Odyssea 2006 Model MH Lights

S

sombra7740

i just got my 542watt light for my 100gal
everything went good setting up...the fan is quiet, balast is quiet. looks like you can add another fan, i think i am going to do that when it starts getting hotter. anyone else add another 3" fan?
little hard to get the plastic cover off to get at the bulbs. the light looks great, glad i went with MH i love the shimmer and i should be able to keep anything i want with 5.4 wpg and for the price $360 shipped, ordered it on sunday, arrived today.
now i need to get some timers
good to hear about the 150/175 bulbs, not looking forward to paying $70 for a 175 when a 150 is $20

W

winstew

Yea I agree... I went with the coralife aqua timer. Works great with the combination of lights that come with that fixture

firedog

Originally Posted by thirdchaos
I would like to clear something up. There is no such thing as a double ended 175 watt MH bulb. Odyssea is misrepresenting their product. If you go to the aquatraders website and look at the picture of the replacement bulb you can see the words 150 watt printed on the box. However, they label it for sale as 175. Any 150 watt bulb should work with this fixture. Personally, I would recommend not purchasing another odyssea bulb when it is time to replace. Try something like a 150 phoenix 14000k or a 150 XM DE

The picture on the website is for representation only. It is not a picture of the actual product. The picture is the same for all the light bulbs, 10k 15 k 20 k. Don't take this to mean there is no such thing as a 175 watt MH.
I talked to a lfs, they stated that 175's are experimental, hard to find, but not impossible.

thirdchaos

I know 175 watt MH bulbs exist, but they are single ended not double ended. Im not going to say that there isnt a double ended 175 in development somewhere because honestly i dont have the resources to comment on that. If you really need the reassurance take the fixture apart and look at the ballast. At this time there is no such thing as a 175 DE lamp.

saltwater8

Hey,
Can you guys tell me what the height of the 48" 542W HM is when its on the legs?
Also, can you put that beast of a ballast in your cabinet?
Thanks!

W

winstew

There are 2 ballasts on the 542. One for the PC which is about the size of an egg carton and the other is about 12Wx12Hx3 tall. I guess you could put it in a cabinet but it does get hot and the vents are on 3 sides so i strayed away from that. The unit does come with a hangins option as well as legs so if you were to go that way height is obviously adjustable

saltwater8

Thanks for the reply.
I would like to put the ballasts in the cabinet....however the heat bothers me....
My canopy is 11" high from the top of the tank - does anyone know how high the HM is with the legs on?
Thanks!

S

slayer

that is a great deal I just ordered these lights today also with a UV sterilizer for $392.59 shipped

saltwater8

Originally Posted by Winstew
You are lookign at 9.5 inches from base of legs to top of light
Yikes!
Thats pretty close to the 11" high canopy.....

W

winstew

YEa the vents are on the side but it still gets pretty hot up above... maybe you can suspend it from your canopy?

I

italianwjt

odyssea sucks go for the aqualight pro...i did. couldnt be happier

marine693

How is your Odyssea MH working? Is it still funtionable? I just bought one the other day, should arrive here by Friday. I bought in on ---- from a seller named: hombby

marine693

Originally Posted by psusocr1
i got one from the same dude and i couldnt be happier wqith mine
I'm glad to hear that! I think that those who bought theirs from aquatraders got ripped off. I hear that everything they sell is refurbished. Oh yeah, how was the packaging for the lights? Did everything come in one piece? Also, can you use 150W HQI bulbs for replacement? Do you have a chiller running in your tank as well? Sorry for the million questions...just curious! I can't wait to get my light on Friday! Right now I have a 265W Coralife PC setup...it's nice, but I really want MH lighting!!!

marine693

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
Whats the deal with - if the bulbs arrive broken, you have to pay for new ones at a "special price"?
:thinking:
Yeah, I was a little worried about that, I guess we will see on Friday! I will let everyone know how my Odyssea 48" 542 MH/PC combo works when I get it!! I'm a little anxious!