now this guy is devoted... wish i had the money to do this

derrikd

i told the owner of this tank about this thread and he will be answering some of the questons and clearing some stuff up.

cool clown

Originally posted by toddpolish
great setup.
If it were me, I'd put a background on the back of the tank, or paint the back blue. not a fan of the see thru tanks

I like see thru tanks but with the filters hidden on the sides so all you see is reef from both rooms.

sammystingray

Originally posted by derrikd
i told the owner of this tank about this thread and he will be answering some of the questons and clearing some stuff up.

Cool, perhaps he can tell us why all the gear, but not much in the tank? It would be VERY cool if he could take that pic, and throw in some pointers and text telling folks what and where everything is.....but that is probably asking too much. If it is new.....how about long term goals with it??

calvindo

Originally posted by aarone
LOL probably no more money left to buy nice things for the tank
One fully self sufficient Salt water fish tank...8,000 dollars.
Live stock and decorations....still workin on that.
Satisfaction of knowing you dont have to do anything and you spent all that money....priceless

LOL.....

W

weatherson

All right, all right, enough with the speculations! ;) Those photos are of the tank I built and completed about a week ago. Well, not the actual tank, but the rest of it. First of all, thanks to all those with favorable comments. To the rest of you.. please read on. :)
My long-term plan for this tank is for it to be primarily SPS dominant. Not unlike Steve's established and soon to upgrade tank. So no, a skimmer and power heads only would NOT suffice. I've been running a 65 successfully for almost 9 years and this tank donated the rock and corals for the new, glass Oceanic 240. Certainly a minimal amount for this new tank. I also added 180 pounds of dead rock. The front photo posted here was an interim shot prior to aquascaping and the addition of the 180 pounds of rock. So I would agree, in that state the back is more impressive. And perhaps, still is.
:D Here's a shot after aquascaping;

In addition, one looking between the two rock formations down the valley of sand;

Without a doubt, I will be adding more corals. However, this, as some of you so eloquently pointed out, is a financially dependant project. I would love to throw thousands more at it right now but reality sets in. I knew this going in to such an ambitious undertaking. Does it appear that I am "planning challenged"? ;-) While I would love to add info to the following photo, which I repost due to the distorted look of the previously posted, I have covered all this and more on the original thread at Reef Central. Here is the reposted photo;

If you are interested in reading the full thread for the rest of the information regarding the construction of this tank, follow the link below. That thread is more than enough to keep me busy so I will not continue to post here. Thanks for your interest and kind words.

If you have any trouble with the link, do a search for "240 Inwall Construction (Image Intense)" in the Reef Discussion forum.
Regards and Happy Reefing,
weatherson

jugger

hope you dont mind me posting this thread and pics of your setup.... i just thought it was amazing when i saw it...

W

weatherson

Jugger...
No problem--I would just encourage those who are interested and have more questions to ask, to view the entire thread at -- and post there.
weatherson