Odyssea 2006 Model MH Lights

emperor11

Originally Posted by JacknJill
thanks so much, that really helped me out! That aqua place is apparently having a big sale, they are like $20 a bulb! Anyways, thanks again!
Be wary of $20 HQI bulbs. Cheap bulbs are known for exploding. Be very careful. IMO, it is more worthwhile to buy a better, more expensive bulb. Much lesser fire hazard.

hhibrownsb

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Be wary of $20 HQI bulbs. Cheap bulbs are known for exploding. Be very careful. IMO, it is more worthwhile to buy a better, more expensive bulb. Much lesser fire hazard.
I agree but these are Odyssea replacements, They appear to be exact including the printing on the bulb itself as the ones that come with the fixture. Also they are the ONLY 175 HQIs I have been able to find. I would love to find a better brand for the peace of mind that I was getting the best(spare nothing with lighting), BUT I cannot find them anywhere. I have scoured the net and made so many calls that I was forced to take their own replacements. If anybody knows where to find 175HQIs I myself would love to know where. Untill then I guess Ill have to use the manufacturers replacement. If it matters, my corals love them and Ive had them in for several months and no problems.

X

xrobbx03

if anyone does find some nice 175 bulbs for replacement to the odysseas please let me know.

firedog

So far I have not found any other manufacturers that make a 175 HQI.
BTW the traders website also lists a 14000 K bulb too, in addition to the 10 and 20 K.
It appears that for now you only have Odyssea bulbs to use as a replacement. Maybe things will change in the near future.
I would like to know if anyone else found replacement bulbs too.

drewsta

I didn't look to much for replacements yet. But does anyone know if the bulbs that are in there are 10k or 20k I just don't feel like pulling my lights off right now (even though I can guess they are 10k). I put a fan in my sump today and my water temp never went above 82 with lights on and lights off
Thank goodness because when I set this tank up I was getting some serious temp fluctuations. The lights look great however they give off a very blue tint I wish it was a little whiter but oh well not to bad.....

hhibrownsb

Firedog they no longer carry the 14000k(actually 15000k) and Drewsta my system came with 20000k. They are quite blue but i purchased my replacements I got a set of the 10000 k also and they are bright white. I went back to the 20000 as they look allot better.

jacknjill

I have been looking around and i found a bunch of 150 watt and 250 watts HQI bulbs, but i dont think any 175 watts except for those two sites. What happens if you stick a 150 watter in a fixture thats built for a 175 watt bulb?

hhibrownsb

I asked the same question awhile ago and the reply I got was the bulbs could explode. I dont know for sure but thats what i was told. i was thinking of trying it but chickened out.

firedog

I read that you shouldn't use a bulb that is not matched with its ballast. I think the danger was exploding. Saw this in a FAQ on one of the store sites.
And yes you are right they are 15K not 14, bad memory. I checked the sight and they were listed as out of stock, I didn't realize they aren't carrying them anymore.
My unit came with 20K lights for the record. I guess if you wanted less blue you could always try mixing colors right? Say a 10K and a 20 K ?

04mach

Im not pleased with mine at all. First after a week the PCs no longer work (bad ballast?).Second already replaced a moonlight that quit working. Third thier bulbs are JUNK, after a month of use had a bad algea problem. I replaced the bulb and problem fixed. I also couldnt find a 175 so I replaced it with a 150 and no problems yet.

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by 04mach
Im not pleased with mine at all. First after a week the PCs no longer work (bad ballast?).Second already replaced a moonlight that quit working. Third thier bulbs are JUNK, after a month of use had a bad algea problem. I replaced the bulb and problem fixed. I also couldnt find a 175 so I replaced it with a 150 and no problems yet.
is this the brand new 2006 model your are using?

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by francisco5
I was just curious if you have shipped the ballast and endcaps yet ?
thanks
Im going to tomorrow I been busy i havent been able to get to walmart to get the the money. I already have it boxed up and ready to ship. I have some free time tomorrow morning that im going to go take care of it. Sorry for the delay my brother just graduated from college so i been going to award ceremonies and the graduation ceromony itself and plus i been working.

X

xrobbx03

wow i hope that doesnt happen to me i have had mine now for a few weeks with no problems. I have had an algea bloom but that was because of the new lights but its starting to go away. Im thinkin about replacing the actinics with some corallife 65s i can do that right?

jacknjill

hey, i just got my setup today. The ballast is about the size of a lap top amyeb a little bit bigger, but a couple inches thicker. My question is about these HQI bulbs, they are are only like 5 - 5 1/2 inches long. These do have the same effectiveness/power of regular halide bulbs right?

W

winstew

I have had my ODY 2006 model 542 W setup up and running for over a month now and have had no problems whatsoever. The frogspawn, green star polyps, xenia, zoo;s and shrooms all love it and look great under it.
The ballast is very big and heavy but as long as you find the right spot for it it works well. Not loud at all. I have a 72 bow with glass tops and i see about a 2 degree change in temperature over the corse of 24 hours. 399 shipped can't beat it.