Octopus

halamaya

i read that they will use coconut shells for shelters. They carry them from one place to another. They considered it to be using a tool. The first to do so. I wonder if he would. So cool.

lmecher

I saw a video on youtube where a wild octopus carried shells around, when he was frightened he climbed insde and covered himself.
Ollie...well I see him infrequently. That is until last night. He was out exploring. I was ablke to grab my camera, here is a few shots.

Feeding time~

back in his den~

dingus890

So cool!!
That is so amazing! Hope this one lives a lot longer for you than your other one. What size tank is he in? He looks huge! Thank you for sharing

lmecher

He is in a 50 gallon tank. His mantle is appx. 2" and arms are appx. 12".
I am hoping he is around for a long time. I am enjoying the time we do have and try not to think about the future. Ollie aka: snuffy is a great pet now if only I could get him to trust me enough to make contact.

If not, that's fine too.

lmecher

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3206864
Nice Pics..he's really neat looking...like the serpent star too :)
The serpent star is always close to Ollie. He is looking for scraps. It is funny, when the star gets too close, Ollie pushes him away with an arm, he sees the star as a maid/pest not as food.

dingus890

Have you ever tried stimulating the octopus with games and such. I know they like to open glass jars with food in it.That would be cool to watcg.
There so cool. I have always wanted one. I'll just live vicariously thru u

lmecher

Last night I was able to snap a photo as my son attempted to feed him. He seemed interested, he was out and moved from one side of the tank to the other. He kept pushing the shrimp away so I guess he wasn't hungry, first time he didn't take a shrimp that was offered.

I am looking for a container to put a fiddler in, we'll see if Ollie wants to play.

browniebuck

can you post a picture of what the top of your aquarium looks like? I am interested to see how you keep him in the tank...just in case my spare 55 that is collecting dust would ever have an octopus friend introduced to it.....oh to dream!!!

lmecher

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3213390
can you post a picture of what the top of your aquarium looks like? I am interested to see how you keep him in the tank...just in case my spare 55 that is collecting dust would ever have an octopus friend introduced to it.....oh to dream!!!
Sure...This is my second go at it, the first one was made of regular plexi glass. It didn't work out too well, it warped and developed gaps, a no no when dealing with an octopus. My new top I am very pleased with, we used lexon, a very thick type plexi. My husband added supports and an access door (wish it was larger) w/screw down lid. It has been on my tank for about 6 weeks and no warping so far.

lmecher

It is very exciting to see him out. The problem is that he is nocturnal and may emerge near midnight. The nights are off except for a red light. I turned on the lights in the room and kept my fingers crossed, sometimes the room lights send him back into his den. I am trying to get him to go after a crab in a bottle. So far he has shown interest by touching the bottle but not much more.
I am going to try tonight with the bottle uncovered. Maybe if I make it a little easier he will go for it.

soviettaco

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/3215274
It is very exciting to see him out. The problem is that he is nocturnal and may emerge near midnight. The nights are off except for a red light. I turned on the lights in the room and kept my fingers crossed, sometimes the room lights send him back into his den. I am trying to get him to go after a crab in a bottle. So far he has shown interest by touching the bottle but not much more.
I am going to try tonight with the bottle uncovered. Maybe if I make it a little easier he will go for it.
I've heard that if you see him out what you do is put the crab inside the jar in front of him and he will watch. then screw on the lid and put it in, he should repeat what you just did but in reverse. Ollie see Ollie do!

S

shrimpy brains

Very nice!
Thanks for all the wonderful pics and the video. Please keep them coming as often as possible and keep us updated as to your progress. Very fascinating!!

lmecher

Someone just informed me that O. briareus are the dumb blonds of the octopus world so it may take him a while

I am going to give it another try in a few moments, I am still hopeful.
I am very happy to get feedback, thanks.

teresaq

Very cool. I was just looking at a site that offered crabs for sale for octos.
I have a 12 yr old daughter that would love one.
T