Novahobbies' 37g Seahorse Tank Journal

novahobbies

She still didn't eat last night, but she was still breathing this morning. She MIGHT be a teeny bit smaller...but it might be my imagination. I'm going to get some live brine this afternoon. Since she turns her snout up at mysis, I hope that some sea-snickers will help perk her up and at least get her interested in eating. If she does, I'll try gut-loading some LB with diamox to get an internal dose for her.
Poor girl.

novahobbies

No change. Did another WC, added another crushed dissolved tab. No interest in the live brine. Just hitched and breathing.....

novahobbies

Thanks. She's still alive. I don't think she's eating, but I've seen her at least eye and stretch towards a brine shrimp as it swam by. No change in body size though.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/760#post_3494205
Thanks. She's still alive. I don't think she's eating, but I've seen her at least eye and stretch towards a brine shrimp as it swam by. No change in body size though.
Yom Kippur has ended, so it's time to build my sukkah...the best time of the year I think. I just checked in and read your update. How long can a seahorse go without eating? I thought if they didn't eat 2x to 3x a day thay couldn't survive, so she has to be eating something right? Fred has gone back to just sitting around but he eats maybe a tiny bit, nothing like he should. Meowzer sent me the meds she had on hand, it hasn't arrived yet..
I have loved your little wild thing from the first time you posted pictures....so I keep checking back here to see how she is doing....fingers still crossed, and a little prayer too.

novahobbies

She only has a few hours left now. She's just drifting in the current, with no energy to hitch. Her breathing is labored, and I don't expect her to live through the night. Right now I'm just checking on her every few minutes, but there's nothing I can do. I don't have any clove oil, otherwise I'd euthanize her. Kicking myself HARD for not preparing for this...especially since I suspected this was the way it had to end.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/760#post_3494723
She only has a few hours left now. She's just drifting in the current, with no energy to hitch. Her breathing is labored, and I don't expect her to live through the night. Right now I'm just checking on her every few minutes, but there's nothing I can do. I don't have any clove oil, otherwise I'd euthanize her. Kicking myself HARD for not preparing for this...especially since I suspected this was the way it had to end.
I must have tried to post 10 times...I just don't have any words.

novahobbies

Yeah, sorry to have such a lousy report to make. She's still hanging on, but I know she'll be gone by morning. I've said my goodbye's, so to speak. On the other hand, I've had...what...almost three yeas with this little girl, and I hope she enjoyed them.

novahobbies

Just to make it official....she passed away sometime early Monday morning. No surprise I'm sure, but since I use this as a journal of sorts, I thought I should record it.
Part of me (most of me) is devastated. Even though I've kept (and lost) seahorses before, this girl has been my baby. She was a series of firsts for me...first H. erectus, first wild-caught horse, first effort at de-worming, first effort at switching from live foods, etc. Only weirdos like ourselves can really appreciate the joy we feel when, after waving a single frozen shrimp in front of the horse for days, they finally decide to make the jump to frozen. After being in my family for 2 1/2 years, she'll certainly be missed as a true pet.
On the other hand, a very small part of me is more clinical in its observations. 4 horses (PLUS a couple fish!) is a lot for a 37g tank. Weekly water changes and diligence with filtration is the only thing keeping water quality up when you have a bioload like that, and I've already admitted to being occasionally lax. If I was to speak the cold, hard truth......the fact that this tank is now down to three horses and two small fish is probably a GOOD thing. Since she's been out of the tank, I've already seen some general improvement in the overall quality and "look" of the display tank. So, with that said, I will not be adding another horse to this tank.

meowzer

So sorry Rick.......BUT I know what you are saying realistically.....I decided the 28G cube wouldn't work either, which is why I did not try again
WELL...that and the devastation of losing them :(

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/760#post_3494929
Just to make it official....she passed away sometime early Monday morning. No surprise I'm sure, but since I use this as a journal of sorts, I thought I should record it.
Part of me (most of me) is devastated. Even though I've kept (and lost) seahorses before, this girl has been my baby. She was a series of firsts for me...first H. erectus, first wild-caught horse, first effort at de-worming, first effort at switching from live foods, etc. Only weirdos like ourselves can really appreciate the joy we feel when, after waving a single frozen shrimp in front of the horse for days, they finally decide to make the jump to frozen. After being in my family for 2 1/2 years, she'll certainly be missed as a true pet.
On the other hand, a very small part of me is more clinical in its observations. 4 horses (PLUS a couple fish!) is a lot for a 37g tank. Weekly water changes and diligence with filtration is the only thing keeping water quality up when you have a bioload like that, and I've already admitted to being occasionally lax. If I was to speak the cold, hard truth......the fact that this tank is now down to three horses and two small fish is probably a GOOD thing. Since she's been out of the tank, I've already seen some general improvement in the overall quality and "look" of the display tank. So, with that said, I will not be adding another horse to this tank.
I missed this post, although I knew it was coming. That seahorse has been so much a part of you on this site....it hurts me that you lost her. If that little wild thing had gone to anybody else, I'm not so sure she would have gotten this far. You really took good care of her, and got her thru so much. She was a little trooper, and hands down the most beautiful seahorse I have ever laid eyes on. She is immortalized in the painting you have.

novahobbies

Thanks!
You noticed the red monti? I'm going to have to move it. It's in too familiar a position....you know, compared to SOME people's tanks.....

I also see my green zoas are exploding right now, and growing up onto the monti's frag disk. Might need to trim those.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/760#post_3495050
Thanks!
You noticed the red monti? I'm going to have to move it. It's in too familiar a position....you know, compared to SOME people's tanks.....

I also see my green zoas are exploding right now, and growing up onto the monti's frag disk. Might need to trim those.
Why yes I did notice the monti, then went back to the FTS to see what was under it that will soon be in the shade.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows. One thing I learned is it doesn't matter where you put a monti, it will go where IT wants to be.
If yours does anything like mine, it will soon be up front and center directly under the center of the light.
At one point, I had some zoas located just about where you do relative to the monti. I had to move them as the monti grew over them and shaded them out.
Tank looks Great!

novahobbies

Well I wouldn't mind keeping it in that spot...the coral is very happy there and has already grown (it wasn't even to the edge of the frag disk when I bought it a month ago). I may have to do something about that toadstool leather some day, but it's just so happy that I would feel bad trimming it. That coral has been with me from day one of the FIRST 110 tank build, many many moons ago. That tough old thing has been through a lot. But these days, as you can see, it's actually crowding out half of the feeding dish!
Current animals in this tank include two female H. erectus, 1 male, 1 female green mandarin, and 1 royal gramma (who's STILL ALIVE! Have I broken my curse??). Invertebrates include 2 conchs, 3 or 4 Nass snails, 2 turbos, 4 turbans, and probably a half-dozen hermit crabs or so. plus a few micro-brittle and micro-serpent sea stars. I only thought I had one until the last cleaning...I found 5!

novahobbies

I just realized that my Theresa-raised horses just passed their 1-year mark with me last Monday!
BTW I am switching back to the flat pack mysis again. I bought the cubes last time because they were cheaper and easier....but I now remember why I left those in the first place. They're all smooshed. And they're smaller. Gross.