Officially joined the hobby today!!!

gcgrad

Using strainers for the drain plumbing is a good idea. Are you saying that I should use a valve to control flow to both the skimmer compartment and a second valve to control flow to the refugium compartment or just one valve that will control flow to both the skimmer and refugium compartments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/60#post_3350779
sorry guys i missed that he is feeding both ends of his refug.
He will need a valve in the vertical pipe going into the left side (as you look at his drawing) of the refuge to slow the flow and allow sufficient water to empty into the right side .
He can also install two fittings into the ends of the two verticals feeding the refuge and screw two strainers into them if he likes
That was what I meant Corey. I knew that water would have a more difficult time flowing up an elbow than a split line. And I probably will use an elbow for the return. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/60#post_3350757
Hmmm...re-reading things, I don't know where I got the idea you wanted to use a Y instead of a T. You actually mentioned using a Y instead of an Elbow...that's probably what threw me off. If you use flexible pipe to run your return then you'll be just fine using an elbow at the top IMO.

acrylic51

I know Lowes carries it not sure about HD. I agree with Corey a pool supply place or a plumbing specialty store will have it for sure.

florida joe

Quote:
Are you saying that I should use a valve to control flow to both the skimmer compartment and a second valve to control flow to the refugium compartment or just one valve that will control flow to both the skimmer and refugium compartments?
If you look at your drawing, you have a valve on the horizontal PVC pipe. This valve does nothing to increase the flow into your refuge. Water seeking the path of least resistance will drop into your sump and you will get very little if any water flow into your refuge IMO. Again in my opinion you must put a valve on the vertical that feeds right into your sump. This valve will allow you to slow this feed to the point where you will be getting water flow to your sump. I would also angle down the horizontal PVC DT to refuge to further add in water flow to the refuge.

acrylic51

Agree with Florida Joe!!!!! The valve has to be put on the vertical line to be able to control flow to the Fuge..... The idea of putting the horizontal line at a slight angle is a good idea as well. Doesn't have to be a drastic angle. General rule of thumb is 1" of slope for every 10' of horizontal run of pipe. So doesn't have to be extreme...

gcgrad

You guys are full of awesome ideas! I need to start the construction before ya'll lose interest. The baffles should be cut and ready for pick up Friday. I already have the 100% silicone. I guess once the baffles are in the next build will be the stand itself. Then once the stand is built and I get the 55 gallon I will drill the 55 and attach the overflow. Then I'll be ready to start rigging the plumbing. Any suggestions for the stand? The dimensions will be something close to 60"x20"x30" (subject to change). The length is to house the QT and sump, the width is more than enough for a 55, but gives me room for a tank upgrade in the future (not near future though), and the height is to give myself more than enough room to easily access the QT and sump with headroom for lights, plumbing, etc. Thoughts please!

florida joe

Sounds good do not leave your electrical layout on the back burner. Be sure to include a panel inside your stand to mount your electrical boxes. I also like removable panels on the sides you can never have enough access

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgrad http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/80#post_3351513
You guys are full of awesome ideas! I need to start the construction before ya'll lose interest. The baffles should be cut and ready for pick up Friday. I already have the 100% silicone. I guess once the baffles are in the next build will be the stand itself. Then once the stand is built and I get the 55 gallon I will drill the 55 and attach the overflow. Then I'll be ready to start rigging the plumbing. Any suggestions for the stand? The dimensions will be something close to 60"x20"x30" (subject to change). The length is to house the QT and sump, the width is more than enough for a 55, but gives me room for a tank upgrade in the future (not near future though), and the height is to give myself more than enough room to easily access the QT and sump with headroom for lights, plumbing, etc. Thoughts please!
Do yourself a favor before you actually purchase the tank and make sure the whole tank isn't made of tempered glass. There are some manufacturers that are starting to make the tanks with all tempered material. My old 55G that sprung a leak a few months back was completely tempered (top fin brand). I have an All Glass brand 55g tank that's only tempered on the bottom so the back is fine to drill. Just a heads up. Look for the sticker on the bottom of the tank.
Here's the 55G that leaked...

Here's my other 55G...kinda hard to read but it says "this bottom is tempered glass for streangth and reliability, do not drill".

One piece of advise I can offer you on the stand is to make it fairly tall. Give yourself some room inside for a skimmer...most skimmers for a set up this size run from like 22-24 inches or so so leave your self a little head room to be able to install it. The stand that I'm working on is 40" tall because I like to be able to look at my tank without having to lean over. I've got plenty of room for just about any size skimmer I want in there for size of system I'll be using. Just my 02.

gcgrad

The skimmer I'm about to order is 19.75" tall. I'm getting my sisters 55 gal but she doesn't know the manufacturer. She bought it from Wal-Mart around 7 years ago, so I really don't know if it's tempered glass. I was hoping when I checked it out it would say on the bottom or something. But that's a good idea to make the tank taller.

2quills

Yeah just look for a sticker on the bottom somewhere. 7 year old tank, odds are if there is tempered glass on it then it will only be the bottom. If you don't see a sticker or evidence that there ever was one then it's probably all plate glass (safe to drill). If not, and I hate to say it but I think ***** is doing there $1 dollar a gallon sale again right now. Can pick up a new 55G for $55. Not sure if the sale is still going, I think it is but I'll have to check their site.

gcgrad

Made a few purchases. Bought the Mag 5 pump, Super Reef Octupus protein skimmer, Koralia Evolution 1050 gph x 2 powerheads, K.E. 550 powerhead, and API Saltwater Master Test Kit. Just thought I would share!!!

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/80#post_3351570
Yeah just look for a sticker on the bottom somewhere. 7 year old tank, odds are if there is tempered glass on it then it will only be the bottom. If you don't see a sticker or evidence that there ever was one then it's probably all plate glass (safe to drill). If not, and I hate to say it but I think ***** is doing there $1 dollar a gallon sale again right now. Can pick up a new 55G for $55. Not sure if the sale is still going, I think it is but I'll have to check their site.
I have one of the 55 gal tanks from ***** (its brand new) bought it and was going to set it up but decided to go with the 75 gal. The 55 gal tanks from ***** the glass on the is all tempered all 4 sided and the bottom so you are not going to want to drill it... LOL HTH

gcgrad

I thought about getting the 55 gal from there but decided to just use my sis's 55 gal Scott. I still haven't gotten it from her but she purchased it from walmart 7-8 years ago which may have been before they started building them with all tempered sides. Hopefully the manufacturer will be on there somewhere but if not then I have a decision to make on drilling.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgrad http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/80#post_3352507
I thought about getting the 55 gal from there but decided to just use my sis's 55 gal Scott. I still haven't gotten it from her but she purchased it from walmart 7-8 years ago which may have been before they started building them with all tempered sides. Hopefully the manufacturer will be on there somewhere but if not then I have a decision to make on drilling.
Yes I would def make sure that it is not tempered if it is you sure will have a mess. Have you considered going with a 75 gal tank? I decided on going with it because of the fact that it is wider and will make a much better looking aquascape and all around it is a much better looking tank for a reef.. I may at some point set the 55 up for something but I am much happier that I got the 75 gal to start with.. It is just something to think about and they are not that expensive either.

gcgrad

Yes I would def make sure that it is not tempered if it is you sure will have a mess. Have you considered going with a 75 gal tank? I decided on going with it because of the fact that it is wider and will make a much better looking aquascape and all around it is a much better looking tank for a reef.. I may at some point set the 55 up for something but I am much happier that I got the 75 gal to start with.. It is just something to think about and they are not that expensive either.
A 75 gal would be nice Scott, but I think I'm gonna go with the 55. I think I will be more than pleased with it seeing as how it will be my first aquarium. I'm focusing alot on the sump build, plumbing, stand, and equipment list. All the supplies I'm getting will work fine for the 75, however I think when I upgrade a tank (which would be several years from now) I would go with atleast 90 gal and possibly more. I'm building the stand to dimensions which will allow for such an upgrade.

scott t

As long as you are happy with what you are setting up that is all that counts. It was just a suggestion, I got my 55 gal and thought that I would be happy with that. I changed my mind when i went looking at different size tanks. I would have went bigger but I think that I want to start with a smaller tank get that going and know that I can keep it successfully then upgrade to a larger tank.. So I totally understand where you are coming from.. I am just waiting for my brother to come and help me drill the tank which should be tomorrow and then my step father to come and do the electric for the new outlets that I want put in on there own circuit so I know it will not be overloaded then I will be ready to set up the tank once that is done...

gcgrad

Alright, once again after making some purchases you instantly start thinking about your next ones.lol I have spent this weekend extensively reading about lighting. I have come to the consensus that LED is the cutting edge technology of aquarium lighting. It is energy efficient, no bulb replacement, less heat output, lasts a very long time, and also looks amazing! So with that in mind, I convinced myself that I would have LED lighting. What also factored into that decision making was that I would like to have a reef setup for my 55 gallon. After looking into the few LED lighting fixtures I realized how expensive it was, especially with it being rather new technology.
The high price didn't really discourage me as I see it being a great investment by not having to replace bulbs every 9 months or so. However, I have a few options as to what to do and I would like to hear ya'lls thoughts. If I am correct a saltwater system needs to be up and running for 8 months or so before introducing any corals or what not. With that in mind, I don't think I would like to invest in a LED fixture to light rock and a few fish for that long. But I am all ears for suggestions so here are some options I have com up with.
1. I could buy something like T5 HO fixture with 4 bulbs to light my system until my aquarium is reef ready (corals can be introduced). In that meantime I could purchase LED supplies and start a DIY project to make my own LED fixture which I have seen to be somewhere around $600-700. I would have to extensively research about the electrical wiring as I am not familiar with doing so.
2. Go with the T5 HO with 4 bulbs as stated above and buy a LED fixture after the tank has been up for 8 months. I would be banking on the prices of these LED fixtures coming down significantly as well as more improved fixtures hitting the market. As of right now there aren't many LED fixtures for tanks of significant size. Even my 55 gallon would require 2 Ecoxotic LED fixtures which come in 17.5" and 23" lengths. This option seems rather good as of now considering I've only read a couple DIY threads, so not feeling real confident in making my own as of now.
3. Go ahead and buy maybe one LED fixture which would be atleast $600. Place this fixture over the center of my tank and use other methods or low cost bulbs to focus light on the corners of the tank. Forking out $1200 for 2 fixtures right now is not an option I'm really excited about.
Those are just the first few options that come to mind. I'm sure ya'll will have other suggestions or modifications that I haven't thought of yet. I don't think I will invest in MH especially if I'm going to invest in LED fixture. Right now I'm leaning toward a low-cost, efficient temporary lighting fixture that will satisfy my lighting needs until the aquarium is reef ready. Hoping that these LED fixtures will come down in price as well as newer fixtures with more additives hitting the market within the next 10 months. I know this is a long post but I've been thinking about this all weekend so thank you for taking the time to read! Thoughts are welcomed!!!

E

eric b 125

i dont think that you should waste money on a decent fixture if youre not going to put corals in your tank until you have LEDs. if LED's are the direction you are heading, then why waste $ on a fixture that youre not going to "use". i say just get a NO florescent fixture and start doing the LED thing in the meantime- especially if youre not planning on putting any corals into the tank. given, you probably wont get much coralline growth (at least I didnt under NO lighting). you can get a cheap two bulb fixture and put an actinic in and you will still see great color in your fish.

gcgrad

Yea Eric, I probably will go with some normal output bulbs, maybe throw in an actinic and use that for several months. Buying something more expensive just doesn't make sense when I plan on replacing it with LEDs anyway. I may go with a NO T12 fluorescent fixture, I'll have to search around for those. Should be able to get them fairly cheap too.