Odyssea 2006 Model MH Lights

X

xrobbx03

Has anyone had any experience with their new 2006 line of metal halide lights. I have heard of problems with the older models. Tryin to find out how their new 2006 ones are.

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by Drewsta
I'll let you know on Tuesday xrob when mine come in

really what model did you get?

hhibrownsb

Just a thought before you order, If you go with the 175 watt Odyssea, they have HQI bulbs and are almost impossible to find replacement, then when you find them they can only be found in 10000 and 20000( nothing inbetween). They work great but Id order the 150 or the 250s so you have a choice of replacement bulbs.

psusocr1

i get my on wednsday as well...so ill also let you know.. i DID get the 175 halide/pc combo
but its o.k its only for my fuge!

X

xrobbx03

i didnt see any that had the dual 150s. I have the center brace and the the dual 175s are the only thing i could find

X

xrobbx03

is anybody worried about this light going into flames like the previous stories with older models?

X

xrobbx03

i was kinda skeptical because of some of the stories of them being junk. But they are the newer model so who knows. But the price is right. Let me know how it goes.

drewsta

ok xrobbx03 I got my new lights in today as promised I will tell you what I have learned so far..... I got the setup at 5:45pm go ups (sarcastic) I had other plans for the evening so I started at 8pm which is when my daylight lights go off anywho I put this new fixture on my tank it looks pretty good the ballast is HUGE!!! I am not going to turn on my halides tomorrow becuase of heat reasons i'm still working on that (fans/chiller/etc...) I'm just going to use my actinic which is 192W so my corals and fish should not have a problem. Anyway the casing SUCKS for the lights it was really hard just to unwrap the bulbs in the light fixture I had to disasemble the right side of the fixture to just get to the bulbs other than that no problems so far.

drewsta

The freakin ballast!!! its huge and weighs about 25lbs!!!!! Don't worry about the wires the halides aren't even hooked up yet.. I know it looks like a fire hazard lol

1911_guy

Wow, I'm so confused now. I thought the ballast is what the MH bulbs screwed in to. I wasn't sure if it was a controller for the lights or a chiller. :notsure:
So that ballast is what controls the lights???

toyshika

I've got the same unit. I love it, and yeah the ballast is HUGE. It's quiet though. I have a problem with the unit on top of the tank. I can't close my top, because of the legs. However the unit is great....

firedog

I got the 60" but haven't set it up yet. It is a pain to open like he said. And the ballast weighs more like 70+ lbs. It is heavy. I had a problem with one of the moonlights, turns out the little plug inside was loose. Other than that the test run shows everything working.
Mine is the 2007 model (I think) BTW.
Anyone know where you can find 175 double ended bulbs (other than the manufacturers website)? Email me please. Damn I didn't know that size was so hard to find. Perhaps things will change in the future.

X

xrobbx03

well i now have the 36'' one and so far it seems to be working fine and im happy with it. Like the others said the downside is that the ballast is huge and heavy. But it is very quiet and stays cool. The bulbs seem to be not as bad as i thought also my tank looks awesome under it.