Opinions NEEDED! Is there are market for this?

aviator

Sorry guys, there's nothing I can do about how quickly they get me the circuit boards. I'm just as excited as everyone else!!
As soon as I have an update, I will let everyone know. The relays, capacitors, resistors, memory chips, coils, inducors, optocouplers, bucking regulators, supervisor chips, 110v outlets, power cords and receptacles and all the necessary wire as well as all the other "little" stuff arrived this afternoon. I am still waiting on several parts:
LCD screens, buttons, processors, PCB's, several connectors and the housings.
I have three different LCD's orderd, for testing:
2 blue on black
1 red on black
2 VFD's (like pictured in this post)
I also have 2 GLCD's ordered as well as the driver chips, but those won't be going out on the test units. I will post photos as soon as everything is here and the assembly starts.
All told, I'm going to have about $104 in each unit, so the $100 price point is busted. Looks like the total will be closer to $150 for the production units.

spanko

Originally Posted by aviator
http:///forum/post/3294408
............As soon as I have an update, I will let everyone know. The relays, capacitors, resistors, memory chips, coils, inducors, optocouplers, bucking regulators, supervisor chips, 110v outlets, power cords and receptacles and all the necessary wire as well as all the other "little" stuff arrived this afternoon. I am still waiting on several parts:........
In the words of Tim the tool man Taylor....................."You're darn right more power!"

desertdawg

Right now I have a tangle of cords with oddball timers in different places and power strips plugged into plug in breakers.... Yeah count me in big time as a tester if you go through with this.
Just yesterday I noticed if I touch my sunpower housing while I'm wet I get a nice little tingle....ack!!!

spanko

I come looking for an inexpensive alternative to total control of my reef.............................................................................I leave disappointed. :>(

aviator

First off, my apologies to everyone for making it seem like I've' abandoned this thread. Trust me, I have not abandoned the project and will work to keep the thread updated. I have, however, landed a rather large work contract that has been taking all of my time. Here's an update:

I have all of the components in house (minus the LCD's that had to be used for in a commercial application). I also have the cut boards in house. I have the enclosures, the buttons that I plan on using - all of it. My code has outgrown the memory chip I am using so I've had to upgrade to a full 256K chip and I'm waiting on those to arrive, no biggie.

Right now, all my spare time is going to my family. Luckily, I have a wonderful wife who has been remembering to feed to fish for me (though she claims that she's forgotten what I look like, LOL!) As soon as can get this work contract under control and launched, I will get back on this project. With a little luck, it won't be too much longer before I can get this going again.

Again, my apologies for the delay in responding. Funny how your priorities change when a company like General Dynamics waves a big check in front of your nose... but hey, that's business.

spanko

Thank you for the update. Yup get everything in order, we will wait, patiently...........perhaps!

gill again68

Glad to see that you got all your priorities straight. Its such a cool project that I think we cant hardly wait to see it completed.

aviator

Only update I've got right now is this: I'm working with a vendor to get a relativley inexpensive touchscreen OLED module. I'm currently on the east coast working with Lockheed Martin on the contract mentioned above. As soon as I get home, I hope to get back on this little project.

aquapod 24

i think it would be nice if you could sell a separate auto top off unit that senses the water level and adjusts it accordingly that plugs into your main unit.

aviator

Alright - Here's some eye candy for you guys.
The new full color Touchscreen for the project... just in static mode here, but this is what the interface will look like. I will add more pictures as the interface evolves.
What does everyone think?
The screen is 3.5" by 3.5" It's the perfect size to have plenty of funtionality, but not so big that it cost $500 a piece! This DEFINATLEY blows the $100 budget for each unit though. In fact, it may very well double that.