Odyssea 2006 Model MH Lights

maingo

Originally Posted by Dustbunny
Great post FishRule. As an added warning to anyone buying these lights, I just want to point out that this company is selling products that aren't really up to UL standards by any stretch of the imagination. This and Jebo and Odyssea products are constructed in China out of the cheapest humanly manufactured parts. Now, some of you are going to say, "Yeah, well, everything is made in China these days." You'd be right. However, it's made up to spec from very demanding companies. My computer features products almost exclusively made in China, but it features products with viable company backing: Nvidia makes my video card, Creative Labs makes my sound card, GE makes my monitor, Logitech makes my mouse. Just having the comfort of a company name (and a face to sue in the extremely EXTREMELY unlikely event my mouse catches on fire and engulfs my bedroom in flame) and their backing of the product I'm using makes that product worth the extra money. However, Jebo and Odyssea are the Chinese products of 20 years ago. These are the same quality manufactured components that brought us crappy plastic toy soldiers and fake ray guns that busted apart in 20 minutes. Personally, I wouldn't risk the lives of my fish (one hell of an investment as is) my equipment, my tank, my bedroom, and my house to a lighting fixture that MIGHT burst into flames at any given time. If it works...once again...fantastic for you. You've beaten the system and made me look like a moron. However, if it doesn't work (and there's a good chance it won't) try to sue a company who is going to change their name, address, telephone number, and void their warranties in the process...if you're still around to do so.
LOL.... What is it with Americans these days?? What makes you think you have the right to sue a company... any company for your lack of proper use of a product they sell??? If I bought a Computer or light fixture or a --- toy and overloaded a socket then my house caught fire is it the MFG's fault Im a stupid ass???? ---- happens even if something is UL labeled, thats just how products are.

stevenb

I have the same MH. Well were do I start, first light was delivered with lose wires and moon light was out. They replaced light. My light is 4 months old and the cooling fans in ballast stopped working. I opened ballast it was a lose wire. When ballast was open I noticed oil on bottom of ballast. Turns out the capasitors were leaking oil. They replaced capasitors but I had to pay for shipping. If I weren`t handy this could have been costly. Over all I am Happy I guess....

psusocr1

ig uess the reaal point here is you get what you pay for and i couldnt pass it up and i couldnt be happier with my units

michael_t

Thanks everyone for commenting on the Odyssey lights. I have been wanting to upgrade my lights and have started doing research into it.
I have definitely made up my mind.

brucewrs

I just got my odssea lights and love them.48" 542watt ones.I cut a hole in my canopy and it looks great. I might replace the 20000k bulbs to 10000k.They are a little to blue.Here is a video of it.

dustbunny

Originally Posted by Maingo
LOL.... What is it with Americans these days?? What makes you think you have the right to sue a company... any company for your lack of proper use of a product they sell??? If I bought a Computer or light fixture or a --- toy and overloaded a socket then my house caught fire is it the MFG's fault Im a stupid ass???? ---- happens even if something is UL labeled, thats just how products are.
I think as a consumer if you have a set of lights that are used properly and they do catch on fire you should be allowed to sue the company that makes them. If you use them IMPROPERLY than I think you deserve to watch your house burn down. However these fail even when used with all appropriate safety measures are taken. Fact remains, companies like Coralife are liable if they make a product that causes harm. Like if you have a car that catches on fire when you start it, you can sue Ford or Chevy. And you should be able to. But if you roll the car off a cliff and land it on someone's house you can't.

X

xrobbx03

From what i still have read about the lights most of the problems have happened within the first month of operation and that if they run fine after a month then you should be ok. Im in the 6th month of use of mine and all fans are still working and I had the ballast opened up and the fixture to inspect all wires and didnt see any damage.
What im looking to find out is if there have been an incident with the new model halides after a month of use.

cyclops

I have not set my Odyssea lights up yet I have the 72" ones. I finally will get to set them up when I get home thursday and and was wondering what would be the best way to Acclimate the lights to the tank I have no corals (yet) only fish (6) so if any one could give me some suggestions that would be great here is what I had planned
Blues 10pm-9am, MH 8am-2pm then off for 4 the old lights until 10pm
then go up every 3 days with the metal halids. I am hoping to start buying coral in 12 days.
So am I out in left field or what

ahpchagi

I ordered the Odyssea 48in. 2x175 HQL,2x54W actinics, 4x blue moon lights for 298.99 on E-Bay. rockeymountainreef.rip. I received a Jebo 48in. with2x150HQL, 2x54W10000K T5 daylight. To shorten the story I can get full refund if I send back the junk fixture. They Baited And Switched me. No refund on shipping charges (60.00) No Prepaid return shipping. (60.00?) Man this Zooks. :mad:

stsweene

Ive had a problem in the 48" 542W with one of my actinics working for a few days then not turning on, etc.... anyone having the same problem?? any fix ideas?

helbert76

I was going to buy the 36 inch mh Odyssea fixture, could I replace the mh balast with ul listed magnetic ballast or even use an electronic ballast in the unit. Would this be something easily done.

solarscar

Originally Posted by stsweene
Ive had a problem in the 48" 542W with one of my actinics working for a few days then not turning on, etc.... anyone having the same problem?? any fix ideas?
I got the same light as you and yes, one of my actinics flickers a whole lot, did it for a couplle days, but has stopped, hope yours does too.

helbert76

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
Well, I don't think it is Hombby as much as it is Jebo/Odyssea itself.
Lets be serious
, there is a reason their products are half the price of everyone else.
I just got the new 36" odyssea fixture from Hombby, I was asking him about it being 250 HQI Instead of the 175w they use and he said that these are the newest ones and come with an electronic mh HQI ballast rated to 250 Watts not the old magnetic one they came with. So hopefully this may be a much more reliable and safer ballast than the other. I paid a total of 189.95 with free shipping.
His quote "Yes, this is the latest. Same features but the only different is the max ballast output from 175W increase to 250W. Also, it is electronic type not the previous magnetic type. Thank you!"

andyaz

Looks like I'll be getting my Odyssea MH from hombby after reading the comments on here. I'm putting together a new 55g tank and need a 48" light instead of the 36" PC one that I have now. I wanted MH as my BTA has always seemed kind of sad, though it's stayed healthy and even split once already (looks like he might be ready to split again, actually). My green buttons have never been too happy, so hopefully the MH will perk them up a bit. The light I have my eye on is the Odyssea 692w, has 2x250w MH and 2x96 CF. It sounds from the comments here that I want to get the 10000k instead of the 20000k? I'm going to ask him if he substitutes (lists that it comes with 20000k) or if I just need to place a second order somewhere for the 10000k bulbs.

aidden

Originally Posted by helbert76
I just got the new 36" odyssea fixture from Hombby, I was asking him about it being 250 HQI Instead of the 175w they use and he said that these are the newest ones and come with an electronic mh HQI ballast rated to 250 Watts not the old magnetic one they came with. So hopefully this may be a much more reliable and safer ballast than the other. I paid a total of 189.95 with free shipping.
His quote "Yes, this is the latest. Same features but the only different is the max ballast output from 175W increase to 250W. Also, it is electronic type not the previous magnetic type. Thank you!"
helbert i am planning on buying the same lighting from hombby, i was just curious seeing how the lighting fixture is. Is there any way you can take some pics of the lighting fixture and email them to me? I hope everything is ok with it.
Thanks

helbert76

Originally Posted by aidden
helbert i am planning on buying the same lighting from hombby, i was just curious seeing how the lighting fixture is. Is there any way you can take some pics of the lighting fixture and email them to me? I hope everything is ok with it.
Thanks
I will be happy to, havent got it yet, he is shipping it on monday. Will let you know when it gets here.

marine693

Originally Posted by stsweene
I had the same problem...the ballast is broken...I e-mailed the guy and he is sending one to me free (of course)

brucewrs

Originally Posted by Marine693
I had the same problem...the ballast is broken...I e-mailed the guy and he is sending one to me free (of course)
48"542 watt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well mine just died!!! I just e-mail them.Both of my atinics are out.There is a ballast in the light which I think is broken. I have power to the ballast and then nothing. This should be fun switching out ballasts...

brucewrs

Originally Posted by Marine693
Curious who you got it from?I sent 2 e-mails and no reply yet from aqua trader.....