OMG listen to the deal i just got i almost fainted

promisetbg

So two wrongs make a right? If the guy's prices are high you go somewhere else. It does'nt justify ripping him off. How do you know what supplier he is using or how much it costs him to ship? Tank raised neon gobies from ORA are expensive! Even though some fish are small,they can fetch a pretty high price.Some hobbyists are so fickle....they want want want and want it cheap..but really have no clue what it takes to run a small business or what the prices are. A fish may only cost the LFS $10,but he has to figure all his overhead, and find a profit somewhere as well. Gold neons go for $22.00 here..blues are almost as much.

dme

I say what goes around comes around. Happily soaking people 25 bucks for neon gobies
For you right there is very much different for if you knew or known that the price for the fish was too high, then why buy it only to complain about it now. For what people are speaking of that the lfs take advantage of are the hobbyist that have no clue to their tanks bio loads or whatever for like when they buy a fish shark or moray eel. Those poor souls give their trust to those lfs people and lord knows how many daily are being taking advantage of to what they not know.

O

oreo12

these where just indvidual corals and not colyonys of mutpliys right. That might be why they where priced at 2.99 Maybe they had some die off so they wanted to unload them on some sucker?

azocean709

Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC
I think it's the owners fault. He hires someone that is THAT inexperienced to work in his store? Imagine all the newbies that might go in there and ask this kid for advice, does the owner care then? NOPE.
I also don't think anyone here should knock the guy for ethics etc... since I am SURE each one that responded has benefited from a situation like this in their past, sometime. I personally would have been really really nervous going up to the register to pay for them. I would be wondering how they would ring up at the register etc and probably get stomach pains from being so nervous.
Anthony
There are unexperienced people working at the LFS near me. Im not but 3 yrs into the hobby , but i only deal with the owner. She is honest with me. If she doesnt know something she will get on the computer and find out. the fat little Prik she has workin there thinks he's a god of the ocean or something and dont know his head from his tail end. i really wanna knock him out, He tries to tell me things I know arent right...tried to price a chunk of live rock to me one time at 14.99 a pound when i knew it was only 7.99. I told him to go get the owner...he refused, so i found her myself and told er what this dip shyt was doin. I got him fired, and im glad. Now I took his place on the weekends, Im inexperienced too. but i do the research to give people the correct answers they are looking for.
Point is. you are always going to have unexperienced workers at a LFS. It's not like they are some high paid college grad in saltwater fish tanks gettin paid 50.000 a yr, They get paid minimal. Im nothing but a construction maggot..lol im a form carpenter for a concrete company. the fish store, hahah most of the time i work for store credit on what i want. Which works out pretty good, cause i get first pic on new shipments. IMO You should deal with the owners or at least always get a second opinion from the owner, and research before buying anything. It is not the owners fault for hiring inexperienced worker. to the person who got the 2.99 frags. I would check the real price, if they are 299.00 or what ever. I believe you should do the right thing and take them back or pay for them.

nm reef

wrong is wrong no matter how you attempt to color it.Being dishonest about making a purchase is the same as being dishonest in pricing....being dishonest is being a liar and being a liar is as low as you can get. How you justify dishonesty doesn't matter....a liar is a liar and a thief is a thief....and both are lower than the dirt we walk on.
But maybe thats just me!

connor

guys im not a thief its not B.S. i got them for 2.99! listen im a 13
yearold kid and never thought of it like that! he charges 119.99 for a little leather there prices are ungodly 58.99 for a gold stripe neon goby, i have bought almost everthing from this store and its not my fault the guy hires idiots! i didnt do anything dishonest but pay what the guy said!!!!! i will ask the manger how much they were supposed to be later. i just got a good deal OK. im sure if you asked a worker at the lfs how much they were and he said 2.99 you would have bought some!

crimzy

Originally Posted by connor
guys im not a thief its not B.S. i got them for 2.99! listen im a 13
yearold kid and never thought of it like that! he charges 119.99 for a little leather there prices are ungodly 58.99 for a gold stripe neon goby, i have bought almost everthing from this store and its not my fault the guy hires idiots! i didnt do anything dishonest but pay what the guy said!!!!! i will ask the manger how much they were supposed to be later. i just got a good deal OK. im sure if you asked a worker at the lfs how much they were and he said 2.99 you would have bought some!

Connor, don't pay any mind to the thief nonsense that's been written. It's easy for people to be supremely ethical when they are criticising someone ELSE'S experience. You are 100% right that no one else would complain about the low price or suggest to the lfs guy, "maybe you should charge me more than that." That's not going to happen. But when you tell your story here, you open yourself up to criticism and people like to act as if they have superior morals. Don't worry about it.
As an aside, when I was 12, I found a $20 bill on the street. I felt like I won the lottery that day. I'd go back to the store today and buy the rest of the frags in there.

connor

Originally Posted by crimzy
Connor, don't pay any mind to the thief nonsense that's been written. It's easy for people to be supremely ethical when they are criticising someone ELSE'S experience. You are 100% right that no one else would complain about the low price or suggest to the lfs guy, "maybe you should charge me more than that." That's not going to happen. But when you tell your story here, you open yourself up to criticism and people like to act as if they have superior morals. Don't worry about it.
As an aside, when I was 12, I found a $20 bill on the street. I felt like I won the lottery that day. I'd go back to the store today and buy the rest of the frags in there.

i was actually thinking about that and sell them to this other lfs that i go to lol i might

connor

Originally Posted by Blitz99
Connor, congrats on the theft... seriously, you should have asked for them to hold them until tomorrow and asked the owner the price... odds are he's not making a great deal of money on his LFS and this loss is a big one... but hey, i got an orchid dotty back for 18 bucks when he should have been 40.
i am sure if the guy said 2.99 to you you would not say hold them until the manager comes and gives me the right price! the guy has a rolls royce and a mercedes he has tons of money!

dme

don't pay any mind to the thief nonsense that's been written. It's easy for people to be supremely ethical when they are criticising someone ELSE'S experience. You are 100% right that no one else would complain about the low price or suggest to the lfs guy, "maybe you should charge me more than that."
That is one thing that is just not in my blood to take advantage of store help that has no knowledge in the corals they might sell if that lfs is too lazy how ever to label it as they should and the store owners found out that the person who sold it that cheap is not at fault but he/she should had asked one the staff what was that corals price.
There be two types of different people in the world, those who look for any advantage over those with lees to no knowledge and those that would feel forever more guilty by even thinking of doing something as this.
So in no way could I ever bring myself to rob others like this, for it is dishonest and just the same as stealing.
So the bottom line here conner, it was very wrong of you in not alerting the new person that, that couldn`t possibly be the price

connor

Originally Posted by DME
That is one thing that is just not in my blood to take advantage of store help that has no knowledge in the corals they might sell if that lfs is too lazy how ever to label it as they should and the store owners found out that the person who sold it that cheap is not at fault but he/she should had asked one the staff what was that corals price.
There be two types of different people in the world, those who look for any advantage over those with lees to no knowledge and those that would feel forever more guilty by even thinking of doing something as this.
So in no way could I ever bring myself to rob others like this, for it is dishonest and just the same as stealing.
So the bottom line here conner, it was very wrong of you in not alerting the new person that, that couldn`t possibly be the price

NO THE BOTTOM LINE IS HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW THEY WERENT SUPPOSED TO BE THAT PRICE

dme

NO THE BOTTOM LINE IS HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW THEY WERENT SUPPOSED TO BE THAT PRICE
Please not type in caps and for the love of god, what coral had you ever seen listed so cheap?

crimzy

By the way, anyone who calls this kid a thief should be ashamed of themself. If you think this is stealing then you need to go to school to learn what the definition of stealing is. Futhermore this was not dishonest. Connor is a 13 year old who was dealing with the lfs... presumably an employee who was older and more experienced than him. Connor has no reason to argue with a good price for something... how does he know that these frags were not just overstocked, damaged, on clearance, etc.? If you think that a transaction is only fair if you get the worse end of it then you are not going far in this world. Looking for deals and jumping on opportunities when they arise is simply good sense.

connor

Originally Posted by crimzy
By the way, anyone who calls this kid a thief should be ashamed of themself. If you think this is stealing then you need to go to school to learn what the definition of stealing is. Futhermore this was not dishonest. Connor is a 13 year old who was dealing with the lfs... presumably an employee who was older and more experienced than him. Connor has no reason to argue with a good price for something... how does he know that these frags were not just overstocked, damaged, on clearance, etc.? If you think that a transaction is only fair if you get the worse end of it then you are not going far in this world. Looking for deals and jumping on opportunities when they arise is simply good sense.
thank you