nYgel's 29 Gallon Reef

nygel

(im 17 now) I dabble in gas -- cars. well, my dad does. I mainly stick to this and soccer. anywho. they are doing great. the mandarin is the only one i worry about, the scooter is always good. Most need established, mine our on mainly frozen, which some argue they can't survive off of it, but i see it nutritional and is keeping him fat, so feel it will last.
I'm actually doing something else to it that is ...controversial? probably not nearly as controversial as the dragonets. but they are one of those hot topics in this time of reefkeeping and such. I haven't been around too long but most say that people crying about dragonets is comparable to years ago when people would say don't put a tang in anything under 150G. Beyond keeping my favorite fish, im sorta helping research them. So I feel I'm helping out others. though I wouldnt advise anyone to do this, I haven't had any problems.

tmgpp

im 16 and have started a 12 gal nano cube 8 weeks ago, and just added my 1st corals yesterday. this whole thing is so fun. i also have the proublem you have with not having any money. also my tank only contains tank raised animals.

nygel

So...... I went to the LFS, and they had one of the things I wanted, I thought it wasn't healthy looking, decided to wait a few more weeks for it. So hang tight, my tank will be pretty experimental once that gets in there (no, its not a tang, I'm not cruel)
ANYWAY... here is what I did get, cuz I've never seen one around here and neither have they. I believe its an atlantic fanged blenny (red lip for some sites) Added more rock (I believe I'll be getting a ton of rock real soon... so My tank will be packed.) and yeah. Enjoy.... I'll give an updated stock list too.
FISH:
1 Juvenile True Perc.
1 Watchman Goby
1 Pygmy Cherub Angel
1 Scooter Dragonet
1 Mandarin Dragonet
1 Blenny of some sorts
INVERTS
Porcelien Crab
CUC
CORALS (i need more :( )
Large Frogspawn
Xenia
Toadstool Leather
Many Mushrooms
Ricordeas of a few variety
Green Star Polyps
and of course a ton of marine plants like red kelp and chaeto like stuff.
If anyone wants any pics of certain tank inhabitants, tell me.... Don't want to overpopulated the thread with random pics unless people want them.
p.s. the cherub is impossible to take a pic of... always moving.

oak

Hey how are your drogonetts doing. I just went to ***** today and got a scooter blenny not knowing if it was eating frozen food and it was so if you have any info I should know about the Scooter blenny please tell me. By the way can you post a Pic. of your Blenny of some sorts and your drogonetts. Thanks

triga22

How is your pygmy? I was considering one but I would like to know how he does with corals. Thanks And by the way very nice tank.

nygel

TriGa22 - The pygmy does fine, I've never heard of Cherub's bothering corals. That's one reason I got him instead. Certain other dwarfs will, but not a cherub. great fish w/ great personality
Oak - I posted in your thread. And the mandarin is the hardest thing for me to take a picture of cuz he is never in the right place at the right time. He hangs out in the back and such and in rock crevices... anywho, i just sat by my tank for a few minutes and got probably the only good pic of it ...EVER. I don't know which blenny you meant, so I'll just post some random pics of the HORSEFACE BLENNY (i found the name :) ) and the dragonets.

b0bby1

nygel...wut is your stock list fish wise rite now? i see like ten diff. fish in ther but im sure u only have like 5 of those.
also another question, hows the lettuce nudi doing? i was thinkin about gettin one.

triga22

Ok.
My stock list goes like this Nygel
2 clowns
Pygmy
Yellow watchman
Bicolor Psuedo.
Do you think that will work? You should check my tank out in fish photo section.

nygel

b0bby1 - Hmm... 1 yellow watchman, 1 scooter drag., 1 mandarin drag., 1 true perc, 1 horseface blenny. Their will be some more additions. Nothing to offset the territorial balance of the fish, bioload will be handled as well. As for the nudi, I believe I killed it. I added that HOB filter to break the surface water up more, and think it got sucked up in it :(.
TriGa - I've checked out the thread I believe. And Yes, sounds like a good plan. Psuedo's I've heard to be aggresive (which is why i dont have one) and I personally would get a different goby, mine isn't very cool. I enjoy my Randalli in my 5.5 way more than the watchman. But get a pistol shrimp, it'll make it FAR more interesting.

nygel

I decided to get rid of the mandarin, his mouth was lookin wierd so I have him to a relative. No more mandarin, just scooter... now that thats set straight, lets try something else out of the box... PIPEFISH :); Flow isn't an issue in most of my tank, he has already consumed mysis since purchase. So all is going well for him. Here are various shots of him and other tankmates, plus a full tank shot.
Tell me what you think of the pipefish. His colors are awesome.

b0bby1

do u feed it mysis?
on this website it says live feeder shrimp but i think that would be to big for his mouth. how big is he?

gilly

Your tank looks awesome. Im thinking about getting a simular setup for college next fall. How much matenance does it require?

nygel

I do feed mysis (also some marine algae stuff and krill sometimes, all hikari)
and as for maintance, the standard water change every so often (about once every other week usually, I don't emphasize water changes that much yet.) Its a good setup but the only thing that I don't like about 29g is that they are pretty thin, if they were maybe a little shorter and a little deeper they'd be great. But still an awesome tank. I'm quite glad I got one.

nygel

few notes:
How is the aquascaping? I like it in person, but on picture it looks dull and thrown together.
I tryed to frag frogspawn... don't do this if you have a clown hosting it.... it'll flip out and jump out of the tank over and over again until you put it back :( Stupid clown.
Pipefish now swims everywhere, quite active little guy, plan on getting another as I've heard it increases success rate, also... another clown... pushing bioload, but I may get rid of blenny, he is quite harassing of the others.

triga22

You seem to have alot of fish in the 29. Your bioload must be HUGE. Other than that not I like you rockwork so I wouldnt change it accept add more. I also like the GSP.

nygel

the only one that causes any bioload issues would be the horseface blenny, due to it being large and... a messy blenny. But I'm running two large filters and do water changes at a decent amount, so all stays in check, the blenny may go soon though. another pipefish will be added also, really small bioload addition there, so no prob. and another perc at a later date, but that won't be for months. May have my 54g goin by then. thanks.

nygel

Pipefish is doing well... horseface blenny on the other hand... not so much.. hes not been doing well this week and i turned on the lights and he was laying upside down in my intank fuge. He's currently alive, but dieing, so Instead of him suffering in the tank, I killed it.... hard thing to do, but his eyes were all messed up, stomach sunken in, and just in horrible shape... when you can pick up an active fish, you know its not doing well.... oh well. he was bad for my tank anyway.