Octopus

lmecher

I have 4 childeren and they had always liked my reef tanks but they all love the octopus and get a real kick out of feeding him. My 12 year old daughter had interaction with last octopus. She was able to put her hand in the tank and the octopus grabbed onto her finger. She was a little scared at first when he started pulling. She thought he was trying to pull her in. I had to laugh. She was a trooper though and didn't even flinch. I am hoping to get to that point with Ollie too. He did follow my hand on the glass a few days ago so I will keep trying. It is so rewarding to be able to interact with them.

halamaya

So cool. Almost creepy to watch Ollie stalk around, like he wants to jump out and get you. My Puffer and Trigger liek to interact with me too, but it doesn't feel so good.

lmecher

His movments are graceful and fluid. I understand the creepy, was what I thought the first time I watched him move over the rocks. I have never (not yet anyway) gotten the feeling he wants to get me. He is still pretty scared of me. I'll bet he thinks that I want to jump in and get him. Seriously though I can see him peeking out at me from under the rocks or an eyeball from around the corrner. He is just as curious about me as I am about him.

S

shrimpy brains

Ok, I have tried to resist, but I can't help it!
In the pic in post #22, is that a feeding tube, and Is that where his mouth is?? Seems like it's the wrong side!!

soviettaco

Mouth would be right in the middle

And its not really a mouth either its actually a beak made out of same stuff our finger nails are made of.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by SOVIETTACO
http:///forum/post/3215988
Mouth would be right in the middle

And its not really a mouth either its actually a beak made out of same stuff our finger nails are made of.
Ok, makes sense, but you kind of expect it to be on/near his face. lol
Very interesting!

the_hadleys

AMAZING!! Octopus are my favorite animal - incredibly intelligent and curious. When my hubby told me about this thread I was a little wary - worried the octopus wouldn't have enough space, etc. But you've done a fabulous job. I love Ollie! I can't wait to see him open the jar and interact with you! Whoop!

lmecher

First of all, a big hello to all who follow this thread, I love reading the comments.

I looked back at the photos, yeah I see how it does look wierd. That is just the way he grabbed onto the feeding stick.

His mouth is on the opposite side of his eyes (head) underneath. I have been keeping reef tanks for many years. Octopus keeping has peeked an interest in my husband. I have finally found something he can get interested in and it's cheeper (I am just guessing here) than a therapist for my additcion.
No progress getting the crab out of the bottle. I will keep trying and post Ollie's progress.

lmecher

Originally Posted by Halamaya
http:///forum/post/3215991
I must say he's actually quite cute, I think it's the eight legs. Has he tried to escape at all yet?
I agree, Ollie is a cutie. I fell in love with him when he only had seven. I am happy to report that he has never tried to escape but I have a very seccure cover which makes escape impossible. I also have 2 cats which would make short work of an octopus out for a stroll.

halamaya

I'm not sure what my dogs would make of and Octopus on the floor. Probably too scared to go near it while it was still moving. Looks like he is still doing well. How much does Ollie eat? Any new updates on the jar opening?

lmecher

Our lab is usually with us on fishing trips and I know he wont go near fish, dead or alive. My cats however would play with, mutilate and devour any type of seafood they find.
As you can see in the photo, I positioned the jar without cover near Ollies favorite hangout spot. He is less than an inch from the mouth. The jar is tipped so he can inside with little effort. He looks at it, touches it but hasn't gone after the new fiddler I added.

I have been giving him a chunk of thawed frozen shrimp every night with couple live fiddlers each week. I have never seen he hunt for or catch a crab but always find the remains in the morning.
Still working on the jar

lmecher

Today I decided to visit one of my favorite LFS, they had a nice yellow leather, I bought it. always looking to add color to octopus pile of rocks aquascape. I decided to do some maintenance as I was acclimating. I decided to tip the crab jar a bit more as i was cleaning the glass. I noticed arms wiggling around but payed no attention. I was reaching (the tank is too deep to see clearly when I am in up to my armpit) to clean near the bottom and I felt something grab my hand. Ollie must have been curious or telling me to got out, not sure. He let go almost immediately. Then he retreated in his favorite spot near the crab jar. I saw an arm exploring the rim of the jar. Quick as a flash I dryed my hands and grabbed the camera. I really didn't want to post this video because of the horrible quality but what the heck. It is cloudy from cleaning and you can see my corals floating. Sorry for the ugly music, daughter playing a computer game in the background.

He didn't get the crab, I must have interrupted him. I checked back a little while later and the crab was gone. I was hoping to catch him in the act.

halamaya

I didn't think it looked to bad at all. I wonder if Ollie was angry, seems to be getting more used to you either way though. How big will he get or is he already full grown? I bought a yellow toadstool leather a couple monthes ago. Cost me 30 bucks and its barely the size of a dime all closed up, and maybe a nickel in the day. Really wanted it though.

lmecher

My leather is a couple inches across. It was marked 35, he gave it to me for 30 so I was pleased. I am thinking Ollie is full grown, if he has grown since I have had him, it has not been much. Glad you enjoyed the video, I will continue trying to capture him in action.

lmecher

Haven't seen to much of him lately. Tonight he was out early, around 9. I was able to get a video, it is pretty dark but I will post it anyway.

lmecher

Haven't given up, he just was not interested. I am looking for a different one, maybe he just disliked that particular one. The one video of him w/an arm inside the jar was as close as he ever got to getting the crab.