Novahobbies' 37g Seahorse Tank Journal

S

shrimpy brains

Hey....what is the "foam" you used to bond the rocks together??
Is that the canned stuff, I think it's called "Great stuff"???

novahobbies

Yup. That's plain old tan-colored Great Stuff. I've used it in other projects to good effect, and the fact that it is stable enough to accept paint is really a bonus (edit: small mist coats of paint; I'm sure it would still dissolve if you tried to lay down one thick coat). Corraline algae also grows pretty well on the foam surface. The entire rock structure is essentially "glued" on to the PVC frame with the Great Stuff foam.
I've actually been thinking about trying to sell these things on local C-list. Everybody who sees them has liked 'em... or at least thats what they tell me.

meowzer

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3184809
I've actually been thinking about trying to sell these things on local C-list. Everybody who sees them has liked 'em... or at least thats what they tell me.

That sounds like a great idea

S

shrimpy brains

http:///forum/post/3184809
Cool, I have a 65g hex and would like more yellow and orange in mine.

S

shrimpy brains

You hid the pvc frame well! Any work in progress pics. of this or any other rock structures you built??

novahobbies

No, I'm afraid not, but I think I'll snap some the next time I build one of these. Which, since I get to set up the 45g after the holidays, will probably be pretty soon. I've done 5 others (two are sitting in my garage), but to be honest none are quite as pretty as this one. This was SOOO much easier than the "live frame" technique I used for my 110g tank, and looks better too. You can still see the pvc on the live frame, but that might have been more my fault..it was part of the learning curve.
So there's been water in the tank for, what? 28 hours? and I'm already planning the CUC and tank mates. I'd LOVE to add a longfin fairy wrasse in this tank. I think a twinspot goby will be in order to help with sandbed maintainance. As for the true CUC, I'm thinking 2 fightng conchs, 3 Nacsarrius snails, 3 Turbans for the glass and 2 Mexican Turbos for the inevitable algae on the rocks. I'd like to keep any hermit crabs out of the tank, but if I have to I'll add a half-dozen blue-legs.
The tank is 37 gallons, and after sand and rock displacement it holds 31.5 gallons including filter. This is for the seahorse experts hiding out there....if I was to do three horses, would it be better to get two females and one male, or vice-versa? I'm sort of see-sawing back and forth between 2 and three horses, but I'd really rather have three if possible.

bender77

I don't know what's best, but I have 2 females (unless the small one suddenly develops a pouch) and 1 male and it seems to be working well for me

S

shrimpy brains

http:///forum/post/3185037
Yes, but I've been looking for a six-fingered man. A Spaniard friend of mine has some business with him....
Ha, You killed my father...prepare to die!

S

shrimpy brains

Well I don't want to keep filling your thread with movie lines, but
As you wish!

novahobbies

Heh, well they're from a great movie, so I'll let it slide. Billy Crystal as "Miracle Max" was a great quick part in that flick too. Besides, there's not much to do while the tank is cycling.
I gotta go out and get a new ammonia kit tomorrow. I'm reading ammonia on this old set, but I don't think I'm getting a clear test. This set is pretty old; I don't usually test for pure NH3 in my 110g, since it is already well established.

novahobbies

NovaTec Ice Probe just came in the mail. I'm busy at work, so what do I do? Why, rip right into the box to play with it, of course!

First impressions: It's bigger than I expected! I think I may have to rethink the aquaclear filter this is going to be mounted in, especially if I want to leave room for a possible 2nd iceprobe.
Too funny. One of my coworkers just walked by my cubicle (yes, I work in a cube farm) and said, "Ice Probe aquarium chiller? What does that do??"

novahobbies

Now is the time to get it -- I saved 20-something bucks 'cause it's on sale for $99.00 online right now. I'll try to post pics of the filter mod when I do this, but I don't know if it'll be this weekend or later. I'd like to use an aquaclear because I want to try and keep the equipment IN the tank as unobtrusive as possible. That's the only bummer about the koralia powerhead, IMO. It's really hard to hide a big black egg.