Novahobbies' 37g Seahorse Tank Journal

novahobbies

Thanks!
Well, almost everything. I have NOT done well with my Acans. :-( I have a few frags left, but the main colonies bit the dust. I'll need to keep working on that.

novahobbies

My WC female has IGBD. She's bloated a little and at the top of the tank.
I have no freakin' make-up water right now, so there's nothing I can do until the store opens tomorrow.
Thankfully my 10g tank is empty, so she'll go in and get her diamox treatment started tomorrow. She was fine on Wednesday, but I didn't pay much attention to the horses yesterday....didn't look for them like I usually do. She's bloated up enough that this looks like day two or so, and she didn't touch the shrimp I waved in front of her.
I'm going to try my best, but....I know the usual outcome when people's horses get IGBD to this stage.

novahobbies

Close call. I shared some diamox with a board member some time ago, and only had 2 tablets left. THANKFULLY I had one refill of 10 tabs....expires in November....so I snagged it. Whew.

flower

Fingers crossed, I hope she pulls thru. Nothing more worrisome than a sick seahorse, when it rains it pours.

novahobbies

Here she is, hanging out in QT with the first 250mg of Diamox mixed up. Poor girl was really pathetic, if she doesn't hitch to anything she just bobs on the surface. She hasn't eaten in at least 2 days, but I doubt I'll be able to get anything in her until her swelling goes down at least a little. I have some live brine I can feed her when she's ready for a snack....I doubt she'll be interested in Mysis soon.
And here's a fun old pic.....remember when I got her? This was May, 2010. Back when she had her cirri:

flower

Even sick she is beautiful...
Looking at the pictures, it's hard to believe it's the same seahorse, she has changed so much. I don't think living in macroalgae is what makes the cirri grow...or my horses would look like leafy sea dragons...Sad that the cirri went away it looks so awesome.

novahobbies

Thanks guys. She's still breathing. That's about all I can do for her. I don't have a small iceprobe (I should!) to chill this tank, but the only thing adding heat to the system is the filter, and I'm keeping my house at 70. The only light she's getting is ambient room light...plenty for her....so no heat from that. I'd feel better if I could drop the temp down to 68 or so....oh well.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/740#post_3493572
Thanks guys. She's still breathing. That's about all I can do for her. I don't have a small iceprobe (I should!) to chill this tank, but the only thing adding heat to the system is the filter, and I'm keeping my house at 70. The only light she's getting is ambient room light...plenty for her....so no heat from that. I'd feel better if I could drop the temp down to 68 or so....oh well.
Could you put a plastic bottle of ice in the filter and just let the water cascade over it...would that help? I sure wish I could do more than just offer stupid suggestions....I so hope she makes it.

novahobbies

That's not a stupid suggestion; if the water was warm I would probably do that. As it is, I just checked the tank temp, and we're at 72 degrees....actually colder than the horse's DT.
She's still alive, but 0 change. And no interest in food yet, either.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/740#post_3493610
That's not a stupid suggestion; if the water was warm I would probably do that. As it is, I just checked the tank temp, and we're at 72 degrees....actually colder than the horse's DT.
She's still alive, but 0 change. And no interest in food yet, either.
{{{{ BIG CYBER HUG}}}} I feel your pain, I'm sitting here reading your post and thinking
Please, please, please little horse...EAT! If you will just eat, I know you will make it.

meowzer

:( Keep in mind the diamox has a tendency to make them lose their appetite......
AT least that's what I was told