Officially joined the hobby today!!!

gcgrad

Good idea Acrylic. A simple filter on the suction should suffice. I might could use a filter cap, much like what is used for a pressure washer. Hopefully those come in various sizes. Hadn't thought of that so thanks!

acrylic51

I wouldn't use something on the lines of the pre screens for pressure washers...The holes are just to fine, and I could see that clogging way to easy, burning up a pump on you.....If you look at any of the major sites; possibly even here, they make strainers for pumps and bulkheads.....I know they have 3/4" and you could use an adapter 3/4"-1" and use a 1" strainer on the pump.

gcgrad

They do have 3/4" bulkhead strainers. The Mag 5 intake is 3/4", but are you recommending using the adapter for a 1" strainer?

acrylic51

Yep....I believe in flooding the intake of a pump with as much water as possible.....Your bumping the output to an 1" right away I'm assuming, so why not do it on the intake side as well.

gcgrad

Ha. I'm new to this so I wouldn't make too many assumptions. But by bumping the intake to 1" I will be bumping the output to 1". The output is normally 1/2" so if I'm increasing the intake then it makes since to increase the output. Thanks for the advice!

acrylic51

Might be an oversight on my part....I'm old, memory is bad at times, I thought I had read or that you were bumping/increasing the output to 1". Either way I'd still increase both....Better flow.

florida joe

I have a real difficult time visualizing things without detailed drawings but Imo you have to take into consideration that the water level in your sump/refuge must be higher than the height of your tallest baffle that goes to the bottom of the tank. Now to accomplish this you fill your DT to just under your overflows. Add water to your sump to above your return pump. Have more water on hand and start your pump. As your pump drains your sump putting water into your DT you add water to your sump until the water level stabilized above your baffles that go to the bottom of your tank. Now shut your return pump you should now employ some sort of syphon brake and it should stop the water going back into your sump before it overflows IMO you want the chamber which will be your Refuge to be the biggest
FYI Books did you say you read books on the hobby ? what a waste of time. Sorry thats an inside joke

2quills

Currious as to why bump the output of the pump on a Mag 5 up to 1"? You'd be increasing the amount of volume in your return pipe that has to be pushed by 4, seems like it would create more head pressure on the pump. Is that what you're after?

gcgrad

Ha Joe... books... read books? That's preposterous!lol Thanks for the input on the sump, I wasn't quite sure yet how I was going to determine the water level and the preventative measure to disallow the sump to overflow. And I may make the fuge slightly larger in the final build, good suggestion!
And Corey I think Shawn answered it best. He suggested to increase the intake and output on the pump to generate more water volume movement.
Thanks for all the input everybody!

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgrad http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/40#post_3348828
Ha Joe... books... read books? That's preposterous!lol Thanks for the input on the sump, I wasn't quite sure yet how I was going to determine the water level and the preventative measure to disallow the sump to overflow. And I may make the fuge slightly larger in the final build, good suggestion!
And Corey I think Shawn answered it best. He suggested to increase the intake and output on the pump to generate more water volume movement.
Thanks for all the input everybody!
Excellent! It sounds like you've got a really good plan going. I hope you keep us updated. And yeah I was just wondering about the increase on the return plumbing. It had just seemed to me that the 1/2" output on the pump would be a bit of a bottle neck so wasn't sure how much difference it would make on the output or not. I typically haven't seen a ton of 1" returns on a system this size is why I was wonderin. I deffinately like the idea of the larger strainer on there vs the egg crate idea as well.

florida joe

Quote:
He suggested to increase the intake and output on the pump to generate more water volume movement.
Let’s not confuse turnover rate with water motion the amount of water you are returning to your display tank is not as paramount as the movement you have with in your DT via power heads. In fact you may want a slow movement of water through your refuge for longer exposure time
I am a little behind the times on this thread. Your mag pump if getting influent water from where in your DT

florida joe

I would put a prefilter in your overflow box
You can get a perforated plastic pipe that fits into the bulkhead of the overflow box and around that you put a foam collar that is your prefilter it’s a simple and universal method of filtering the water before return pumps I can post pics if you like

acrylic51

I never had the intention of trying to push or increase flow through the filter system....
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/40#post_3348839
Let’s not confuse turnover rate with water motion the amount of water you are returning to your display tank is not as paramount as the movement you have with in your DT via power heads. In fact you may want a slow movement of water through your refuge for longer exposure time
I am a little behind the times on this thread. Your mag pump if getting influent water from where in your DT