it. I adopted the "I'll get to it when I can" mentality. Human nature, I suppose. It's hard to be motivated to clean a tank when you're tired out at the end of the day.
The hair algae never reached biblical proportions, but when I started to see some bryopsis sprout from a zoa frag I started to worry. When the hair algae down at the bottom was clogging the koralia powerhead, and the Bryopsis had choked out a small but expensive blue zoa colony, I finally went into action. It's been roughly three weeks to a month since I started fighting in earnest, and I'm happy to say that the algae is MOSTLY gone. Mostly, I say, because there is still plenty that I would like to see gone...but it is no longer choking out the zoa colonies and the like. Here's what I have been doing to fight it:

• Water changes. 10 gallons a week, in a system that runs 38 gallons of actual saltwater volume. I hope to reduce this to 5 gallons a week when I switch back to maintenance mode..... 27% is a pretty high number to be doing weekly. That being said, I think that this may be one of the biggest factors in reducing the excess nutrient level. Filter pads get changed every weekend, and rinsed mid-week.

• Blowing off the rocks. I don't know where this crap is coming from, but it's obviously coming from somewhere! I blow off the rocks every other day with the baster, and I get clouds of debris cascading off the column. It's not the foam (as that would float...) but it's most concentrated around my ricordea section and the green star polyps. So, every other day we get a good cloud of dust blown off the rocks to be filtered out.
    Toothbrush scrubbing. With every water change. Gently around the coral, more vigorously elsewhere. I can't easily remove the whole structure, which is certainly a drawback to the foamed rock column design I like so much. Instead I scrub down the areas I can reach with a toothbrush, let the filter remove what it can, and get the rest with the water change siphon.
Now, for the chemical and biological warfare:
API Algaefix for saltwater. Yes, I admit it -- I tried it. And...it works. A little. Not enough to be called a cure-all. But this stuff did affect the regular hair algae. Used according to the directions for 2 weeks, it killed off the heavy hair algae clumps and loosened them to be siphoned off easily. This stuff deals with the symptom only, but it does it's job fairly well for all that.
[*]
Magnesium. Raised to 1600 ppm for 5 days, and the small bryopsis clumps I had literally melted away. Unfortunately, so did my acan frag. I was raising the Mg the same time I bought my new Phoenix bulbs, so I don't know if the Acan went belly up because of the Mg or the light. The large acan colony was added after a water change, and Mg levels were at 1450. It's doing fine.
[*]
Bacteria and vodka dosing. I'm going to try moving this over to a VLN system. For the past two weeks I've been dosing 10 mL of Microbacter7 daily, with carbon source dosing at the same time. I made it part of my nightly ritual while feeding the fish. I'm up to 0.4 mL carbon source (a blend of vodka, white vinegar, and glucose).
Increased to two purigen pillows, changed out every 2 to 4 weeks. I keep a set cleaned and charged, ready to go when I do decide to swap them.
All this work, and I'm happy to say I'm winning the battle. I expect to be doing more or less this same routine for the next month, but with luck I'll be completely hair algae free by that point. The bryopsis treatment seems to have worked completely -- I haven't seen hide nor feathery hair of that stuff since the Mg treatment. Regular hair algae has been beaten back to the bottom of the columns and the back, but I'm afraid if I let up on it now it will just creep back around to where I don't want it. It still likes to gather on the purple frilly gorgonian, too....I have no idea why it's so attracted to that piece more than the other two. I even moved the gorg, and it still pops up. I'm going to try a freshwater soak on that to see if it clears it up.
Ah, well....the Good Fight continues!

novahobbies

In a week or so I'm going to start looking for macroalgaes. Would you believe my LFS doesn't sell any?? They NEVER have any species of caulerpa, and it's even hard to get cheato from them! I sold them a big hunk o' chaeto when I broke my 110g down, and the stuff was gone by the next day. I'm going to look down south a bit.... I'd like to grab some C. mexicana or C. prolifera. I really like C. racemosa, but I worry that it might get too "clingy" around the corals. I'm also considering some red gracilaria or botryocladia if I can find it. You see that back left corner of the tank...it's kind of empty under the filter? I'm keeping my eyes out for a piece of dead branching rock I can put back there and just lean up into the corner....I thought that would look really nice with some macros growing up it....

novahobbies

Another Sunday, another water change. Upped the carbon dosage to 0.6ml daily now. Unfortunately the zoa frag I bought this week looks like some of the polyps are melting; I lowered it down a few inches to see if that will halt the process. Shame, too...it had a green fringe with a candy-apple red center; looks very cool. I moved it down about 4 inches, think I should lower it further?

novahobbies

A picture! Finally!
This is the first LED test. 24 inch tall tank. Pitch black room. And just three...count 'em....THREE 1-watt LEDs. 2 460nm blue, 1 6500K white.

The purple is overstated in the photo, but the light IS definitely more on the purple side. For three watts, it's pretty nice,

novahobbies

you'd have to see it for yourself....the camera was a quick shot, so it overstated the blue.
This is a complete home-brew DIY LED system. The LEDs are knock-offs from china (well, MOST LEDs come from China...), and didn't cost me much. $30.00 for 10 white and 10 blue 1-watt LEDs, $2.50 for 10 5.6 Ohm 1-watt resistors, $10.00 for the heat sink at Lowe's, and a 12v wall-wort from the junk bin. I'm not wiring these up to provide different circuits for white or actinic; I'm just building a simple circuit comprised of 4 strips with 3 LEDs each. When I'm done I'll DIY the light fixture over my 5.5g Eclipse and see if I can get any coral growth with this system. I wish I knew someone with a PAR meter....I'd love to know how much of a PAR hit I'm taking with the aftermarket LEDs.

novahobbies

WISH ME LUCK. I'm going to try and get my flasher wrasse out of the tank tomorrow with the Sunday water change. He looks like he's developed a bacterial infection....he is slightly more rotund around the belly, and his abdominal scales are pale and not laying perfectly flat. He's the only animal looking abnormal right now, so I've got to try. He's a FAST bugger, though. I'm going to try the water jug routine...it worked really well when I was breaking the big tank down.
Getting the hospital tank set up in the morning. He's one of my favorite fish...hope I can treat him!! :-(

novahobbies

LOL Well it didn't JUMP out.....but it was actually very easy to trap. I used one of those crystal-clear plastic containers that mixed greens come in from the grocery store. I placed it so the open end was pressed against the tank glass, then backed it off an inch or so. Squirted some mysis into the container, let it drift to the bottom, and the fish swam RIGHT in. I pressed the opening to the glass, slowly drew it out of the tank while letting most of the water drain back, and voila! Sick fish is now in his QT tank. I've got a sponge in there acting as biological filtration for the time being, but I know that if I'm treating with an antibacterial I'm going to have to do almost daily water changes.

novahobbies

Next time you need to get a damsel out, just call me. Better yet, fly me out and I'll take care of it for ya. ;-)

novahobbies

Ordered a new skimmer for the tank today..... a Tunze nano. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares with the AquaticLife mini skimmer. It's definitely a little larger in terms of how deep it goes in the tank, but I don't think it will be a major problem. I like my AquaticLife, but I'm not completely happy with the quality of skimmate it produced. I'll post some thoughts on it when I get the new unit in.

teresaq

Nice, have you seen the aqua remora minis, wonder how they work, I always liked my aqua remora.
What other filters are you using??
T

novahobbies

LOL Teresa shame on you. Don't you remember a certain mini road trip that involved the Tom Aquatics Rapids Pro filter?? That's still the primary filtration. The "built in protein skimmer" is a useless POS and is really just a marketing gimmick, but the basic construction of the filter is still good. I run 2 sheets of prefilter fiber, Chemipure carbon, two Purigen pillows, and bioballs in the canister part of the filter. Fiber is changed weekly, purigen gets recharged every 2 weeks or so, and I rinse my bioballs every few months. I may have some additional biologic filtration in the little sponge that comes with the aquaclear filter that I use for the ice-probe, but it's probably negligible. That sponge IS a good pod breeder, tho.
Yes, I took a look at the Aqua Remora nano. It's pretty big for a Nano....with the other things on the back of this tank it wasn't going to fit. Also looked at the new Koralia skimmer....it was a close race but I've heard a lot of good from the Tunze model, so it won out. I am curious to see what people say of the new Koralia skimmer when it starts getting sold!
Right now if this pending offer and loan is approved by the bank, we'll be looking at moving in about a month. THAT is gonna be interesting. Good news is we'll be moving this tank into the bedroom, and finally looking at adding a couple of friends for this lonely little girl!

teresaq

Wellllll, I know you had that filter but wasnt sure if you were still using it. and I agree the skimmer in was not very good. lol
T
Will you be moving in the same area???
I might know a place to get a few friend for your girl too. lol

novahobbies

Well if everything works out, we'll be moving to a 3 br townhouse overlooking a lake here in West Boca. The bank is the only thing in the way, and of course the loan still needs to be approved -- we have a preapproval letter but you know even with that things can fall apart. But if the bank approves our offer (short sale) and the loan is in good shape, we'll be able to move in about a month.
We sort of have to.....this house has sold and we have to be out in a month!!!!!

Plan B is if things don't move as quickly as we want, we will rent for 6 months and put stuff in storage. If that happens, I will be seriously thinking about breaking down the seahorse tank and just keeping the coral. (BTW Theresa, if that comes to pass, I may be sending YOU a PM about a horse.) I really hope we can get this place in time....right now our chances are looking at about 80% / 20% chance we get the townhouse. I'm trying very hard not to get too worked up about it just on the off chance something falls through.
On the other hand, if the move DOES happen as planned, then I'll have room in the bedroom for the seahorse tank, more room in the study for the pipefish tank (pending, gathering parts), and best of all....room in the living room for the 110g main tank!! I'm SO glad I saved all my rock.
OK, off to clean the tank. I missed my water change this weekend...I'm such a bad boy.

novahobbies

Yikes. 2 months without pictures. That's just unacceptable. I think a photo shoot is going to be in order when I get home tonight!