nYgel's 29 Gallon Reef

nygel

Its not the most fantastic of tanks ever, but give me a few months, I now have a job and 80% of the money goes straight to the tank (im 16)
fish:
Scooter Dragonet
False Perc. Clown
Yellow Watchman Goby
Firefish
Yellow Headed Jawfish (M.I.A.)
Inverts:
3 peppermint shrimps (1 M.I.A.)
Lettuce Nudibranch (m.i.a.)
several various snails
Corals:
Various mushrooms
Zoos
Frogspawn
These pics are kinda old, but whatever, I'll also post some older pics in next post.

nygel

some more older shots,
2 of my scooter from 6 months ago
1 of the rockwork when first put in tank
1 of my 10 gallon in which the tank is partly composed of

gharner

yeah i know what u mean. im also 16 and im trying to get started on a nano reef. this will be my first saltwater tank. im going on monday to get my tank hopefully :cheer: i want an aquapod 24. what tank do u have? im just trying to work enough to have enough money for it all especially when i need to pay for a car ( GAS). and on top of that i wrestle so i practice every day after school so i dont have much time to work. great looking tank though.

nygel

I personally don't know the exact amount of LR, its half what I want though. Yeah, I used to have soccer practice but I sacked that, so now I'm a part-time filmmaker of sorts and a music producer. I work at a freshwater fish distribution place, so i work with fish to buy more fish. thanks all!

yerboy

Originally Posted by nYgel
I personally don't know the exact amount of LR, its half what I want though. Yeah, I used to have soccer practice but I sacked that, so now I'm a part-time filmmaker of sorts and a music producer. I work at a freshwater fish distribution place, so i work with fish to buy more fish. thanks all!
Goos luck with your tank. Its looking nice
thanks for sharing
your Dragonet eats copodes and needs lots of LR to produce enough of them for him to survive. I put one in my 55 gallon with 100 lbs of rock and he starved to death. you may want to see if you can take him to your LFS for store credit because i doubt he will survive in that tank.

nygel

i like to push things with my tank too, for example, I am going to purchase a Mandarin Dragonet in the next few weeks, now before anyone flips out, I'm supplementing pods every so often, thats how the scooter is surviving, but he eats other foods. Also, I want to get atleast a Yellow Clown Goby and a Rusty Clown goby, possibly even a black one.... probably not though, and as for bioload, I have 1 hob filter made for a 50 gal tank, and another filter made for a 100 gal tank (see pic for details.) So yea, my SW experiment has begun. . . even though this started March of last year.

nygel

some updates, added more rock, got my mandarin finally, enjoy (i redo rockwork alot)

qbnfreek

Beautiful tank!! Love the rock work, keep up the great job!! Love to see more pictures in the future. -Qbnfreek Los Angeles, CA

nygel

wow, thanks, I'll take some more pics tonight, alot of the green in the shot is from the glass, can't get it off, also I have the smallest cleanup crew ever, so yea, thanks!

nygel

I found my camera, hurray! This will look significantly different in 2 weeks, dropping $200 or so for more corals and rocks then. (birthday)
Okay, updates on tank. Both dragonets readily accept mysis (mandarin chases it down like a cat.) I purchased a rather large Clown Goby that I'm nursing back to health (its very pale and thin.) I purchased some purple shrooms. In a few pics you might see my awesome big worm. The left side of the tank is compiled of plants that greatly increase the pod population. Any questions that don't involve telling me I'm ignorant for trying dragonets, feel free to ask them.
part 1

nygel

the box says 65w (im assuming PC) but it works like a charm. It came with the tank when I bought it off some guy, its a $95 light that I got for 20, also I got a filter (one of the ones that run under the tank, i forgot the name) that had a pricetag on it for $145 for $25. I got a GREAT deal.

hot883

Very nice. The scooter and the mandarin will be competing for the same food and BOTH may not make it sorry to say. Barry

nygel

I'm well aware of this. I've had scooter for 9 months, mandarin for 3, scooter is really fat, and mandarin is getting there, again, i seed tank with pod bottles as much as I can and have a steady supply; keepin them in check with series of pvc pipes and plants in the tank where teh dragonets can't reach them. thanks for you kindly worded response though, as I've gotten some severally rude responses over teh topic.

pettyhoe

Have you had any trouble with your manderin goby? I was considering buying one but was told not to. What are your experieneces so far?

nygel

My experience is that its something you need to do alot of research on and need to have alot of time, patience, and money to own in a small tank. A good resourch is: http://joshday.com/mandaringoby.htm It's not perfect, but it helps. You NEED to buy PODS alot if it doesn't take to frozen. I suggest waiting a good while before buying one even if you have the decent requirements for it. DON'T TRY