OK some suggestions and questions LOL

zackp00

I have had my tank going now for about a year and I haven't added nothing to my water except my salt and have been doing alot of reading on dosing with kalk and so I went and got me some Mrs Wages and mixed some up been settin for a few hours now.
Suggestions to dose or not??? I have a 120 and plan on dripping so how many drips per min or how to judge that??
Questions What will this do???
What all does it help etc???
How many of you do it???

meowzer

YIKES...you need to read up on this....do a search on it....I believe you have to dose VERY carefully as a drip.....
I thought about it once, and decided not to.....because of the preciseness required

windlasher

Originally Posted by zackp00
http:///forum/post/3146925
I have had my tank going now for about a year and I haven't added nothing to my water except my salt and have been doing alot of reading on dosing with kalk and so I went and got me some Mrs Wages and mixed some up been settin for a few hours now.
Suggestions to dose or not??? I have a 120 and plan on dripping so how many drips per min or how to judge that??
Questions What will this do???
What all does it help etc???
How many of you do it???
Everything you asked are dependent on quite a few things, but MOSTLY, what you have in your tank as far as stock.
Under normal circumstances, water changes will suffice. Start adding lost of corals, clams, etc, then you get into advanced reef chemistry.
Sooooooo,
What is in your tank first of all.
Are you having problems second of all. IN other words, why are you even thinking about it?
And third, OK, there were only 2.
-WL

zackp00

Tank is a 120
Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, bi color blenny, diamond gobi, emperor angel, 2 clowns, black and white damsel, some xenia, zoa's, mushrooms, and an orange carnation. 2 cleaner shrimp serveral snails and I don't know how many they are multiplying in my tank. crabs etc the normal clean up crew. I have been taking it very slow and found out about this due to reading up on coraline algae. I do a water change every 3 weeks and everything has seemed to be doing good. But I would like my corals to grow quicker and to help with my coraline growth. But then again I haven't added nothing and I mean nothing to it and don't no to start or not lol.....

posiden

I have to ask, what has you testing shown you? Do you own the proper tests for a reef tank?
If you aren't testing the water,then you shouldn't dose anything. If you aren't testing your water, then corals and coraline will always be a guessing game as to why they either grow or don't grow. What you posted for corals, your water changes will take care of them.

zackp00

I test my water and yes i test for calcium and alk and mag ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates umm i think that is it not sure will look when i get up again at all my test

posiden

http:///forum/post/3147053
I test my water and yes i test for calcium and alk and mag ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates umm i think that is it not sure will look when i get up again at all my test
That's great.
So, have your parameters ever been off consistantly? Like do you see a trend with calcium dropping before you do a water change? Does the alk stay in the same place?........

zackp00

To me my calcium and alk are always a little low.... but not to the point I have ever been worried but when I switched over a few months ago to my ro/di I have also noticed a drop in my ph but it has been stable so I wasnt really worried but had read corals seemed to favor a little better numbers and it seemed like the drip might cure it and i wanted to ask here and find out from you all

posiden

http:///forum/post/3147063
To me my calcium and alk are always a little low.... but not to the point I have ever been worried but when I switched over a few months ago to my ro/di I have also noticed a drop in my ph but it has been stable so I wasnt really worried but had read corals seemed to favor a little better numbers and it seemed like the drip might cure it and i wanted to ask here and find out from you all
I understand that. How much do you evap everyday? What are the numbers that you think are low? What salt do you use?
You can only put in as much Kalk as you evap in water everyday. The drip rate is matched to the evap rate from what I understand. So, if you can imagine, not very fast at all. Too much of kalk and you send the PH through the roof. I think what we all might be getting at is you might be better off dosing a 2 part then using Kalk if anything. If you haven't read up on Kalk and aren't sure how to do it. Then don't. I too have recently giving Kalk a thought. I printed off Randy holmes farley artical on it and another that goes with it. I have decide not to dose Kalk right now untill I get a better grasp on it.
You asked what does it do....In short it raises your PH and is a 2 part all in one.

jackri

Whats your calcium at now?
I add Mrs Wage's to my topoff water on my 90g reef and it adds some throughout the day as it replaces evaporation.
I guess I also didn't see anything in your stocklist that requires much of a calcium level.
I do know if you add too much at once you can swing your alk and pH levels. The off and on throughout the day through my Auto Top Off works good though. I do about one tsp (roughly) per gallon of ato water that mixes with a powerhead in a bucket to be dripped when needed.

posiden

http:///forum/post/3147099
Ya see that is what I am understanding it will do it all but has to be takin slowly. Here is a link to a good article I found I already have some mixed and just got done maken a doser so I am going to start a drip tonight I think I have mixed emotions still but feel it will be ok and help so I don't know
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Thats the artical.
What are the actual numbers that your tank runs at?

zackp00

calcium 360 before water change around 370 couple days after water change
ph 7.8-8 depending on when i test
temp 78-80
mag 1250
nitrites 0
nitrates 0
ammonia 0

spanko

For me I see nothing in your stock list or in your testing numbers that would warrant dosing of anything. If anything maybe you up your water change schedule a little say every 2 weeks instead of 3.

zackp00

I was reading on coraline algae and coral growth etc and came across the mrs wages articles and done alot of reading on it but still wasn't 100% sure if I would benefit from this or not and I thought I had read tha calcium @ 360 can actually stunt growth of corals etc...So I thought I would ask first and find out from you all

snakeblitz33

YAY! I love limewater threads!
Questions What will this do??? Kalkwasser will raise your pH level, raise your Calcium level, and raise your Alkalinity level.
How many of you do it??? I used to dose all of my tanks, when I had tanks.
Limewater (also known by the German term kalkwasser) can be made by dissolving either calcium oxide (CaO, also known as quicklime) or calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2, also known as lime or hydrated lime) in water.3 When calcium oxide is used, it hydrates to Ca(OH)2 on contact with water:
(1) CaO + H2O à Ca(OH)2 + heat
Consequently, there is little difference between using CaO and Ca(OH)2 except that CaO gives off a significant amount of heat when it hydrates. When these materials dissolve, they dissociate to calcium ions (Ca++) and hydroxide ions (OH-).
(2) Ca(OH)2 à Ca++ + 2OH-
Limewater actually contains a substantial amount of partially dissociated, but fully dissolved, calcium monohydroxide:
(3) Ca(OH)2 à CaOH+ + OH-
The calcium monohydroxide ion comprises about 25% of the total calcium at the pH of saturated limewater (pH 12.4).4
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/chem.htm
So, basically, when you dose kalkwasser early in the mornings, you should have a low pH in your aquarium. By slowly dosing kalkwasser throughout the day, you keep your pH up and stable, and you also increase your alkalinity level. You also raise your calcium and alkalinity in equil parts.
If your alkalinity is low, and you start to raise your calcium, but the calcium level is too high and your alkalinity is too low, you will see some calcium precipitate out when you dose the aquarium (little white flaky chunks.)
That is why you should increase your alkalinity to match your calcium level before you begin dosing kalkwasser.
To mix kalkwasser, you should add NO MORE than two tablespoons per gallon. On your first dose, you should only use about 1/4 tablespoon per gallon until you see a gradual rise in the calcium and alkalinity of your water column. After one week of dosing 1/4 tablespoon, you can increase it to 1/2 tablespoon per gallon the next week and then gradually increase it by 1/4 tablespoon until you can get to the 2 tablespoon mark.
The reason to slowly increase the amount of kalkwasser that you have used is to ensure that you do not pH shock your fish and corals. Adding too much limewater at a time will increase the pH too sharply, causing problems.
There is also another problem that I have come across when using kalkwasser if you dose only six days a week, your pH will drop on the seventh day. That is why, on the seventh day you should add a marine buffer to your aquarium and not dose your tank with kalkwasser. The reason for adding the pH buffer is that your aquarium becomes dependant on the additional pH that is being added to your tank.
Dosing kalkwasser doesn't have to be difficult - you just have to read and research a little bit.

snakeblitz33

So, I can give you an example of one of my tanks:
I had a 90 gallon aquarium with a 16 gallon sump. I had approximately 1 gallon of top off water that had to be added to the aquarium each day. Approximately 1 1/2 to 2 gallons during the Summer. I dripped the limewater into the system at approximately 1 drop per second in the mornings. On Sundays, I added a marine grade pH buffer to my top off water instead of limewater. and... BAM coralline algae explosion.
Do not use the slurry method unless you have pure marine grade kalkwasser. Mrs. Wages pickling lime is great for dripping in, but not great for use in kalkwasser stirrers.
Also, remember to mix your kalkwasser up in a sealable container while you mix it and let it sit. The more CO2 that touches the surface of the water, the more calcium precipitates out of the mixture.
The longer you let kalkwasser sit - the pH decreases, the alkalinity decreases, and the calcium level decreases, making it a lot less effective for your aquarium inhabitants. So, after about 2 hours it is ready, and after 24 hours you should throw it away.
Remember to never use milk jugs for mixing chemicals. Milk residue will ALWAYS be in there, no matter how much you sterilize. You should always use a distilled water jug or another container that has not handled food/food residue.
Good luck, and if you have any questions, just PM me to get me to come back to this thread. :D

zackp00

well i started dosing first thing this morning and plan on dosing every other day with my top off water and checkling levels daily while doing this.... I am going to take pics here in a bit and then i will take them in three more weeks and compare them to my last ones I make sure to take pics every three weeks to compare and check growth etc...

windlasher

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3147263
For me I see nothing in your stock list or in your testing numbers that would warrant dosing of anything. If anything maybe you up your water change schedule a little say every 2 weeks instead of 3.