OK, Lets hear the crazy combinations...

vanquish

Originally Posted by reeffreak9
Hey Vanquish, sorry i'm not really looking for a chocolate chip star. I really would like to set up a new tank for a morray. Would you say thier easy to keep? (aside from yours eating his tankmates)
Very easy actually. The one i had i actually bought as brackish originally and kept with African cichlids, but i got tired of those and switched to salt. I just removed the fish but left the moray in the tank, which i slowly added salt to for about a month until it reached that of seawater. He made the transition without a hitch. I fed him headless raw medium shrimp that you get at the grocery store. I just removed the shell before giving it to him, and he usually swallowed the whole thing! Feeding him dead food kept him less aggressive. I dont think he ever actually became aggressive though, i just think i maybe should have fed him more often, and the tank was kind of small so the fish were always up in his face... Only a matter of time before he sampled the buffet haha. But yea, he was easy to keep. You should be able to keep one peacefully with fish if the tank is large enough, and you feed him well. Good luck!

beavis4040

I don't think I do any too 'wrong', but I am putting a small hippo tang in my 75g...and I don't usually use Ro water, actually I have only once, but it did seem to work better. I also will be getting a mandarin soon I think, but I do have about 100lbs of LR, and a 30g sump/fuge going in in about a week or so. I don't do regular water changes, but I do do them, maybe 1 every 2 weeks or so.

beavis4040

Oh yeah, and I really want a puffer really really bad!!! and almost bought a blue spotted Toby to put in...and think I may someday just doing it and pray he don't eat my shrimp and snails and crabs!

floridabob

75 gal tank set up six months ( iknow too fast)
4 clarki clowns
2 tomato clowns
2 maroon clowns
2 missbar pecula clowns
(i love clowns hehehe)
3 bangaii cardinals
2 orchid dottybacks
1 neon dottybacks
1 black with blue face dottyback (if anybody could tell me what it is )

3 frogspawn got hitchhicking on live rock
1 sally lightfoot
1 coral banded shrimp
4 lettuce nudibranch
5 red footed hermits and 3 emerald crabs

sagxman

Wow, what a cool thread with no flaming so far. I agree with some here, if you can make something work, then great, but I would not give advice on a controversial topic that might steer someone into disaster.
I don't have any major fauxpas to reveal, but I will mention my old roommate who had about 6 or 7 fish in a 10gal. Of those included a very large black damsel (about 3inch.), a one eyed, dwarf lion (that surprisingly did very well), and a yellow tang.
I don't know how he did it, but it worked for him.

milomlo

I have so not wanted to tell the truth on all my threads for fear. I am so happy no one is getting flamed. I am very much enjoying this thread, so far I have found this thread to be very educational. I am so glad to hear others are trying things. I agree how else do we learn new things if we don't try.
I have a 29 gallon -
2 clowns
2 GBTA
2 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
1 firefish
1 banggi cardinal
1 tail spot blenny
20 nass snails
2 turbo snails
2 emerald crabs
serpent star
zebra hermits
blue hermits
red hermits
(to many hermits to count)
bubble coral
pulsing xenia
favia
hairy mushroom
sun coral
red shrooms
zoos
frogspawn
probably some other things I have forgotten as well.
I guess I will add that my tank has been up since October 2005, it cycled in only 7 days (YES 7 DAYS) I used established live rock - 30 lbs dry sand, 15lbs base rock, and 15 lbs of established LR.
I have a Penguin 350 biowheel filter, CPR BakPak skimmer
I do have a 100 gallon in the works that I just finished the plumbing on last night

morales67

i was 11 whn i set up my first guppy and neon tetra tank
we had bout a house in cali and i found a 2 gal hex in the attic
i went to walmart and bout the fish, put them in without cycle and they lived for a long time(except the guupy babies wich were eaten)
any ways, about a year later i loved fish and discovrd salt water fish my parents told me they were too expensive and told me i couldnt by a salt tank
later i went to a garage sale and found a still-in-box 2 gal hex(like the one i currently had) and bought it for 25c
took it home, set it up, walked to petsmart alone with 20 dollars(only 10 mins away), to buy more fish(i was so confident about keeping mine alive,lol)nothing interesting until i saw the salt mixes in an isle, iwalk out of the store with 2 ballons of salt, run home, put some in and waited
soon im at ***** buying 4 damsels(they dont even ask wat size tank i had) and walk out
over-all the last damsel lived for a week

S

sinner's girl

I use my tank as an excuse to the parentals to have my girlfriend up to my room.
I'm telling your parents!!!
If we're all coming clean...I've never qt'd a fish. I don't have a refractormeter, I use a plastic swing arm. (I do want a refractormeter though).
water changes....ummm...I do now, since I have the time, but for the most part water changes were done once every 3 months, and not with aged salt water, I'd mixed the salt, and add it to the tank. (of course wc stressed out my poor fishes). I had school, grad school and working close to full time took up all my time, however, I didn't have any fish for two years, just a star...not much to produce nitrates.
I had a yellow tang in a 55gl, poor little guy didn't make it long.
I've never owned or used a skimmer, I have 55gl (which is now fw) and 75gl. HOWEVER, I always kept a low bio load.
Sinner had an annomie in a 20 long, not established, not much lr, and regular lights, who did great! (untill his mom killed it).

omgsaltwat

I have about 20 neons in 15gal, I have a emp 400 on it and change one cart every other month. all levels are great but the trates or about 40 did a water change and back to 15 so guess its ok have had the fish for a year, not all of they they had lots of little fish I have gave alot of them away but I Still have 20 and two are about to have more.
Anyone wat some?

vanquish

Originally Posted by Sinner's Girl
If we're all coming clean...I've never qt'd a fish. I don't have a refractormeter, I use a plastic swing arm. (I do want a refractormeter though).
I am exactly the same way! ***)

pyro

I just realized one today after scheduling at PSU...
I haven't mentioned to my parents the 5g I'mt aking up there is going to be saltwater

kaytiiie

I have a porcupine puffer, Lucifer II, and a snowflake eel, Rasputin, and two yellow tailed damsels, Indigo and Violet, all in a 29 gallon tank. Everyone told me it wouldn't work. It's working, and everyone is happy as can be.

ophiura

So what is the time frame here? and what are people using as a "it works" guage?
Because people's impressions of what works may not be what is best for the fish. Several fish should, for example, outgrow
some of the tanks described. Is there no concern? I am concerned, personally, when my fish do not show "instinctive" behavior because behavior will change as stress increases.
My only beef with this sort of thing is that there is a "na na" attitude. I understand that people often ram stuff down others throats a la "tang police" etc (which annoys me too) but I am equally put off by the
attitude that I often hear in these sorts of situations.
I went loads of years with using tap water, no water changes, small tank, UG filter, etc, etc. And in looking back the health of my animals was not really great. But I guess i worked
So what are you using to judge what is working? But I will come here and share that learned experience.
I don't care too much about these issues so long as you understand limitations and don't tell everyone that yeah, such and such is the easiest thing to do and give out what could be potentially risky advice. IMO, being on the conservative side is a better way to go. Is your mandarin fine in your 10g? Is it possibly it is simply a lucky fish...because not all will take, for example, prepared food. Do you tell people in a thread "yeah, a mandarin will be fine in that tank" or do you say "mine has been fine for such and such a time, but I don't have too many fish, or it eats mysis" or some other clarification?
What is wrong with erring on the side of caution?
Why is it so great to not do water changes? Logically, that doesn't work for me.
You want to use tap water? Cool. But if you have an algae problem, be open to the suggestion to change. I used tap water for ages. It worked in one place...it was a disaster in another. Using RO is a blank slate, whereever you are in the country. It is a good cautious suggestion, that's all. You don't want to do it, fine.
But this is a far reaching message board, not just limited to your tank in your home. That is something we need to consider when giving advice, IMO
So do what you want with your tank. If you are fine with certain issues, so be it. Be firm in your opinions, but polite, and be confident. But consider when giving advice, to give clarifications/caution/whatever toward what the general consensus may be, IMO. Because it is true, people rarely come on and say "it didn't work." Ask yourself if you are giving someone the impression that this is just fine to do. Ask yourself, have I really done this long enough to claim success (eg certain seastars will take over a year to die...it is not "fine" if you only had it 3 months).
Just a few things to think about, IMO
Not meant to offend... or disrupt conversation
Just a thread that made me :notsure:
BTW, in that 10g tank with the UV, freshwater gravel, NO strip light I had a condi, 4 fish, a brittlestar, and an arrow crab. Most of which did not survive. I didn't know any better.
And I think people are here because they are passionate about sharing, that's all.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Murph
These are naturally short lived fish and most often can only be obtained as adults which may be a factor in the overwhelming "you cant keep em" attitude. But mine has been with me for months and eats every kind of frozen fair I offer his tank mates. I will inform him today that he should also be dead and that I am a horrible person for ever having purchased him

Hey Murph, just wondering if you have a reference on the cleaner wrasse mortality rates?
I have read that their naturaly lifespan is unknown. In tanks around 4 years or so.
However, I personally do not feel that the fact that many are adults explains why so few survive. I see so many in LFS just dying nearly on the spot. Something just doesn't add up right there. It is possible, for sure, but it doesn't seem right.
FWIW, I do not feel these fish should be kept. Yes, in part due to their survival rates, and secondly due to their critical role in the wild.
But regardless, it doesn't make you a horrible person for keeping them, and it doesn't make me a horrible person for saying people shouldn't either.
I would hope people come to these boards to get a broad array of opinions and that it is not "very bad for the hobby."
It is sharing a passion
on either side of the issue.

ophiura

I wrote a bunch and deleted it.
Just remember, it can be equally annoying to hear this
na na attitude as it is to hear the tang police types. People here come to share a passion, lessons learned, opinions, and that - however emphatic they are - is NOT bad, IMO, for this hobby.
If you are confident in your beliefs, then be polite, share your reasoning and be open to the exchange. Ask yourself what impression you are giving to new folks. Are you giving the impression that you have done research and want to try? Or are you giving the impression that you don't care, or haven't bothered to look and what works for you will work for them. There is a difference, IMO. There is nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.
My first tank? 10g, 4 fish, tap water, UG filter, freshwater gravel, a condi anemone, NO lights, brittlestar, arrow crab. Most of those animals died an unfortunate death. I am not proud of doing that...though I had no problems with tap water (did when I used it in Texas, however). I do not measure the fact that they were there a few weeks or months as a success. How are people gauging this?
Dang. I'm off on writing too much again
I feel passionate about this, but saying differently would probably be considered flaming or something. Do what you want. Be open to listening. Be open to sharing. But know the limits either way.

S

sinner's girl

good point, ophiura
I never qt because 1, I trust the source of my fish, and 2, I didn't even know I needed to till this board. If I had a tank full of fish, then I'm sure I would qt. I use the swing arm, because it's more reliable than that stupid hydrometer that I thought was supossed to be better. AND, I've used a refratormeter so I know how much the swing arm is off.
The yellow in my 55gl was because the guy at the fish store, who we knew and trusted, said I could. I had a 20, and he said I couldn't have the tang in the 20. I didn't buy the 55gl tank from him (got it at walmart) so he wasn't making money off the deal so I thought he could be trusted, plus he had his own tanks...
Many 'mistakes' were from lack of knoweldge or reading outdate books (sinner had some from when he was younger...ugf and crush coral), and lfs owners telling us stuff.
I've removed all the cc, and will add sand soon.
I also know better than to go reef or to keep anything that's not a 4-5 (hardy).
We live, we learn.

milomlo

I do not believe that the point of this thread to was tell anyone what they can or can not do. No one has suggested that anyone do what they personally are doing. Everyone has been nice. WE are all just stating things we have done or things we are doing. NO ONE has given anyone advice and no one has told anyone that "this is the way it should be done".
We are just hearing what others have done and being honest about it. I think this thread is very important. I am glad everyone is "coming clean" so to speak about things they have done. It is nice to know that not everyone is perfect in keeping their tank.
Just my 2 cents

ophiura

Certainly no problem with people sharing...I can top many of you.

One day, I went to the store, and decided I would set up a 10g saltwater tank. I didn't understand anything about anything. The "evil" store sold me 4 fish, a brittlestar, a condi anemone....yup, I might have had water in the tank a day if that.
Acclimation? Nah....what's that? The brittlestar died almost instantly.
Cycling? No way, I've kept freshwater tanks for years. No big deal. I was fine. Never tested a thing.
For a good part of 5 years I never tested the water, nor did I do frequent water changes. I didn't add fancy chemicals (nor do I really do that now). My big learning curve and period of enlightenment only came about 5 years ago.
I mean for 10 years I used a swing arm hydrometer....the same one, BTW, and I didn't clean it for like 7 years. When I did, I realized the salinity was over 40ppt, and when I bought a refractometer I realized that the specific gravity was off at least .002.
Sometimes I turned the lights on, sometimes I left them on for days, sometimes I left them off for days. I doubt I changed the bulb in 5 years.
Live rock????? What???
I used pretty rocks I found around...mostly limestone at least.
Most of the animals died real fast, in a couple of months, but I had a damsel that survived a long time. Actually, I was going on a trip so I decided I would take the anemone and arrow crab to a friends tank and threw 'em in. The crab was attacked and killed. The anemone I think died sometime later.
Sometimes I topped off the tank, ya know, when about an inch of water or so was missing.
I have never QTd a fish for my personal "use" but then I only have 2 fish. They were always QTd when I worked at an aquarium. QT, IMO, is a matter of choice and there are pros and cons to them.
As stated I used Tap water for most of my time keeping tanks. In Virginia it was fine, in Texas it was a disaster.
My tank is pure hand me down, DIY, duct tape and a prayer. I don't tell people it can't be done without several thousand. You can do a lot with little, so long as you know your limits.
So as you can see, I am way far from perfect. I am not proud of it, and it is NOT the way to go

The important thing, and why I posted above, is to not stop the converstation...but realize that people do read these threads and even if you are not telling people to do such and such, they may think it is fine because you got away with it. And the
toward people saying to not do such and such but I kept it and they are wrong (an impression I get sometimes - not necessarily this thread). There is letting people know that no one is perfect, which I agree is a very valuable message. I'm defintiely not perfect, and if I can prevent someone from making the same mistakes, then I will try and do that.